Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-7256924-1437327889-1142.jpeg.jpg

Le Jazz en France, Volume 1: Paris 1919-1923 - Premiers Jazz Bands (Pathe). The kind of antiquarian archeology that fascinates me, and which won't appeal to too many others here. The actual jazz content is minimal, but this is extremely interesting music nonetheless. There are six tracks by Mitchell's Jazz Kings, who were very influential in France - this is the jazz that Milhaud and Ravel heard. And it's a pretty good band - the trumpeter is Cricket Smith, who had played with James Reese Europe.

R-10127967-1492107901-7816.jpeg.jpg

Sun Ra - Hello Mr. Schimmel (Gearbox 7"). I was so impressed with the quality of the recent Gearbox Monk LP that I looked at their catalog online. This previously unreleased solo piano fantasy immediately jumped out at me. Side B is a wild 1990 interview with London radio host Jez Nelson. After the interview, Nelson showed Ra the studio's Schimmel piano. Sunny said, "Hello Mr. Schimmel," and played the piece preserved on side one.

37 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

R-10127967-1492107901-7816.jpeg.jpg

Sun Ra - Hello Mr. Schimmel (Gearbox 7"). I was so impressed with the quality of the recent Gearbox Monk LP that I looked at their catalog online. This previously unreleased solo piano fantasy immediately jumped out at me. Side B is a wild 1990 interview with London radio host Jez Nelson. After the interview, Nelson showed Ra the studio's Schimmel piano. Sunny said, "Hello Mr. Schimmel," and played the piece preserved on side one.

whoa

R-6027714-1409181718-6085.jpeg.jpg

Kosuke Mine Quintet - Second Album [Three Blind Mice]

I'm always taken by how good this is when it gets its far too occasional outings. Takashi Imai on trombone really stood out today, I need to hear more by him

R-7159541-1435060040-6512.jpeg.jpg

Various Artists - GinParis Session 1963 [Three Blind Mice]

Edited by mjazzg