wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

43,482 posts in this topic

Here another of my early treasures. 

You will find most of the material on the Milestone CD "Fats Navarro" but not all: The vocals, listed on that Musidisc done by an "unknown" actually are by Kenny Hagood, anyway he is one of the most easy recognizable vocalists. 

"Pennies from Heaven" is done in a slow manner, and "The Kitchenette Across the Hall" is a rare Dameron song with the lyrics also by Dameron.

All Play great here. Fats is in top form and Plays some of the best bop trumpet I ever heard, Allen Eager is beautifully relaxed, and you can hear some short piano solos by Dameron. 

On the last track "Wahoo" there´s no Fats, it´s Kai Winding and Allen Eager…..

We called this "the blue Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro Album"...…..

Unbenannt3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Don’t have the Esquire of that one but I do have the later Stateside Vols 1 and 2 with the Ray Avery photos on the cover.

Confession - I don't have it either, but I used to borrow it from a record library around 1960 and I love the cover design and illustration - not forgetting the sublime music, of course. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus I got it wrong about the Stateside LPs - they have white cover with art pattern. No Avery photos - which are on the Prestige LPs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

073867.jpg

Mostly piano solos and a few trio sessions (China Boy !) from 1933-1941.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2472021-1318190953.jpeg.jpg

Steppin' with the World Saxophone Quartet (Black Saint)

 

 

9 hours ago, aparxa said:

073867.jpg

Mostly piano solos and a few trio sessions (China Boy !) from 1933-1941.

Good stuff! :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must have been something like "the Musidisc Man" since I purchase so many of them. While the former postet Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro was live material from the Royal Roost, this one is studio material from Savoy records. Mostly it has the 1946 stuff featuring also Sonny Stitt and Kenny Dorham (Boppin a Riff Part 1 and 2, Everything´s Cool Part 1 and 2 etc ). 

 

R-3466248-1331480472.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I must have been something like "the Musidisc Man" since I purchase so many of them. While the former postet Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro was live material from the Royal Roost, this one is studio material from Savoy records. Mostly it has the 1946 stuff featuring also Sonny Stitt and Kenny Dorham (Boppin a Riff Part 1 and 2, Everything´s Cool Part 1 and 2 etc ). 

 

R-3466248-1331480472.jpeg.jpg

I have a copy of that one somewhere. At the time it was about the only vinyl I could afford !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41vtZAptBEL.jpg

Rufus Reid Trio - Perpetual Stroll (Theresa)
with Kirk Lightsey & Eddie Gladden

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

41vtZAptBEL.jpg

Rufus Reid Trio - Perpetual Stroll (Theresa)
with Kirk Lightsey & Eddie Gladden

Unsung little gem ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Unsung little gem ....

:tup

 

R-3360227-1336891183-2523.jpeg.jpg

 

and

The_Golden_Number.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2727572-1337168778-3063.jpeg.jpg

Mike Richmond - Dream Waves (Inner City / Sonet)
with Andy LaVerne & Billy Hart

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/7/2019 at 0:16 PM, porcy62 said:

At last I'm spinning Rendell/Carr' records, now:

JMANLP111X.jpg

A great one!

 Johnny Clegg & Savuka ‎- Shadow Man

Copy%20of%20JOHNNY_C.gif

I have fond memories of seing this band in the late 80s and the late 90s.

 Quincy Jones ‎– Go West, Man!

Fine Music, but weird to see the producer honored as the leader.

Ben Webster, Georges Arvanitas ‎- Autumn Leaves (Futura)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aparxa said:

Ben Webster, Georges Arvanitas ‎- Autumn Leaves (Futura)

Excellent ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I´ll never Forget how I purchased this: It was the day after I first had seen live the Max Roach Quartet and the next day I hurried to my record dealer (Radio Kratz, Mariahilferstrasse) and asked if they have some Max Roach and Mr. Kratz gave me this one.

Though it´s done some 15 years earlier then my first live concert of Max Roach, I was quite astonished to hear very similar Things in his drumming, mostly on his Extended drum solo on "Speak Brother Speak" which is a Variation of "the drum also waltzes". 

Great tune also "Variation" . 

And since I was a really Mingus man, I had all the Mingus stuff on that "America" label, I was pleased to see that Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron also were Mingus Alumni. Not to Mention Max Roach who had recorded with Mingus not only on Massey Hall, but also on the Bohemia stuff "Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach"...….

imagesTXXDKALF.jpg

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

 

The_Golden_Number.jpg

Classic ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I´ll never Forget how I purchased this: It was the day after I first had seen live the Max Roach Quartet and the next day I hurried to my record dealer (Radio Kratz, Mariahilferstrasse) and asked if they have some Max Roach and Mr. Kratz gave me this one.

Though it´s done some 15 years earlier then my first live concert of Max Roach, I was quite astonished to hear very similar Things in his drumming, mostly on his Extended drum solo on "Speak Brother Speak" which is a Variation of "the drum also waltzes". 

Great tune also "Variation" . 

And since I was a really Mingus man, I had all the Mingus stuff on that "America" label, I was pleased to see that Cliff Jordan and Mal Waldron also were Mingus Alumni. Not to Mention Max Roach who had recorded with Mingus not only on Massey Hall, but also on the Bohemia stuff "Mingus Quintet plus Max Roach"...….

imagesTXXDKALF.jpg

Unbenannt.png

Those were the days 😎 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think this one was my first LP of the Messengers. It was the RCA "Black and White" Series.

Really nice with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin, and the way how they played stuff like "I could have danced all that night" , otherwise rarely played by jazzmusicians…...

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Joe Farrell once in 1983 in a quartet with Joanne Brackeen on piano. Great evening. Even if Chet Baker was scheduled to Play with Joe Farrell but as on so many occasions was not able to make the gig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

 R-1263978-1242510451.jpeg.jpg

Prototypical late 70's cover art when seemingly everything was about Disco ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think this one was my first LP of the Messengers. It was the RCA "Black and White" Series.

Really nice with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin, and the way how they played stuff like "I could have danced all that night" , otherwise rarely played by jazzmusicians…...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think this one was my first LP of the Messengers. It was the RCA "Black and White" Series.

Really nice with Bill Hardman and Johnny Griffin, and the way how they played stuff like "I could have danced all that night" , otherwise rarely played by jazzmusicians…...

Unbenannt.png

Very fond of this version of the Messengers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The_Golden_Number.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 1:24 AM, soulpope said:

Classic ....

Yeah but why is Billie Jean King on the cover?

Edited by Dan Gould

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, soulpope said:

Prototypical late 70's cover art when seemingly everything was about Disco ....

You see disco, I see coke, I think we're both seeing the same thing, actually...

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The_Golden_Number.jpg

Yeah but why is Billie Jean King on the cover?

Because Bobby Riggs couldn't hang with Archie Shepp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it is Charlie Haden painted. I remember this Album, it was around in the late 70´s. The only strange Thing in this combination is Hampton Hawes, he doesn´t necessarly fit into that Group of free jazz pioneers. 

But the idea to Play Duos with his former emplyoees was very interesting. 

Wasn´t "Soapsuds" also a Ornette - Haden duo ? I don´t have it.

I don´t know who Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I thought it is Charlie Haden painted. I remember this Album, it was around in the late 70´s. The only strange Thing in this combination is Hampton Hawes, he doesn´t necessarly fit into that Group of free jazz pioneers. 

But the idea to Play Duos with his former emplyoees was very interesting. 

Wasn´t "Soapsuds" also a Ornette - Haden duo ? I don´t have it.

I don´t know who Billy Jean King and Bobby Riggs are.

Tennis players of yesteryear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.