wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,024 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I agree, a very impressive reissue. On the back of this I'll definitely be investigating some others, starting with the Cyro Baptista I think

You need all nine of them, even if you already own the original Incus issues. 

1 minute ago, corto maltese said:

You need all nine of them, even if you already own the original Incus issues. 

I don't have any originals. HJ take most of my salary as it is!

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I made an offer to someone with a deadstock unplayed copy for pretty much NYC rent money and was turned down. Probably for the best, but man...

I happen to have a spare copy (very decent VG+), but am not looking for money. I greatly prefer trades.

@ sidewinder: how does the Trunk reissue compare to the original? And do they explain why they didn't use the original cover?

At 4,400 euro and with the dollar still rising, it's a steal.:g

I’ll take 3 then..:unsure:

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

@ sidewinder: how does the Trunk reissue compare to the original? And do they explain why they didn't use the original cover?

I’ve just given them a spin-through on side 1. The Trunk compares pretty well but I would say that the Columbia is most definitely more focussed, dynamic and with a better sound-stage (or maybe it is me :g). More ‘presence’. I guess that it is possible that this could be the effects of magnetic tape dispersion over 50 years? In any event, Trunk have done a great job.

I believe that the reason that the original cover wasn’t used for the reissue is that Basil didn’t like it. Personally I prefer the original but I also really like the Trunk gatefold. I hope they put that Basil K. voice publicity tape on line.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

HJ take most of my salary as it is!

That place is like a black hole for stray dosh..

Incidentally, it is interesting that Basil K. felt that the first version of ‘Worlds’ didn’t fully represent his vision and that Trunk’s later ‘Quantum’ was nearer the mark. Personally, I think of ‘Worlds’ 1/2 as being pretty ground-breaking.

Edited by sidewinder

R-13302023-1551694832-7704.jpeg.jpg

Edmond Hall in quartet with an Argentinian rhythm section... not a major investment but really nice...

2 hours ago, Niko said:

R-13302023-1551694832-7704.jpeg.jpg

Edmond Hall in quartet with an Argentinian rhythm section... not a major investment but really nice...

It would have to be really nice:  it's Ed Hall!  Only four tracks, so that's an 45 rpm EP, I'd guess?

Yes! hadn't visited the jazz 45s corner of our local store in quite a while and brought back 11 new 45s... so far, the Edmond Hall one is the best... 

I also got one lp which is pretty wonderful, also featuring Hall on one side, Jam Session Coast to Coast...

R-5516823-1399380105-5795.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Niko

Awesome! I have a handful of Condon LPs (including this one on Columbia). The Columbia original LPs sound fantastic!

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Incidentally, it is interesting that Basil K. felt that the first version of ‘Worlds’ didn’t fully represent his vision and that Trunk’s later ‘Quantum’ was nearer the mark. Personally, I think of ‘Worlds’ 1/2 as being pretty ground-breaking.

Quantum is awesome, though. I have rips of both Worlds and they are indeed excellent. Had the Island on LP at one point but it was not in the greatest condition...

@jazzboIndeed! And I am also really fond of the Rampart Street Paraders on the album's B side...

Edited by Niko

Yup. Those bands are fun listening for me.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Quantum is awesome, though. I have rips of both Worlds and they are indeed excellent. Had the Island on LP at one point but it was not in the greatest condition...

I have ‘Quantum’ on CD and will give it a spin. I think I have a copy of the LP as well but not sure. ‘Worlds 3/4’, the one put out on Island Records, has been reissued on vinyl by Superior Viaduct I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

R-1619437-1232567447.jpeg.jpg

Gil Evans - Gil Evans [Ampex]

prompted by the Billy Harper thread

Funny, I was listening to it at the gym this morning for the same reason. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

donald_lou~_heretisja_101b.jpg

NY USA mono

Priceless cover photography ....

MI0002386722.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Kenny Burrell with Frank Wess - Monday Stroll (Savoy/Arista)

R-6055668-1409926404-6821.jpeg.jpg

Harold Vick - Commitment [Muse]

all the way from King Of Prussia, thanks John!

R-1639137-1233909858.jpeg.jpg

Charles Tolliver Music Inc - Compassion [Strata East]

This is just fabulous, first time I've heard Tolliver with guitar instead of piano.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-6055668-1409926404-6821.jpeg.jpg

Harold Vick - Commitment [Muse]

all the way from King Of Prussia, thanks John!

This excellent Vick. 

NP 

Derek Bailey——- Cyro——-( Honest Jon)

pretty stunning record and a very nice reissue. Time and Aida also arrived today and await full audition....

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

This excellent Vick. 

NP 

Derek Bailey——- Cyro——-( Honest Jon)

pretty stunning record and a very nice reissue. Time and Aida also arrived today and await full audition....

I bought 'Time' on a whim and it took me aback. Coe is amazing and Bailey's not as 'spikey' as I usually hear him.

'Cyro' will be in my next HJ order

meanwhile

R-1250469-1345291626-5546.jpeg.jpg

Michael White - Pneuma [Impulse/ABC]

the third of the batch that arrived today

Edited by mjazzg

R-2628350-1293991867.jpeg.jpg

The New Don Ellis Band featuring Patti Allen - Goes Underground [CBS]

works for me

Horace Tapscott 

A Tapscott binge for the holiday weekend. Currently playing Live at I.U.C.C. The Call and Flight 17 ( Outernational) lined up for playing later today.

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Horace Tapscott 

A Tapscott binge for the holiday weekend. Currently playing Live at I.U.C.C. The Call and Flight 17 ( Outernational) lined up for playing later today.

Three great albums there