wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,029 posts in this topic

R-4358244-1414260615-1459.jpeg.jpg

The singing sessions, the slow tempo songs are definitely something.

Edited by porcy62

One day without a member spinning a record? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Influenced by the thread About Bird (the Whitney Balliet article from 1976) , here is the second record of Bird I bought. The first was the Savoy double Album in White with that small  canvas picture in the middle.

The second record I found was this. A strange brown cover, and the Music is quite a Collection. An almost complete "Bird and Diz at Carnegie Hall 1947", a lot of sides from the later Dial Recordings Bird made in late 1947 in NY, some also adding J.J. Johnson on trombone to the regular quintet.

And the last three tracks is Maybe the latest live recording Bird ever made: Autumn 1954 , at Carnegie Hall with John Lewis, Percy Heath and Kenny Clark, playing "Cool Blues", "My Funny Valentine" (I never heard another Version of it done by Bird), and "The Song is You". Maybe Bird is not as brilliant on those sides as he was 7 years before, but they have an outright moving quality. 

Unbenannt.png

16 hours ago, porcy62 said:

One day without a member spinning a record? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I could play the Danish Radio Big Band for you if that helps

;-]]

8 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

I could play the Danish Radio Big Band for you if that helps

;-]]

Only if the members of the band are musicians of exemplary integrity :D

R-14691694-1580638839-5274.jpeg.jpg

Rashied Ali/Frank Lowe - Duo Exchange [Survival Records, 2LP]

starting with the additional material...on fire!

19 hours ago, porcy62 said:

I spin records daily, just not always syncing up with my internet message board usage...

6 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Only if the members of the band are musicians of exemplary integrity :D

OK your are the judge. Here are the deliquents37920735os.jpg

37920737an.jpg

37920736rv.jpg

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

OK your are the judge. Here are the deliquents

The department has no file on that Vincent Nillsson, we will investigate, the others are just fine.:D

3 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Thelonious Sphere Monk tonight

IMG_0378.jpg

Classic stuff which I bought on vinyl (of course!) in the 1960s, the only difference being that one of mine looked like this:

R-12311404-1532696209-3377.jpeg.jpg

Those different covers of 50s UK (and French) releases of US jazz records would be worth an entire record cover art book all of its own ...

15 minutes ago, BillF said:

Classic stuff which I bought on vinyl (of course!) in the 1960s, the only difference being that one of mine looked like this:

R-12311404-1532696209-3377.jpeg.jpg

Never saw that cover before. My records are reissues from Analogue Production’s  “Riverside Tenor” 7LP box set. 

25 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Never saw that cover before. My records are reissues from Analogue Production’s  “Riverside Tenor” 7LP box set. 

Excellent edition, like the Davis quintet

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

More delving into this gem.

Very nice!

61EuMorFuDL._SL1083_.jpg

80th Anniversary 2LP set.

Verdict :tup

Edited by sidewinder

114881491-2.jpg

French CBS 3LP production by Henri Renaud

Edited by sidewinder

43 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Don't think so.

A local Super Sleuth found it here, totally buried.

71b7vakET%2BL._SL1200_.jpg

71nIuzGly6L._SL1200_.jpg

per: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.111362

Producer’s Note

The sources for the transfer of the de Banfield were first edition red “Shaded Dog” label American RCA pressings. Although taped a year after RCA began recording complete operas in stereo in Rome, this disc was only ever released in mono. A rarity, it did not remain long in the catalogue, and has never been reissued. There is a momentary pitch fluctuation at 3:09 in Track 2 which is present in the LP master tape. The “Academy Symphony Orchestra of Rome” is most likely a nom de disque for the orchestra of the Accademia di Santa Cecilia.

Since Astrid Varnay is already well represented on compact disc, I have chosen to fill out this release with one of the few recordings made by her Lord Byron co-star, Gertrude Ribla, again heard in twentieth-century opera. The Wozzeck scenes were transferred from the early 10-inch LP (ML-2140) which was its only previous reissue and was itself transferred from Columbia’s wide-frequency range 33 1/3 rpm master lacquer discs.
Mark Obert-Thorn

NP:

R-1403451-1235595402.jpeg.jpg

An under-produced disco record.