wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

43,982 posts in this topic

R-2027406-1259410014.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman - Sunbound, Volume One [AECO Records]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-12416198-1535192214-2161.jpeg.jpg

Harold McKinney - Voices And Rhythms Of The Creative Profile [Pure Pleasure]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Led Zeppelin 2, UK first pressing, "plum label" Atlantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, mjazzg said:

R-12416198-1535192214-2161.jpeg.jpg

Harold McKinney - Voices And Rhythms Of The Creative Profile [Pure Pleasure]

What do you think of that LP, mjazzg?

I plopped for Pure Pleasure's reissue of Harold Vick's Don't Look Back. It's fantastic. ... Gotta give props to Pure Pleasure for mining the Tribe, Strata, and Strata-East archives. ... I hope they get around to reissuing John Hick's Hells Bells. I rarely buy new vinyl, but if they offer that LP, I'll be all over it. 

EDIT: 
I just went to Pure Pleasure's website, and it looks like they ARE reissuing Hells Bells soon!  :D  ... What a strange coincidence. Or is it synchronicity??? ;) 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP:

ClaudeHopkins_Soliloquy.jpg

Claude Hopkins - Soliloquy (Sackville, 1972)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

What do you think of that LP, mjazzg?

I plopped for Pure Pleasure's reissue of Harold Vick's Don't Look Back. It's fantastic. ... Gotta give props to Pure Pleasure for mining the Tribe, Strata, and Strata-East archives. ... I hope they get around to reissuing John Hick's Hells Bells. I rarely buy new vinyl, but if they offer that LP, I'll be all over it. 

EDIT: 
I just went to Pure Pleasure's website, and it looks like they ARE reissuing Hells Bells soon!  :D  ... What a strange coincidence. Or is it synchronicity??? ;) 

 

And I was just about to tell you about 'Hells Bells'...isn't it great when record companies do our bidding....

I'm really enjoying the McKinney particularly the vocal elements which pleases me as it was a bit of a punt on the back of minimal sampling. I think the Vick will be in my bag fairly soon too.

NP. Jerome Cooper, Kalaparusha, Frank Lowe - Positions [Kharma]

great music that overcomes a pretty primitive live recording that makes the players sound like their down the end of a corridor or even next door! 

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Jerome Cooper record; it sounds like field recordings, sort of an 'ethnography' of free music.

wish that Serro had issued that Charles 'Bobo' Shaw Ensemble record with Lester & Byron Bowie, Alex Blake and Richard Martin. Shaw said it was one of his favorite sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BuddyTate_LiveatSandys.png

Buddy Tate & the Muse All Stars - Live at Sandy's (Muse, rec. 1978)
with Ray Bryant (p), George Duvivier (b), and Alan Dawson (d)

Excellent.

 

And now the companion LP:

Hard_Blowin%27.jpg

Buddy Tate - Hard Blowin': Live at Sandy's (Muse)

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

BuddyTate_LiveatSandys.png

Buddy Tate & the Muse All Stars - Live at Sandy's (Muse, rec. 1978)
with Ray Bryant (p), George Duvivier (b), and Alan Dawson (d)

Hard_Blowin%27.jpg

Buddy Tate - Hard Blowin': Live at Sandy's (Muse)

Both 👍👍!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I like that Jerome Cooper record; it sounds like field recordings, sort of an 'ethnography' of free music.

wish that Serro had issued that Charles 'Bobo' Shaw Ensemble record with Lester & Byron Bowie, Alex Blake and Richard Martin. Shaw said it was one of his favorite sessions.

I like the 'ethnography' descriptor.  It's vital music and does transcend the recording quality.

The Shaw Ensemble recording would be great to hear. I've never heard a Charles Shaw recording I've not really enjoyed

Edited by mjazzg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

The Shaw Ensemble recording would be great to hear. I've never heard a Charles Shaw recording I've not really enjoyed

I'm not sure whether it was going to be a Kharma release or a Danola release, but it never came out. Serro was trying to sell the tapes but then he passed, so... who knows. They were mastered and ready to go, too. Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, porcy62 said:

R-5846130-1411456957-4582.jpeg.jpg

King pressing.

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomatamot said:

:tup

I am not a huge fan of Criss, but this one is a solid bop record and Barney Kessel is a plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

SONNY_ROLLINS_3%2BGIANTS%21-446095.jpg

Transatlantic

I didn't know it existed!

Edited by porcy62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, porcy62 said:

I didn't know it existed!

Funilly enough, I prefer the sound for the side 1 tracks on the 24000 series ‘Sonny Rollins’ 2LP set. Found the Transatlantic by chance a while back - didn’t cost much either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a transatlantic white label? I've got great sounding records of Pentangle, Renbourn and Jansch.

Edited by porcy62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Is it a transatlantic white label? I've got great sounding records of Pentangle, Renbourn and Jansch.

Yes, white label from the mid 1960s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, white label from the mid 1960s.

That guy, whoever's name, knew what he was doing.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Funilly enough, I prefer the sound for the side 1 tracks on the 24000 series ‘Sonny Rollins’ 2LP set. Found the Transatlantic by chance a while back - didn’t cost much either.

I find the twoofers' sound excellent, it was my introducion to a lot of new music, maybe I am not really impartial about it.

Edited by porcy62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My turntable isn't set up yet after the move but I have a short stack of things to play. This is near the top:

s-l1600.jpg

I want to hear the Bartok 2nd from 1937 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now spinning:

R-1558456-1228288382.jpeg.jpg

Waymon Reed - 46th and 8th (Artists House, 1979)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 6:06 PM, porcy62 said:

Guess it's time for some Vodka Martini, olives and Jackie McLean's

41454.jpg

Though Jackie McLean recorded much more originals during that time, it´s welcome to hear him play standards on this. It is much better than the many Prestige records he did in the mid fifties. I also enjoy this very much. "Let´s face the music and dance" I think was not often recorded by jazz artists. A strange tune, and not too easy running thru the changes..... quite a challenge for improvisers......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.