Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

A dandy. It was my introduction  to Wellins.

Yep - It has been on my list for many years, just found a copy :). A very different album to the slightly later ‘Under Milk Wood Suite’, upbeat and not so moody (although ‘Culloden Moor’ has some of the latter). Both fine albums in their different ways. Recording quality somewhat muddy though, Jeff Clyne’s bass in particular. On the whole though, this is a fascinating early snapshot of British Jazz on the cusp of change.

Bobby Wellins is missed from our scene, that is for sure. Stan Tracey too.

Edited by sidewinder

gene-mayls-dixieland-rhythm-kings-vinyl-

Included - as pictured - free as a bonus in a completely unrelated Discogs order. Never heard of Gene Mayl or his band but although it ain't "great", it don't exactly suck either. There's a good, spirited trumpeter, drummer, and kinda to my surprise, banjoist on board, and they carry on just nicely,

I guess this is the record jacket:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

CD reissue on Delmark, who knew?!?!?

R-9482033-1481349482-7971.jpeg.jpg

Dixieland, live in Waukesha. Whole 'nother world, at least for me.

My postings in these threads were interrupted by some booking mistake of our phone and internet provider which left us disconnected for two weeks until a week before Christmas. Good thing was it inspired us to re-arrange our living room and move my good hi-fi there which is much more fun listening than in my small sleeping room.

So today:

R-9436725-1543263883-3839.jpeg.jpg

R-2100426-1308780625.jpeg.jpg

R-3117171-1316573607.jpeg.jpg

The latter in memory of Don Alias, who would have turned 80 years on December 25. I miss him.

Edited by mikeweil

91MJsfafGGL._SX522_.jpg

R-13131984-1548612048-6296.jpeg.jpg

Not an OG, some Scorpio-WG/NRP pressing of less than perfect vinility. But good enough.

Note (fwiw) the presence of Emil Richards (RIP). And also Gary Coleman (not the actor), a name familiar if you read credits on a buttload full of LA pop records from back in the day.

This music was once deemed "exotic", "difficult", "eccentric", etc. Here in 2019 (almost 2020), it sounds so...normal. And beautiful!

R-1257432-1362780913-8466.jpeg.jpg

Cecil McBee Sextet with Chico Freeman - Compassion (Enja)

I have the Enja pressing of this LP.  I also have the "sister disc," Music from the Source, on an Inner City LP.  I suppose it's no surprise, but the Enja LP sounds SO MUCH better. Not even close.  (And this comes from a guy with less-than-ideal hearing who prefers to forget about his audio gear and focus on the music.)

... Audio concerns aside, the music is superb -- on both LPs. :) 

Edited by HutchFan

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

R-1257432-1362780913-8466.jpeg.jpg

Cecil McBee Sextet with Chico Freeman - Compassion (Enja)

I have the Enja pressing of this LP.  I also have the "sister disc," Music from the Source, on an Inner City LP.  I suppose it's no surprise, but the Enja LP sounds SO MUCH better. Not even close. 

... Audio concerns aside, the music is superb -- on both LPs. :) 

Excellent music .... still believe that Chico Freeman deserves more appraisal .....

29 minutes ago, soulpope said:

.... still believe that Chico Freeman deserves more appraisal .....

I agree. 

I think Chico's cause is hurt by the fact that much of his best music is long unavailable.  On India Navigation: ChicoKings of Mali, Spirit Sensitive, The Outside Within.  On Blackhawk: The Pied Piper.  All (relatively speaking) hard to find. 

... At least Freeman's Contemporary recordings are still in print.

EDIT:
In response to the Chico Freeman talk, I'm now playing:

R-1796772-1432955748-3648.jpeg.jpg

If I were to choose just one Chico Freeman record, it would be this one.  Chico plays great -- and that rhythm section!

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I agree. 

I think Chico's cause is hurt by the fact that much of his best music is long unavailable.  On India Navigation: ChicoKings of Mali, Spirit Sensitive, The Outside Within.  On Blackhawk: The Pied Piper.  All (relatively speaking) hard to find. 

... At least Freeman's Contemporary recordings are still in print.

EDIT:
In response to the Chico Freeman talk, I'm now playing:

R-1796772-1432955748-3648.jpeg.jpg

If I were to choose just one Chico Freeman record, it would be this one.  Chico plays great -- and that rhythm section!

Great platter .... for sentimental reasons I would go with "Spirit Sensitive" ....