What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 3/20/2019 at 1:46 AM, Dmitry said:

Turns out both 2.5 amp tweeter fuses are blown. I recently played a test cd with pink noise, I don't know if that's what did it. I cranked it up all the way, hoping I could hear at 12kHz. :D I hope it's just the fuses. 

Anyway, just picked up the above LP by Roland Hanna and George Mraz - ROMANESQUE . It's probably very good.

2.5 Amps through your tweeters' voice coils is a lot of current. I would not be surprised to hear that both tweeters are damaged. The fact that both tweeters' fuses blew is a very bad sign.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, it's an excellent LP.  Really, I think all of the Hanna-Mraz duo collaborations are special. 

Bummer about the blown fuses. :( 

We are back in action. 

It IS a very nice, very well-recorded session. And more adventurous than just the “jazzy” versions of the popular classical pieces.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

2.5 Amps through your tweeters' voice coils is a lot of current. I would not be surprised to hear that both tweeters are damaged. The fact that both tweeters' fuses blew is a very bad sign.

Knock on wood, we are running strong again. I was afraid the teeeters would be blown, but all is well. I don’t know what caused it still, the only thing I can think of is that pink noise test cd. I must’ve cranked it up to Too high. 

My beef now is with the availability of such mundane things as 2.5 amp fuses. Since the Radio Shack is gone, there’s no place to buy minor electronic parts other than the automotive stores and the giant home centers. Naturally, they don’t carry the 2.5 amp fuses, so I installed a 2 amp one, just to see if the tweeters were kaput.

I miss the Rat Shack. We used to take it for granted.

6 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

2.5 Amps through your tweeters' voice coils is a lot of current.

Surprised that they weren’t vapourised.. :o

Radio Shack pretty well disappeared over here too. The local equivalent, Maplin, went bust last year. Very expensive but useful source of electronic parts in an emergency. 

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-2000416-1257781300.jpeg.jpg

Theo Loevendie Quartet - Orlando [Waterland]

I see this one a lot and am always tempted... what is it like?

Myself, now playing

R-4808020-1510496914-8999.jpeg.jpg

Santo Pecora - Santo and his New Orleans Rhythm Kings

finally, after more than twenty years of listening to jazz, I have my first serious New Orleans/Dixieland revival phase... forgot what exactly started it but over the past few weeks I've ordered books, read most of Jeffcrom's blog, the usual... luckily, a lot can be found on spotify... but still, when I saw an original Southland album from mid-50s New Orleans featuring Harry Shields on clarinet and Lester Bouchon on saxophone I just had to have it...

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I see this one a lot and am always tempted... what is it like?

It was my first listen but early impressions are very favourable. Robust playing by all four players, especially impressed by the rhythm section. Not as intense as the live album they recorded, as it's more theme-based and less stretching out by all concerned but still gives each player the freedom to explore. Dulfer and Loevendie sound good both separately and together. Well worth a picking up if not expensive (which it wasn't in the UK so guess won't be on home turf)

Thanks! Indeed, when I see it here on its home turf, it usually wouldn't  cost me that much... distribution and vinyl prices for things from the past, in particular the 70s and 80s are sometimes counterintuitive... for instance, as a cd buyer I never would have suspected how well-represented Ira Sullivan is on relatively cheap LPs... or how well-distributed Waterland Records apparently was...