Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, paul secor said:

:tup A reminder for me to listen to that one.

I hadn't listened for awhile because: A) I had in my mind that this was a lesser version of the Unit, and B) it's an hour and a half long. Well, it's not the "tightest" of the Units in terms of developing Taylor's material, but it's perhaps the most varied in terms of strategies for dealing with that material - there is more variety of texture and tone color than on most Taylor albums. And this is some of the best Leroy Jenkins I've heard - he's really on fire here.

And recorded on Paul Secor's birthday, 1987.

This spin makes me regret my decision back in 1988 - I had the choice of buying Live in Bologna from the same tour on either double LP or edited CD. I chose wrongly, and now have the CD.

3 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

I hadn't listened for awhile because: A) I had in my mind that this was a lesser version of the Unit, and B) it's an hour and a half long. Well, it's not the "tightest" of the Units in terms of developing Taylor's material, but it's perhaps the most varied in terms of strategies for dealing with that material - there is more variety of texture and tone color than on most Taylor albums. And this is some of the best Leroy Jenkins I've heard - he's really on fire here.

And recorded on Paul Secor's birthday, 1987.

This spin makes me regret my decision back in 1988 - I had the choice of buying Live in Bologna from the same tour on either double LP or edited CD. I chose wrongly, and now have the CD.

Too bad that wasn't my birth date. I only wish that I were 31 - but knowing what I know now. :D

R-2912273-1542211334-2421.jpeg.jpg  R-2414387-1350220694-8762.png.jpg

Two vocal LPs:

Rosemary Clooney - Clap Hands! Here Comes Rosie (RCA mono). I recently found a cheap, near-mint copy of this and spun it for the first time tonight. It could have been a great album. Rosie is in good voice, the songs are mostly well-chosen, and there are jazz solos by Pete Candoli, Bud Shank, etc. - and there are uncredited vibraphone obligatos that sound like Eddie Costa to me. But the arrangements are kind of corny and novelty-ish. It could have been a contender....

Jeanne Lee/Ran Blake - The Newest Sound Around (RCA stereo). The Real Deal.

37 minutes ago, paul secor said:

R-1218412-1506713645-3366.jpeg.jpg

A really important record for me.

NP: Baritone sax on 10" LPs -

R-3901768-1389907973-8016.jpeg.jpg  gullinContemp10.jpg

Gerry Mulligan Quartet (Pacific Jazz). A couple of years ago I found a beautiful copy of Pacific Jazz #1 in Bellingham, Washington. I'm happy to be its caretaker for a few years, until someone else inherits it.

Lars Gullin - Modern Sounds: Sweden (Contemporary). Two 1953 sessions - quartet and quintet.

The_Unknowable___5a9d4b57eb242.jpg

Dave Liebman/Tatsuya Nakatina/Adam Rudolph - The Unknowable [RareNoise]

first of two new Liebman's on RareNoise Records (the other has Hamid Drake instead of Nakatina). This one is beautifully recorded. Rudolph's live processing really adds to the overall effect.

As a Liebman agnostic this was a bit of a risk but I'm pleased I took it