wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,008 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

👍👍!!

Side two cranked up almost took the roof off..:D

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Side two cranked up almost took the roof off..:D

Believe you .... even on April 1st 😎 ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Believe you .... even on April 1st 😎 ....

Ha ! :D   Wasn’t even thinking of that. The combination of plastylite vinyl, B3 organ, the Braithophone and my woofers is not for the faint hearted though !

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

1_e9a2905657ddef51fdb665f53ab44b43.jpg

Great lineup with Cliff Jordan and Art Farmer......., one of my favourite Horace Silver records, together with "Stylings of Silver" and others

Yes, it is a brilliant record. Not only the quality of the improvisations of the two stellar horns but it is clear that Horace did his homework and arranged and rehearsed some very classy charts.

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, it is a brilliant record. Not only the quality of the improvisations of the two stellar horns but it is clear that Horace did his homework and arranged and rehearsed some very classy charts.

Amen ....

Oscar Peterson Collates, volume 2 (Clef ten inch)

Thelonious Monk, The High Priest (Prestige)Collates No. 2 (Vinyl, 10", Album) album coverThe High Priest (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue) album cover

Stu Williamson, Sapphire (Bethlehem ten inch)Image result for stu williamson sapphire

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That's really the only Horace record I've totally clicked with, oddly.

One of those outfits, like the LJCO, that I'll probably never encounter in real life. 

Sadly I'm not sure any of us will witness LJCO live again what with Barry Guy an expat. The last mooted gig fell through because of lack of funding. But we can live in hope...as for Globe Unity...

aha, I did not know about that last concert falling apart. Bummer.

R-7700931-1469722863-5736.jpeg.jpg

‘Rare Groove’ LP

Edited by sidewinder

R-1580472-1250541976.jpeg.jpg

Emil Richards And The Microtonal Blues Band - Spirit Of 1976/Live At Donte's [Impulse]

R-394687-1187430666.jpeg.jpg

Herbie Mann - The Wailing Dervishes [Atlantic, mono]

R-9123275-1475172904-4185.jpeg.jpg

Rod Levitt Orchestra - Forty-Second Street [RCA Victor]

I don't think the Levitt "42nd Street" has ever been issued on CD.  And the other two albums he did for them has been handled in a piece-meal fashion by RCA, though some of it came out on a Spanish bootleg if I recall.  The Riverside Levitt was handled properly...

I've always thought they were terrific releases:  good writing, good playing.

R-424122-1276766350.png.jpg

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Face To Face [Emanem]

R-12699399-1540291817-8124.jpeg.jpg

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Birds Of A Feather [BYG]

R-1881457-1249834635.jpeg.jpg

John Stevens - Spontaneous Music Ensemble [Polydor]

R-1067107-1234001727.jpeg.jpg

Pharoah Sanders - Africa [Timeless]

I feel like I've seen the vinyl version of Sanders' Africa far less than the preceding three records in your post.

Not sure why I went to it after an SME afternoon. Had to dig out from the depths of a cupboard. Good listen, took me back to when I bought it on release

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1067107-1234001727.jpeg.jpg

Pharoah Sanders - Africa [Timeless]

Underrated Pharoah Sanders outing with superb John Hicks on piano ....

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

more Pharoah

R-1042465-1314976777.jpeg.jpg

oh this one is great. I bought it once, the next day after I had seen Pharoah live.

spinning a cd but its on lp too but oh godddddd its a made by interpress w germany just like i like to collect pressing of concord picante's "good vibes" live lp ohwowowowowowwwwwwwwwww

R-3068431-1314213378.jpeg.jpg

GARY FOSTER & PONCHO

One of my alltime favourites as soon as it came out in the late 70´s on CBS. That was the time, when I discoverd "Bird" due to my first few albums of Miles and Mingus, where Bird as influence and mentor was mentioned. After my first purchase (Savoy Master Takes) this one was my second purchase but at first listening I was kind of shocked and puzzeld by the "terrible sound quality". On this , the treble was so up it had an outright piercing sound. I had to pull up the bass level and completly down the treble and still it sounded "shrill". But after a few starts I noticed the high quality of that exiting live music. It was the first time I heard about Fats and Bud and fell in love with Blakey´s powerful drumming.

I can´t listen to this every day, but sometimes I pick it just for the memory of those days when I was thrilled by all that powerful music though badly recorded, and I remember I loved Dan Morgensterns most interesting liner notes so that I could "imagine" how Birdland was in 1950.....

Unbenannt.png

Steve Reid———-Nova ———-(Mustevic /Soul Jazz Records)

1976 date reissued in 2019. Roughly hewn loft era jazz. Quite impressed by this obscurity