wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,028 posts in this topic

R-4657614-1371304219-1628.jpeg.jpg

The Tubby Hayes Orchestra - Tubbs' Tours [Fontana]

from 'The Fontana Albums' box set. I don't have an original to make a comparison but the sound on this is just fabulous. 

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

R-2605887-1292960694.jpeg.jpg

Like it very much  and have it as most stuff of the Contemporary label which is  my favorite label for the west coast style as is Pacific Jazz

R-1599620-1231305329.jpeg.jpg

Pat Martino ‘Joyous Lake’ (Warners). Really like this - one of today’s nice finds.

R-3406408-1494504078-5696.jpeg.jpg

Another nice find.

On 05/02/2020 at 6:20 PM, mjazzg said:

R-4657614-1371304219-1628.jpeg.jpg

The Tubby Hayes Orchestra - Tubbs' Tours [Fontana]

from 'The Fontana Albums' box set. I don't have an original to make a comparison but the sound on this is just fabulous. 

Believe it or not, I’ve still to crack my vinyl box open and do the comparison. The CDs are too good !

Kimiko_front_cover_with_obi_1024x1024.jp

I’m a fan of this one by Herbie with Kimiko - it also sounds better than the CD version in the Herbie box.

The only one of her LPs I have is with Mal Waldron on Japanese Victor, but I like it quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

The only one of her LPs I have is with Mal Waldron on Japanese Victor, but I like it quite a bit.

Never even heard of that one. On my list !

Impressed with this ‘Butterfly’ reissue. On BeWithRecords - never even heard of them but apparently they are from these islands. 

Edited by sidewinder

R-179413-1291505572.jpeg.jpg

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody

This album always reminds me of West Virginia because its were I lived when I first heard it and of course the mountains on the cover. My young mind thought they we're the only other minorities in West Virginia and I felt a connection that they were singing to my family. Ahhhh to be young and naive.  

6 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

R-179413-1291505572.jpeg.jpg

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody

This album always reminds me of West Virginia because its were I lived when I first heard it and of course the mountains on the cover. My young mind thought they we're the only other minorities in West Virginia and I felt a connection that they were singing to my family. Ahhhh to be young and naive.  

Teddy Pendergrass better than ever here ....

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

37821219zv.jpg

37821198hc.jpg

Do we have a thread on jazz in art?

Your cover is "Jazz Musicians" by Nicholas De Stael:

f58415166b0f0e8a4cfcbe91dcc2a6a9.jpg

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Your cover is "Jazz Musicians" by Nicholas De Stael:

f58415166b0f0e8a4cfcbe91dcc2a6a9.jpg

:tup

3 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

No as far as I know as new member. Have added some David Stone Martin covers ----> cover art.

I do remember that Pacific Jazz once had some domestic artists from the west coast on their LP covers in a short lived series.

Edited by jazzcorner

32 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

:tup

No as far as I know as new member. Have added some David Stone Martin covers ----> cover art.

I do remember that Pacific Jazz once had some domestic artists from the west coast on their LP covers in a short lived series.

As far as the big names in the art world go, the only others, apart from De Stael, I can think of who refer specifically to jazz are Stuart Davis:

RV-AC683_MASTER_G_20110506003742.jpg

and of course Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie

240px-Piet_Mondrian%2C_1942_-_Broadway_B

and the unfinished Victory Boogie Woogie:

piet-mondrian-victory-boogie-woogie.jpg

Edited by BillF

1efaf49dfa914a53d052e25284af3093.400x381

Inspired by this thread, original mono pressing. Can't imagine a better sounding issue.

Edited by porcy62

1 minute ago, porcy62 said:

1efaf49dfa914a53d052e25284af3093.400x381

Isnpired by this thread, original mono pressing. Can't imagine a better sounding issue.

:tup I agree !

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

:tup I agree !

BTW I paid a fair amount of $$$ to one of these big sellers down in LA for this one, never regret. You can't go wrong with a DuNann mono pressing.

1 minute ago, porcy62 said:

BTW I paid a fair amount of $$$ to one of these big sellers down in LA for this one, never regret. You can't go wrong with a DuNann mono pressing.

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box. :D

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box. :D

I agree, I am too old to loose my time looking for the best sounding of every records out there.

Shabaka and the Ancestors, Wisdom of Elders Image result for shabaka and the ancestors wisdom of elders

171841195906.jpg

15 hours ago, Misterioso said:

IMG_0367.jpg

Is it a Brinkmann?

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Is it a Brinkmann?

Yes, a Brinkmann Bardo (with Jelco SA-750EB tonearm, Acoustical Systems arche headshell and Ikeda 9TS MC cartridge). Do you still have your Lagrange?

On 2/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, porcy62 said:

Inspired by this thread, original mono pressing. Can't imagine a better sounding issue.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:56 AM, sidewinder said:

I have an original Contemporary stereo and the Vogue mono. That will do me fine ! No interest in getting hold of the new Masserati Edition or the Craft Slices box.

Haha, easy to look down on reissues (Maseratis) when you have original pressings (Ferraris). I guess everyone would prefer these but they are nearly impossible to find in near mint condition. And if you find one, expect to pay $$$$.

Edited by Misterioso

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

At this time this one

37827161ui.jpg

37827160dc.jpg

Sublime music. :tup