Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2977723-1437079136-7011.jpeg.jpg

Modern Jazz Festival (Harmony). I originally sought out this collection of 1956-57 tracks because it has one of the rarest early Steve Lacy tracks - his appearance on "Give Me the Simple Life" by the Joe Puma Sextet. (The other issued tune from the session, "Indian Blanket," was even harder to find - only issued on a French anthology. Both tracks are now out there on European PD CDs.) But there are many other pleasures on this album - Randy Weston, Zoot Sims, The Jazz Modes - and I enjoy this one every time I spin it.

R-890009-1177243654.jpeg.jpg

Side two has Gerry Mulligan and Bud Shank with synthesizer, harp, and the grand organ of the Grace Cathedral, where it was recorded. Perhaps one of the least known items in the two saxists' discographies. Faintly reminds me of Paul Horn's Inside LPs. Mulligan's baritone in the cavern of that Catheral with its seven seconds decay is something else.

Edited by mikeweil

Comparing my pristine condition 1960's Pacifici Jazz LP with the recent Japanese CD resissue - both really sound different. The LP has a more natural balance and dynamics, the CD has the higher frequencies boosted up and the piano less audible in the mix - strange. I'll stick with my LP.

R-4338261-1362168449-8568.jpeg.jpg

Now spinning Herbie Mann - I still know exactly where I bought this LP! This  band had a serious groove going!

R-1590065-1238874822.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-3566087-1393513185-7381.jpeg.jpg

Masahiko Togashi - Spiritual Nature [East West]

R-9123275-1475172904-4185.jpeg.jpg

Rod Levitt Orchestra - Forty-Second Street [RCA Victor]

R-1617727-1232463114.jpeg.jpg

Ornette Coleman - Prime Design/Time Design [Caravan Of Dreams Productions]

Good choices. I have the other two Rod Levitt RCA albums and dig them. The Ornette is wild!

10 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Good choices. I have the other two Rod Levitt RCA albums and dig them. The Ornette is wild!

It was certainly a mix of styles across the morning. Love the Ornette!

Looking at them again I realise they are all titles I purchased either directly or indirectly because of posts on this board. So there was a connection. 

Edited by mjazzg

16 minutes ago, Clunky said:

I’m afraid I ditched the Rod Levitt album pictured. I had to say goodbye to around 100 LPs in a vain attempt to keep the collection under control. It’s not bad by any means but didn’t grab me enough.

yeah, I pulled the RCAs out because I am needing to cull; they went back in.