• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

Yep ....

I have that also on LP, not on CD. Interesting the 1953 sides that have much darker colours than the early ones. In general, as the years went on, I started to begin to have difficulties listening to some very early Bud stuff, since I have difficulties listening to piano runs in the highest register. First I can´t hear the high notes very well starts to sound "thin".

As others I started to appreciate much more the later stuff which maybe has lost some virtuosity, but sounds really "deep", especially the way he played the chords on ballads. His "Embraceable You" here is a classic, But still he had all his virtuosity as his flashy runs on "Woodyn You" shows. This 1953 session together with the BN with Fats and Sonny or the 1953 is the greatest early Bud.

20 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-10025447-1490343651-5029.jpeg.jpg

Roy Eldridge: Little Jazz (Vogue)

My copy has a different cover and a somewhat different track listing, but I couldn't find an image for mine. Some beautiful Roy Eldridge to be heard there.

Agreed! I have this Vogue Jazz Double https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Eldridge-Little-Jazz/release/5431408, see Side One (A1-A6) and Side Two (B1-B6)!

29 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I bought that as a new release while in High School. Purchased at Younkers in downtown Des Moines Iowa. Same place I got Africa/Brass.

Nice. . . .If you were listening to jazz in high school, you were hip to it before I was. I didn't discover jazz until I was in college. ;) 

NP:

jackso_milt_secondnat_101b.jpg

Bags with Lucky Thompson

Earlier:

MiltJacksonColemanHawkins_BeanBags.png

Bags with Hawk

R-4975360-1383302637-7045.jpeg.jpg

Tommy Flanagan, Reggie Workman, Joe Chambers - The Super Jazz Trio (RCA Jazz Line, France)

Originally released in Japan on Baystate. I assume this is that label's response to Hank Jones' "Great Jazz Trio," who was recording for the Japanese East Wind label at the time.

Excellent music. Super, even. ;)