• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1198908-1498429567-5495.jpeg.jpg  R-2520725-1492622697-2051.jpeg.jpg  R-2129588-1265638719.jpeg.jpg  R-9948066-1489060651-2586.jpeg.jpg

As I sometimes do, I worked my way backwards through the history of jazz tonight - stylistically, if not strictly chronologically.

Don Pullen featuring Sam Rivers - Capricorn Rising (Black Saint).
Gary Burton - Who is Gary Burton? (RCA).
Jazz at the Philharmonic - The Coleman Hawkins Set (Verve).
Billie & DeDe Pierce - At Luthjen's (Center).

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

R-1198908-1498429567-5495.jpeg.jpg  R-2520725-1492622697-2051.jpeg.jpg  R-2129588-1265638719.jpeg.jpg  R-9948066-1489060651-2586.jpeg.jpg

As I sometimes do, I worked my way backwards through the history of jazz tonight - stylistically, if not strictly chronologically.

Don Pullen featuring Sam Rivers - Capricorn Rising (Black Saint).
Gary Burton - Who is Gary Burton? (RCA).
Jazz at the Philharmonic - The Coleman Hawkins Set (Verve).
Billie & DeDe Pierce - At Luthjen's (Center).

Reminder to self: if ever invited to jeffcrom's for the evening, arrive fashionably late. :)

Among todays great finds for £3 each -

Gil Evans ‘ Into The Hot’, Australian Impulse mono from 1962. RVG in the runout, non-gatefold lam sleeve with insert. Cool !

Johnny Griffin ‘Footpatting’. Clarke/Boland session UK issue on Youngblood from 1970.

Plus -

Dennis Gonzalez New Dallas Quartet ‘Stefan’ on Silkheart

Michel Portal ‘Turbulence’ on Harmonia Mundi..

Barney Kessel on UK Vogue/Contemporary

plus a whole batch of Joe Pass Pablos, one signed by Joe by the looks of it (badly).

Edited by sidewinder

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Among todays great finds for £3 each -

Johnny Griffin ‘Footpatting’. Clarke/Boland session UK issue on Youngblood from 1970.

Very nice find .... originally relased as "Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz" on German Vogue .... excellent and (IMO) rather underappreciated Johnny Griffin release ....

16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Very nice find .... originally relased as "Lady Heavy Bottom's Waltz" on German Vogue .... excellent and (IMO) rather underappreciated Johnny Griffin release ....

Yep, I have the session on that very nice Johnny Griffin Rearward 2LP. Couldn’t resist this Youngblood version hiding from me in the pile though. LP in very good condition, although some philistine has written ‘rubbish’ in light biro on the back. Still, at £3 not complaining !

The sonics on the Gil Evans are superlative. Best version of this one I have heard. Amazingly, for a near 60 year old LP the vinyl is near mint.

Edited by sidewinder

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yep, I have the session on that very nice Johnny Griffin Rearward 2LP. Couldn’t resist this Youngblood version hiding from me in the pile though. LP in very good condition, although some philistine has written ‘rubbish’ in light biro on the back. Still, at £3 not complaining !

The sonics on the Gil Evans are superlative. Best version of this one I have heard. Amazingly, for a near 60 year old LP the vinyl is near mint.

Congrats No. 2 :D ....

Just now, mjazzg said:

Two excellent album there too

Yep, glad I sprung for them. I have seen Portal live and remember the comments on the Gonzales Silkhearts on this board.

Other items I picked up were a Coltrane ‘Kulu Se Mama’ red/black Impulse (sadly, not £3) and a Dizzy Gillespie/Arturo Sandoval ‘Finland Station’ Pablo on what looks like a dubious Cuban version. That one was a punt..:huh:

15 hours ago, lipi said:

Reminder to self: if ever invited to jeffcrom's for the evening, arrive fashionably late. :)

I know you would want to miss the first couple of records - would you want to arrive before or after Coleman Hawkins?

Now playing:

main_a269eaa4-a37b-4b3b-abe3-1afeb26e790

Kenny Clarke Plays Andre Hodeir (Epic). Clarke is excellent and Hodeir's charts are fascinating, but Martial Solal just about steals the show.