wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

44,749 posts in this topic

61J8jjkyHqL._SL500_.jpg

The Art of Hank Crawford: The Atlantic Years 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers ‎– Gypsy Folk Tales

The Great Lars Gullin Vol. 4 1959/60

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Nonesuch dit at least one other Unicorn record, maybe two? Horenstien, both, iirc?

I know that Nonesuch licensed & released Horenstein's recordings of Mahler's First and Third.  There may have been more.  His Mahler Sixth also?

Horenstein's M3 may be his most famous recording, but I think his M1 is even better. :tup 

EDIT: 
Just checked discogs.  Nonesuch also released Horenstein's M6 with the Stockholm PO.  I've never heard that one.

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

61J8jjkyHqL._SL500_.jpg

The Art of Hank Crawford: The Atlantic Years 

 

 

 

Don’t have that particular one but that was a great series. My favourites - Mingus, Hubbard and Kirk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

066.jpg

"The Dixie Sound of Jack Teagarden" Roulette stereo LP. I like this so much that I'd like to have a mono copy. My stereo is a little noisy but once the music kicks in who cares!

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Don’t have that particular one but that was a great series. My favourites - Mingus, Hubbard and Kirk.

Yes!  :tup  I'm also partial to the Milt Jackson volume.

 

 

Earlier:

R-7068680-1432983560-7424.jpeg.jpg

Buddy DeFranco - Free Sail (Choice, 1974)
I enjoyed this LP so much I played it twice.

 

NP:

R-5472307-1580255908-5576.jpeg.jpg

Bucky Pizzarelli - Nightwings (Flying Dutchman, 1975)
Joe Venuti sits in on half the cuts

 

R.I.P. Bucky Pizzarelli

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-3579995-1476825930-9877.png.jpg

"The Thelonious Monk Memorial Album" 2 LP set Milestone Records, LP 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1986257-1256843737.jpeg.jpg

Bucky Pizzarelli with Bud Freeman - Buck & Bud (Flying Dutchman, 1976)
Wonderful.

 

R.I.P.  Bucky Pizzarelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "friend" in the title is Bucky Pizzarelli.

R-6807703-1427045725-8594.jpeg.jpg

Lovely duets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9222338-1476930756-9185.png.jpg

P. Original - Regeneration

bought locally via discogs and picked up from their storefront via trunk delivery. Still trying to support my local shops when I can. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Newman and James Clay, The Sound of the Wide Open Spaces (Riverside)Image result for david Newman james clay wide open spacesImage result for Definitive jazz scene voluume 2

The Definitive Jazz Scene, volume 2 (Impulse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-7806517-1449172298-3350.jpeg.jpg

Man, this is interesting music that I feel I could never get inside of, no matter how hard I tried. I think I'd want to, too, But unless my brain rewires at some point, it's always going to be the "look at" type love, not the "get in" type.

Still, love of any sort is as welcome as it is necessary,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41b0mC7kXhL._SX425_.jpg

Suff Daddy - Birdsongs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

David Newman and James Clay, The Sound of the Wide Open Spaces (Riverside)Image result for david Newman james clay wide open spacesImage result for Definitive jazz scene voluume 2

The Definitive Jazz Scene, volume 2 (Impulse)

The Sound of Wide Open Spaces is a nice album, but do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

... do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

Can you be more specific as to whom you're asking about? Dallas is no longer an isolated pocket of native tongues...not that it ever was...Houston had a say in the languages as well, as did...ah. never mind?

I guess what you really want to find out is if Dallas' African-American tenor players still have that "accent" in their playing, and the answer is, well, a few do, a few more try to, and just as many think they might, and some just don't care about that, they're hustling for the same gigs everybody else is.

It's a different world everywhere these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Can you be more specific as to whom you're asking about? Dallas is no longer an isolated pocket of native tongues...not that it ever was...Houston had a say in the languages as well, as did...ah. never mind?

I guess what you really want to find out is if Dallas' African-American tenor players still have that "accent" in their playing, and the answer is, well, a few do, a few more try to, and just as many think they might, and some just don't care about that, they're hustling for the same gigs everybody else is.

It's a different world everywhere these days.

Thanks, kinda what I suspected but good to  hear from someone on the scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I haven't really been "on the scene" here for  years now, but I hear things, and...let's just say..

True everywhere, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

The Sound of Wide Open Spaces is a nice album, but do locals in Dallas still play in that distinctive Texas Tenor style or have they become just like everyone else?

Well, there isn't exactly a booming jazz scene here. But I would say that the two best tenor saxophonists in the area that I'm familiar with are Rachella Parks Washington (in Fort Worth) and Shelley Carrol (in Dallas), and both sound like Texas tenors to me (especially Rachella).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gene Krupa, Sing Sing Sing (Clef)Image result for gene krupa sing sing sing clef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.