• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Don't think so.

A local Super Sleuth found it here, totally buried.

71b7vakET%2BL._SL1200_.jpg

71nIuzGly6L._SL1200_.jpg

per: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.111362

Producer’s Note

The sources for the transfer of the de Banfield were first edition red “Shaded Dog” label American RCA pressings. Although taped a year after RCA began recording complete operas in stereo in Rome, this disc was only ever released in mono. A rarity, it did not remain long in the catalogue, and has never been reissued. There is a momentary pitch fluctuation at 3:09 in Track 2 which is present in the LP master tape. The “Academy Symphony Orchestra of Rome” is most likely a nom de disque for the orchestra of the Accademia di Santa Cecilia.

Since Astrid Varnay is already well represented on compact disc, I have chosen to fill out this release with one of the few recordings made by her Lord Byron co-star, Gertrude Ribla, again heard in twentieth-century opera. The Wozzeck scenes were transferred from the early 10-inch LP (ML-2140) which was its only previous reissue and was itself transferred from Columbia’s wide-frequency range 33 1/3 rpm master lacquer discs.
Mark Obert-Thorn

R-14701646-1581090488-7052.jpeg.jpg

Rashied Ali Quintet - First Time Out, Live At Slugs 1967 [Survival Records]

One of those 'lost' recordings where the recording quality might suggest it should have remained so if it wasn't for the energy of the playing involved. Valuable archeology.  

On 25/02/2020 at 10:45 PM, HutchFan said:

R-2481051-1286392781.jpeg.jpg

Originally released as Jeremy Steig - Energy (Capitol, 1971).

I dig this.  Steig had a strong run in the 70s. 

No doubt, working with Don Alias and Eddie Gomez helps. 

'Wayfaring Stranger' is the one for me

On 27/02/2020 at 5:47 PM, mjazzg said:

R-14701646-1581090488-7052.jpeg.jpg

Rashied Ali Quintet - First Time Out, Live At Slugs 1967 [Survival Records]

One of those 'lost' recordings where the recording quality might suggest it should have remained so if it wasn't for the energy of the playing involved. Valuable archeology.  

'Wayfaring Stranger' is the one for me

I notice HJ’s have got it in stock, along with the ‘Duo Exchange’. Do you recommend them?

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I notice HJ’s have got it in stock, along with the ‘Duo Exchange’. Do you recommend them?

'Duo Exchange', absolutely.

'Live At Slugs' dependent on your threshold for bootleg quality live recordings - I tend to find these can add to the enjoyment and this is a case in point. But if you're bothered by distant pianos (except when soloing - it's almost as if someone's moving the mic closer!), overly prominent drummers and horns fading in and out then don't go near it.  To me it sounds like a live recording ESP rejected on the grounds of SQ :D. The music's terrific in most parts, warts 'n' all. Nicely packaged.

Listening now to the new Charles Lloyd live recording '8', the polar opposite in SQ, gorgeous quality and beautiful music 

On 27/02/2020 at 5:57 PM, HutchFan said:

What do you make of 'Legwork' Hutchfan? I've not heard it and didn't realise it was recorded at the same time until I read your blog, so now I'm tempted.

Edited by mjazzg

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for that !

If you do buy one or both do be prepared for the PayPal shenanigans mentioned in the other thread about them. It may be worth contacting HJ in advance and arranging to PayPal the funds directly rather than through their basket.