wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

43,481 posts in this topic

513JFNZZMDL._SY355_.jpg

On the whole, seems like much ado about not too much.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

513JFNZZMDL._SY355_.jpg

On the whole, seems like much ado about not too much.

I always preferred Earl Spencer for this stuff. I have the IAJRC lp this was copied from.

51Udsbp1F3L.jpg

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo

R-1263289-1204703566.jpeg.jpg

Love this music so much that I plopped for the Pure Pleasure 180 gram LP reissue that came out a few months ago. Not cheap. But it does sound stinkin' tremendous. (No comparison with my old blogosphere-sourced .mp3 files.)

R-4854944-1377584301-9938.jpeg.jpg

Frank Foster & Frank Wess - 2 Franks Please (Savoy/Arista)

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-1263289-1204703566.jpeg.jpg

Love this music so much that I plopped for the Pure Pleasure 180 gram LP reissue that came out a few months ago. Not cheap. But it does sound stinkin' tremendous. (No comparison with my old blogosphere-sourced .mp3 files.)

Outstanding platter ....

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I always preferred Earl Spencer for this stuff. I have the IAJRC lp this was copied from.

51Udsbp1F3L.jpg

Supposedly there's gonna be Earle Spencer material on Mosaic upcoming Black & White set?

Posted (edited)

61yLtdbjtgL._SY355_.jpg

a.jpgStunning German Mikulski pressing for the Jackson.

Edited by sidewinder

Posted (edited)

R-4337978-1362162358-3543.jpeg.jpg

UK Sonet. Fascinating to hear these legends re-convening and tackling classics from their youth. Diz in particular is on good form.

Edited by sidewinder

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Supposedly there's gonna be Earle Spencer material on Mosaic upcoming Black & White set?

The entire lp is from Black & White.  There was a time in the earliest days of compact discs when Pickwick was putting out interesting compilations of B & W titles.

Only disc 1 is from B&W.

th?id=OIP.PNkotJrwkfibLgNcrT1DBwAAAA&w=1Back to Back: Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Play the Blues

Herbie Mann Plays (Bethlehem), and Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Play the Blues Back to Back (Verve)

R-3873902-1403962868-6280.jpeg.jpg

2-eye mono, demo copy

R-3397433-1552082442-1975.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Swings High [Cadillac]

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-3397433-1552082442-1975.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Swings High [Cadillac]

Sounds like it was recorded in Dobell’s toilets but essential stuff ! For some reason, the Melodisc LP was held back for several years, although recorded in 1967 I believe.

In that ‘Jazz 625’ tribute programme on BBC the other week Gilles Peterson was handling a copy of this very LP, although he didn’t get chance to say anything about it !

Edited by sidewinder

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds like it was recorded in Dobell’s toilets but essential stuff ! For some reason, the Melodisc LP was held back for several years, although recorded in 1967 I believe.

In that ‘Jazz 625’ tribute programme on BBC the other week Gilles Peterson was handling a copy of this very LP, although he didn’t get chance to say anything about it !

Yes, I was going to note something about the power of the music overcoming the 'limited' sound quality...

I blame GP for the purchase of this, wine in hand watching Jazz 625 thinking "why haven't I got that Harriott LP?". The joy of internet shopping, with wine :excited:

Posted (edited)

I’d love to know exactly where that Harriott Melodisc LP was recorded. Reportedly it was set up by and sold at Dobell’s but according to the Harriott bio, I think, they used a dive of a recording studio in the old East End. I have an image of them recording at some seedy basement with the Krays calling in for the rent..:unsure:

Very fine playing by Stu Hamer - younger brother of Ian, both excellent trumpeters.

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’d love to know exactly where that Harriott Melodisc LP was recorded. Reportedly it was set up by and sold at Dobell’s but according to the Harriott bio, I think, they used a dive of a recording studio in the old East End. I have an image of them recording at some seedy basement with the Krays calling in for the rent..:unsure:

Very fine playing by Stu Hamer - younger brother of Ian, both excellent trumpeters.

Yeah, Hamer really stood out on the first listen, more so than Harriott himself.

"Reg, give the bloke his trumpet back in one piece, will ya"

bellso_loui_primetime_101b.jpg

Louie Bellson - Prime Time (Concord, 1978)

Posted (edited)

R-533045-1486158321-9622.jpeg.jpg

Jazz Composer's Orchestra Plays Numatik Swing Band, Composed & Conducted by Roswell Rudd (JCOA)

Edited by HutchFan

81GcyeMvEJL._SY495_.jpg

Clark Terry - Swahili (Trip Jazz/EmArcy)

R-1107061-1250347571.jpeg.jpg

Doug Carn - Infant Eyes (Black Jazz)

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81GcyeMvEJL._SY495_.jpg

Clark Terry - Swahili (Trip Jazz/EmArcy)

i need this my guy! wow!

holy shit dawg this is like the missing hard bop album ive been dreaming of