wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,898 posts in this topic

Now ripping

Waymon Reed - 46th & 8th - Artists House (1977)

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

I saw this in Mole Jazz in 1990 and grabbed it immediately - well, I knew who Waymon Reed was - a trumpet player with James Brown. And, looking at the back, it got better than THAT!

With Jimmy Forrest, Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham.

Nice session, which I've not played since 2012 and MISSED it!

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of my age (15 or so), I first heard of Waymon Reed when he was with Basie, in a review that referred to him as "former James Brown trumpeter Waymon Reed". And I know he was with Basie when I saw him in December of 1970.

Well, those seemed, at the time, like two worlds that wouldn't ordinarily collide, but not too much longer I found a copy of Soul On Top and cleared all that up!

Wondering what if any Basie records document of Fred Wesley's time with the band?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Now ripping

Waymon Reed - 46th & 8th - Artists House (1977)

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

I saw this in Mole Jazz in 1990 and grabbed it immediately - well, I knew who Waymon Reed was - a trumpet player with James Brown. And, looking at the back, it got better than THAT!

With Jimmy Forrest, Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham.

Nice session, which I've not played since 2012 and MISSED it!

MG

Very intrigued and the price seems right on discogs.  And since I don't feel like Sangrey feels about Durham, that's not a drawback. :g

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durham does no harm on this one, and Jimmy Forrest sounds great. Buy with confidence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't agree more.

Just been ripping Al Grey's "Struttin' & shoutin'' (Columbia, 1976)

R-4762345-1393072147-1862.jpeg.jpg

I don't think too much of Columbia, but this is a very nice one, with Waymon Reed!!! and Danny Moore, who probably is the trumpet player you can hear, Jimmy Forrest (YAY!) Cecil Payne, Ray Bryant, Milt Hinto and, again, Bobby Durham.

And, continuing my ripping day,

Al Grey - Shades of Grey (Tangerine, 1965)

R-5462624-1443295070-1362.jpeg.jpg

With Sweets, Jaws, Vi Redd, Grover Mitchell, William Hughes, Kirk Stuart, on piano and - sounding a lot like Ray Charles - I wonder if it's a non-de-date - Wyatt Ruther and Sonny Payne.

Jim sent me a rip of this six years ago, but each side was all one track and I'm less keen on listening to albums like that. I got this and 'Strutting & shoutin'" from someone here whose name I know, but I've forgotten his ID, a few months later.

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still rippin'.

Now doing Groove Holmes - X77 (PJ, c1970)

R-1834243-1387880711-3475.jpeg.jpg

With Thornel Schwartz, Paul Humphrey and someone called Bob West on electric bass, presumably because the X77 didn't have bass pedals - but would have been more easily transported. It's definitely less groovy and the organ doesn't sound any too good, but...

Haven't played THIS one since 2012. Actually, it's getting better than I remembered it :) Must be lowering my standards.

MG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I've substantially enjoyed all the later PJ sides that groove made, even the one with Ernie Watts!

134304.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Actually, I've substantially enjoyed all the later PJ sides that groove made, even the one with Ernie Watts!

134304.jpg

I like that one, too. Never heard a Holmes I haven't liked. And I think I've got 'em all.

MG

No, I haven't got 'The 6,000,000 man'. Never heard it, either. Title doesn't seem terribly attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok, fun enough. It was one of Oliver Nelson's last projects, not one of his major efforts by any means...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one going 'cheep cheep' in a remainders shop in London once and thought, '$6,000,000 man'? Come off it Groove! Well, If I see another I may get it. After all, I've got this, which I just finished ripping/

9000000340626.jpg

Star wars (1977 Versatile)

Last, before I turn off the turntable for the evening,

 

R-6323649-1455960850-4956.mpo.jpg

Red Holloway - Hittin' the road again.

This one never fails to get a play at least once a year or sometimes more often.

MG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The $6,000,000 Man was a hit TV show that Oliver Nelson composed the theme for, that's what that was all about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-3838684-1346416530-8781.jpeg.jpg

Jack Costanzo/Tubby Hayes (Fontana)

RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Al Grey & Jimmy Forrest - OD - with Don Patterson, Peter Leitch & Charlie Rice

R-1834435-1369808891-3011.jpeg.jpg

Just ripping this to my computer. One of the greatest Forrest recordings IMO.

I have a copy of that one very nicely signed by Al Grey - and also Jimmy Forrest I think. It was obviously sold at one of their UK gigs. Will have to dig it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have a copy of that one very nicely signed by Al Grey - and also Jimmy Forrest I think. It was obviously sold at one of their UK gigs. Will have to dig it out.

My copy of 'Shades of Grey' is signed by him.

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Still rippin'.

Now doing Groove Holmes - X77 (PJ, c1970)

R-1834243-1387880711-3475.jpeg.jpg

With Thornel Schwartz, Paul Humphrey and someone called Bob West on electric bass, presumably because the X77 didn't have bass pedals - but would have been more easily transported. It's definitely less groovy and the organ doesn't sound any too good, but...

Haven't played THIS one since 2012. Actually, it's getting better than I remembered it :) Must be lowering my standards.

MG

 

Bob West played on several West Coast dates, including Clare Fischer's "Extensions."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Bob West played on several West Coast dates, including Clare Fischer's "Extensions."

I never got that one. Thought 5 of his was enough.

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51eEIHclxmL._SX425_.jpg

Reggie Lucas, Survival Themes.

Crisis_%28Ornette_Coleman_album%29.jpg

Ornette Coleman, Crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SamJones_Bassist.png

Sam Jones - The Bassist! (Discovery, 1979)
with Kenny Barron & Keith Copeland

 

 

 

6 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Just been ripping Al Grey's "Struttin' & shoutin'' (Columbia, 1976)

R-4762345-1393072147-1862.jpeg.jpg

I don't think too much of Columbia, but this is a very nice one, with Waymon Reed!!! and Danny Moore, who probably is the trumpet player you can hear, Jimmy Forrest (YAY!) Cecil Payne, Ray Bryant, Milt Hinto and, again, Bobby Durham.

Struttin' & Shoutin' is a TERRIFIC record. :tup:tup:tup 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I never got that one. Thought 5 of his was enough.

MG

You probably missed the best one then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-5874447-1511410281-2128.jpeg.jpg

Richie Beirach & Frank Tusa - Sunday Song (Trio, 1975)
Beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

You probably missed the best one then.

I doubt it - I got 'First time out', 'Surging ahead' (my favourite), 'Thesaurus', 'Easy living' and 'Great white hope'.

Must get round to ripping them some time, or they'll never get played again.

MG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paul secor said:

See the source image

Marion Brown - Gunter Hampel: Reeds 'n Vibes (IAI)

33628360vg.gif!

There is also a video of this session:

33628375ti.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I doubt it - I got 'First time out', 'Surging ahead' (my favourite), 'Thesaurus', 'Easy living' and 'Great white hope'.

Must get round to ripping them some time, or they'll never get played again.

MG

"Thesaurus" is the only one of those you've mentioned that's at all comparable, and "Extensions," while different, is arguably superior -- certainly in execution. And though it does lack Warne Marsh, Jerry Coker is an interesting substitute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.