• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2375993-1280406335.png.jpg  R-9664120-1484413345-7444.jpeg.jpg  R-1768248-1326512651.jpeg.jpg

Gary Burton - Something's Coming (RCA Victor stereo)

The Chicagoans: The Austin High Gang 1928-1930 (MCA Jazz Heritage Series). These Jazz Heritage LPs are not ideal in terms of quality of the transfers, but this one doesn't sound bad when I run mono, and there are some tracks here which I don't elsewhere.

The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up (Epic mono). Side one of this US LP has 1965 studio recordings with Jeff Beck on guitar; side two is taken the British album Five Live Yardbirds: live in London in 1964 with Mr. Clapton on guitar.

R-569681-1281741844.jpeg.jpg

Norman Connors - Love from the Sun (Buddah)
I dig this LP from start to finish. It's a gem. But my favorite track is the opening cut, Herbie's "Revelation." The composition and arrangement could easily have appeared on Speak Like a Child or The Prisoner. ...The way Herbie creates such beautiful harmonies in a small ensemble context is so distinctive! It's a kind of perfection. 

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-8978899-1472651986-2814.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Memo-10-From-Memo/release/8978899

Got this 'cause Cal Tjader plays on it, if only on a few tracks, and barely audible. Only for Tjader discographers .... 

Mel Martin? The same Mel Martin? How old is this record?

Ok, I thought it was an old West Coast record, but it's pop/disco. So yes, THAT Mel Martin, that makes sense.

There is no information on the recording date - maybe Tjader biographer Duncan S. Reid can ask producer Ed Bogas, in case he is still in contact with him, and Bogas remembers. But it should be from the early 1970's. Mel Martin has a few nice, if rather short solos, on tenor and flute. A pop record, for sure, and running only 24 minutes. 

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-8978899-1472651986-2814.jpeg.jpg

Sammy Price and His Bluesicians - 1944

Tracks info accessible here:

https://itunes.apple.com/tt/album/1944/919514704

This is complete session with unissued alternates and breakdowns, what got me excited was seeing Ike Quebec on this, totally new to me.  And with Bill Coleman on trumpet and Joe Eldridge on alto. Anyone else know Roy had a brother?  I'm sure someone around here knew that but I surely did not.  Anyway - new Ike and most nice, in good sound!

price.JPG

On 1/4/2019 at 8:02 PM, jeffcrom said:

R-2862110-1327169094.jpeg.jpg

Sun Ra - Media Dreams (Saturn). I'm amazed that I found a picture which matches my cover - there were many different covers, and this one has cutouts or stickers pasted to a plain white LP cover. What great music!

i freaking met Marshall Allen Danny Ray Thompson and Michael Ray at 1:30am this morning