• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You so know it!  what we have here is the Canada Tv b'cast + canadian restaurant tape (partial)-, that where recently issued in full on Uptown CD for the first time. + the 1953 bandbox stuff with diz, + bird and candido birdland 53 + "your fathers mustache" chubby jackson.  + one of five versions of 'easy to love' from set 1,2,3,4,or 5, to be determined, apollo theatre w/ strings '50!!

On 1/21/2015 at 3:26 PM, Leeway said:

Stan+Tracey+Live+In+London-471741.jpg

LIVE IN LONDON - Sal Nistico/Stan Tracey Quintet: Tracey (p), Art Themen (ts, ss), Roy Babbington (b), Clark Tracey (d). Steam LP.

A nice, somewhat disregarded date; the two tenors play off each other well. Isn't Babbington a perfect onomatopoeia name for a bassist?

I saw this in a store yesterday for $10 but didn't buy it, mainly because it was pouring rain so I didn't want it getting soaked. Was I wrong? Should I go back and buy it today?

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

29218725.jpg

Soul Note - nice memento of seeing Knepper, Adams and Richmond around the time this was recorded. Possibly the same European tour ?

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I saw this in a store yesterday for $10 but didn't buy it, mainly because it was pouring rain so I didn't want it getting soaked. Was I wrong? Should I go back and buy it today?

I would say ‘yes’, although I haven’t heard it.:) Can’t be too many Steam LPs that made it to the USA as this was Stan and Jackie Tracey’s own label and I think this title is one of the more obscure ones. According to the bio, Stan enjoyed gigging with Sal.

Edited by sidewinder

R-2611392-1349819483-3078.jpeg.jpg

Monty Alexander - Here Comes the Sun (MPS)

I was reading the sleeve notes and noticed that Don Schlitten produced this LP. I was aware that Schlitten had produced for MPS in the early-70s, but I didn't realize that he had worked with Alexander. ...Turns out, Schlitten produced a couple other Alexander MPS LPs as well. I only know now because I just checked on discogs. ;) 

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How does that compare in content to Cool Cookin' from a few years earlier?

Jim, I don't have Cool Cookin', so I can't really say.  ...I just took a look at the Cool Cookin' track listing on discogs, and it looks like there's some overlap between the two albums. But not a lot, only a few songs.

One thing that I do like about the Recapitulation set: Richard Evans' 17-minute "Suite for Guitar & Orchestra" is unabridged. On the Cool Cookin' set, they only excerpt two sections from it.

Indeed!

The Cool Cookin' date was sorta "famous" (in a totally geeky way) for having some (two?) cuts from the Vanguard trio date that hadn't been out before. I think they all are now?

No matter, those Burrell dates are (were?) great all-purpose party records. Everybody dug Kenny Burrell, players, non-players, men, women, you couldn't miss with records like these at a party, unless there were squares in the room, and you know what Cynthia & Jerry said...

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Indeed!

The Cool Cookin' date was sorta "famous" (in a totally geeky way) for having some (two?) cuts from the Vanguard trio date that hadn't been out before. I think they all are now?

Recapitulation has two more never-before-released cuts from the Vanguard also.  I believe they've now all been issued on a single CD.

...That geeky-ness that you mention, I think many of us 'round these parts have that particular affliction. ;)  

R-3838220-1447874410-8857.jpeg.jpg

Barry Harris - Stay Right With It (Milestone). Record one of a Milestone two-fer compilation of tracks from four of Harris's Riverside albums. I'm using this to test a Christmas present from my wife - a record weight/clamp. My otherwise wonderful turntable has a noticeable degree of flutter when playing LPs. It's not apparent on many records, but it bothers me when playing LPs featuring instruments of absolutely stable pitch, like piano or vibes. The clamp seems to help a lot - I'm not hearing the flutter, even on side two, which features Harris playing solo.