wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,008 posts in this topic

R-6995975-1513548098-2895.jpeg.jpg

UK Riverside DG mono in a US Riverside sleeve

Edited by sidewinder

R-824220-1162556669.jpeg.jpg

Globe Unity Orchestra & the Choir of the NDR Broadcast - Hamburg '74 [FMP]

Easter egg to self, arrived today...I'd prevaricated over this for a long while. I shouldn't have, it's excellent.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-824220-1162556669.jpeg.jpg

Globe Unity Orchestra & the Choir of the NDR Broadcast - Hamburg '74 [FMP]

Easter egg to self, arrived today...I'd prevaricated over this for a long while. I shouldn't have, it's excellent.

? procrastinated

15 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

? procrastinated

Now I could say something evasive but no, thanks for the correction.

Back to school for me...brain addled by too much Free Jazz, perhaps?

Meanwhile...

R-1120479-1353167052-8154.jpeg.jpg

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Kabalaba [AEOC Records]

Edited by mjazzg

R-13495528-1555273471-9191.jpeg.jpg

Return to Analog reissue. Very much a Guy Warren LP with the Rendell/Carr group and Amancio D’Silva along for the ride. Nice sonics - I’ll be surprised if the original Columbia sounded any better. A big :tup.

The only negative is that they didn’t duplicate the original Columbia rear sleeve as in the Jazzman releases. Minor complaint though, considering the price and quality of pressing.

Incidentally, nothing like Rendell/Carr. More like Brotherhood of Breath. Don Rendell quite ‘off piste’. 

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-6995975-1513548098-2895.jpeg.jpg

UK Riverside DG mono in a US Riverside sleeve

👍👍👍 and many more !!!

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

JALP713-jacket-small-border.jpg

Jazzaggression Records

How is that?

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How is that?

Very nice. It was their planned second LP after the first one’s 99 copies and only got as far as the Test Pressing stage before Tony Pike Music went bust. Well up to the standard of the first LP, not dis-similar to what Rendell/Carr were doing at the time although a bit more straight-ahead and ‘Horace Silverish’.  :tup

This first commercial issue is taken from a pristine test pressing and sounds AOK.

Edited by sidewinder

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Very nice. It was their planned second LP after the first one’s 99 copies and only got as far as the Test Pressing stage before Tony Pike Music went bust. Well up to the standard of the first LP, not dis-similar to what Rendell/Carr were doing at the time.  :tup

This first commercial issue is taken from a pristine test pressing and sounds AOK.

Thanks, duly noted and entered on the ever expanding list

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Blame Honest Jon’s ! :D

Don't worry, I am

R-10086477-1491360420-9592.jpeg.jpg

Who is this "The Austrian String Quartet" anyway? They have a timbre that is as evocative as their pitch is, uh...equally evocative? Was this a real band? I only see them on Vox/Turnabout, and even then on just a very few records, none of which talk about the band at all. Like, ZERO.

Either way, I like this record a lot, comparing this to the Emerson version is quite the immediate contrast. I'd just like to know if the pitch is interpretive or simply casual. Either way, it's attention-getting!

Janacek String Quartet standouts:

Janacek Quartet (Supraphon)    1963

Smetana Quartet (Denon)    1976

On ‎12‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:34 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Wow.

I never had the chance to see Mr. Henderson perform in person, but love hearing him on record.

I saw him live at least in 1978 and 1979. The 1978 was a whole concert (with JoAnne Brackeen on piano !), the second was a festival schedule. I missed a third date that would have been with Tete Montoliu, but I had flu and couldn´t go and see them.

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

JALP713-jacket-small-border.jpg

Jazzaggression Records

I remember seeing these guys live at the Green Man, Blackheath (south London).  The good old days.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I remember seeing these guys live at the Green Man, Blackheath (south London).  The good old days.

Now a block of flats at the top end of Blackheath, apparently !

Like the first Bird/Curtis LP, this one is definitely a ‘find’ from my perspective. I wonder if Ray Shea has any more test pressings in his attic? (highly unlikely).

Incidentally, it would appear that the New Jazz Orchestra was a spin-off from the house band at this venue (when it had John Mumford in the front line with Ian Bird).

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Who is this "The Austrian String Quartet" anyway? They have a timbre that is as evocative as their pitch is, uh...equally evocative? Was this a real band? I only see them on Vox/Turnabout, and even then on just a very few records, none of which talk about the band at all. Like, ZERO.

I believe they were part of the "Wiener Solisten", a loose ensemble founded in the early 60's

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Either way, I like this record a lot, comparing this to the Emerson version is quite the immediate contrast. I'd just like to know if the pitch is interpretive or simply casual. Either way, it's attention-getting!

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

I believe they were part of the "Wiener Solisten", a loose ensemble founded in the early 60's

Yes, they were.

I remember reading about this very recording on another (German?) music forum, where a member also wondered about the identity of the performers. The Austrian SQ (or rather Österreichische Streichquartett) was founded by Paul Roczek, who became professor of violin at the Salzburger Mozarteum. The other (original) members were Peter Katt (violin), Jürgen Geise (viola), and Wilfred Tachezi (cello), all of them also associated with the Mozarteum.

Even in an extremely competitive field, their performance of the Janacek quartets is very worthwhile.

Ok, this is all good to learn. Now I know that the "quirks" I hear are part of the intent. It makes a difference knowing that, because, yes, very striking performances, a worthy addition to anybody's Janacek exploration.

Thanks to everybody for sharing their knowledge!

On 4/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, sidewinder said:

BK%2B1%2BFront.jpg

UK Columbia, Factory Sample

To be reissued by Trunk at Record Store Day tomorrow, with different sleeve apparently.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, clifford_thornton said:

cool, I suppose that means you'll be offloading the original. I'll get right in line. :D

Clifford, if you cannot convince sidewinder to part with his original: Discogs has another "factory sample" copy for sale.

At 4,400 euro and with the dollar still rising, it's a steal.:g

On 4/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, mjazzg said:

R-13135053-1548674670-1007.jpeg.jpg

Derek Bailey/Tony Coe - Time [Honest Jons]

excellent reissue adding a new session. Great improvisations, lean and lovely music-making

Honest Jon's really deserves the highest praise for their Derek Bailey reissues. Incredible value for money.

R-13489395-1555173709-4156.jpeg.jpg

Marshall Allen ao - Ceremonial Healing [RareNoise]

initial impressions suggest this is another winner from this label

2 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Honest Jon's really deserves the highest praise for their Derek Bailey reissues. Incredible value for money.

I agree, a very impressive reissue. On the back of this I'll definitely be investigating some others, starting with the Cyro Baptista I think

3 hours ago, corto maltese said:

Clifford, if you cannot convince sidewinder to part with his original: Discogs has another "factory sample" copy for sale.

At 4,400 euro and with the dollar still rising, it's a steal.:g

Yeah, I made an offer to someone with a deadstock unplayed copy for pretty much NYC rent money and was turned down. Probably for the best, but man...

13 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I made an offer to someone with a deadstock unplayed copy for pretty much NYC rent money and was turned down. Probably for the best, but man...

Save your money and hook a PC to your stereo :) :