What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not a lot, no. But I always check the "Religious" section in whatever used store I am in, and carpe diem when something turns up, Not jsut Peacock, but anything that looks good (or is known to be!).

One exception, though - recently found a Sensational Violinaires Checker side, which I would have liked to have been all over. But the price was $14.99. and I was already maxed out for the visit. So, maybe if it's there next month...

It was this one:

R-9664898-1484419800-3402.jpeg.jpg

R-9664898-1484419518-5333.jpeg.jpg

Definitely worth the money ....

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4137503-1427628890-2932.jpeg.jpg

My UK pressing, sounding as good as the day it was bought back in ‘74. In fact way better, thanks to the deck. :)

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks Jim.  Will give those a listen.

Right now, I'm listening to Lucky Thompson.  Specifically the trio sides he made with Oscar Pettiford and Skeeter Best, as heard on this set:

thomps_luck_dancingsu_101b.jpg

Great 2LP set from back in the day (Esmond Edwards era at Impulse I think).

Edited by sidewinder

im listening to it on perfect cd, but before that i had the more commonly found pausa lp.  Ive done a MAJOR fusion purge--- approx 35-40 lps i got rid of- hey theres a LOT of fusion, and you really dont need it all.......down to only the reallll good stuff.... ritenour goes into this earl klugh type thing on this, then funks out electric.  

Image result for by all means alphonse mouzon

6 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Racking my brains on the rest of the lineup - Martin Drew on drums and Spike Heatley on bass I think. It was at Ronnies.

The times I'm speaking of were around 1960 - in Leeds. A lot of London bands visited. Tony Kinsey was a frequent visitor. It's only recently that I found out he'd gone to the States with Ronnie Ball but, unlike Ronnie, failed to make it and returned. He and Ganley were very accomplished drummers. Joe Harriott is another sideman who comes to mind. I remember talking with him both in Leeds and Manchester.

The Ronnie’s performance was about 1980. They were lead in group to one of the US bands.

I actually met Alan Ganley once - sat next to him at a Gerald Wilson concert in London. Nice guy - at the interval he went off back stage to ‘see the guys’ so I figured he must be a muso :D. It was only some time after the gig that I realised who I’d met and of course kicked myself long and hard. A similar thing happened sat next to Jeff Kruger at a Wayne Shorter gig.

Alan, of course, did nicely over in the US during his 1970s stint.

Edited by sidewinder

R-7450913-1441743296-6123.jpeg.jpg

R-7450913-1441743298-5993.jpeg.jpg

Weird cover, but a great record. Plus, I got an OG inner sleeve (just like Eddy and that shirt, Discogs has one like mine!):

R-7450913-1441743296-3500.jpeg.jpg

R-7450913-1441743296-6997.jpeg.jpg

Green on the inside, purple/pink on the label:

R-7450913-1441743298-4023.jpeg.jpg

R-7450913-1441743297-7135.jpeg.jpg

But apart from all that, great record. Hardcore gospel tempos (you'll reach a star, because there are such things), and anybody who plays in any kind of a section should listen to vocal groups - any kind, really - to better understand what can be done with blend, group vibrato, shading, inflection, you know...music.

Hear a Curtis Mayfield influence? Hey, how about that, eh? Two-way street, maybe?

To anybody who's interested (if there is anybody), always check the "Religious" section of whatever used store you are in. You might come up with nothing but Anita Bryant records, but you might find...lots of great music.

Rev-Cleophus-Robinson-Live-From-Europe-N

The genius that David Axelrod had making all those live/"live" Cannonball records was in the realization that the more you could make an audience sound like a congregation, the easier it would be to feel the spirit.

It's a genius that the producer of this record (Shannon Williams) did not share. Not that the Montreux audience gave him much to work with (or if they did, the mikes didn't pick it up), but hey, David Axelrod knew how to work around that, so...no excuses.