wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

43,715 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Niko said:

R-3110089-1523448761-9424.jpeg.jpg

Ann Burton - Ballads & Burton

glad I finally picked this up after seeing it so often in stores... I am not a big fan of vocal jazz normally but this one really works for me

👍Outstanding👍 ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

👍Outstanding👍 ....

Bought partly due to your constant endorsement... thanks!

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Bought partly due to your constant endorsement... thanks!

Great it worked out this way 👍 ....

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

810Y92MG1PL._SS500_.jpg

Paul Motian Trio - Dance (ECM)
with Charles Brackeen & David Izenzon

Excellent .... as is "Le Voyage" ....

81GQgBL%2Bj6L._SX500_.jpg

Carla Bley - Dinner Music (WATT, 1977)

On 7/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, HutchFan said:

81GQgBL%2Bj6L._SX500_.jpg

Carla Bley - Dinner Music (WATT, 1977)

Ms. Bley has a great sense of humour, in music and visually  She told me once in an interview that when the artwork for the cover of Dinner Music was sent to Japan for issue there, they spent hours removing the wine stains on the napkin.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Ms. Bley has a great sense of humour, in music and visually  She told me once in an interview that when the artwork for the cover of Dinner Music was sent to Japan for issue there, they spent hours removing the wine stains on the napkin.

Ha! Funny story! :) 

Talk about "lost in translation"!

Edited by HutchFan

hayes%20on%20the%20air.jpg

Harkit LP version of this one. BBC transcriptions.

R-1071224-1189936361.jpeg.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie and the Big Band - The New Continent (Limelight)

Such a wonderful record. Love this stuff.

R-1311135-1238875901.jpeg.jpg

Cal Tjader - Puttin' It Together (Fantasy, 1974)

On 28.7.2019 at 10:18 AM, sidewinder said:

c0212161_2142579.jpg

UK CTI

From what period is this ? Olinga is Dizzy´s composition , Right ? In 1981 Dizzy performed it with Milt Jackson as a guest Artist at Montreux. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

From what period is this ? Olinga is Dizzy´s composition , Right ? In 1981 Dizzy performed it with Milt Jackson as a guest Artist at Montreux. 

About 1974 - Yes, the album kicks off with ‘Olinga’ by Dizzy. Cedar Walton is on piano - alas. Fender Rhodes.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

About 1974 - Yes, the album kicks off with ‘Olinga’ by Dizzy. Cedar Walton is on piano - alas. Fender Rhodes.

Well it´s natural I also prefer to hear Cedar Walton on acoustic piano. But on the other hand, the things that annoyed fans of Artists from the acoustic era when they started to use Fender Rhodes and Electric bass instead of acoustic piano and double bass , now are something like history. That was the time then. As much as guys from the swing era like Benny Goodman and Roy Eldrige started to "use" some of the bop Elements in the late 40´s, guys like Dizzy  in the 1970´s used Electric bass and Electric guitar for their touring bands, so if I look at it now, I got a much more philosophical view About it than I had then. Then I said if I want to hear Electric stuff I hear Miles with all those guys Michael Henderson, Reggie Lucas, Pete Cosey, or Herbie Hancock Headhunters and so on, and if I want to hear Diz I want to hear him with an acoustic Group. 

Now I really can enjoy stuff like "Diz at Montreux" 1981 with Bags, doing "Olinga"....., anyway tunes like "Olinga" "Manteca" "Tin Tin Deo" "Brother K." you also can Play Electric and it sounds good. 

Edited by Gheorghe

Tubby Hayes——-Grits , beans & greens/ Lost Fontana ———(Decca)

muscular Tubbs sounding modern. Driving hard bop in beautiful sound. Immaculate presentation. 

20 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Tubby Hayes——-Grits , beans & greens/ Lost Fontana ———(Decca)

muscular Tubbs sounding modern. Driving hard bop in beautiful sound. Immaculate presentation. 

Good to hear - gives confidence in the quality of the forthcoming Gearbox box set.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Good to hear - gives confidence in the quality of the forthcoming Gearbox box set.

Because I’ve been largely “off the reservation” I wasn’t aware of the huge LP set that’s coming in September. This lost session is one of the very best Tubbs I’ve heard.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Because I’ve been largely “off the reservation” I wasn’t aware of the huge LP set that’s coming in September. This lost session is one of the very best Tubbs I’ve heard.

Other than a mention in July’s ‘Jazzwise’ there has not been much mention of it. I’ve ordered and will post opinion once it has landed Chez Moi.

Edited by sidewinder

R-2418846-1283020469.jpeg.jpg

Joe Newman & Billy Byers - New Sounds in Swing (Jazztone)