wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,647 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, slide_advantage_redoux said:

R-2825585-1417287335-9350.jpeg.jpg

Wish I still had that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Wish I still had that.

I would love to have more Improvising Artists LPs in my collection.

edited: I didn't realize till now that this LP was recorded in Seattle

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slide_advantage_redoux said:

I would love to have more Improvising Artists LPs in my collection.

edited: I didn't realize till now that this LP was recorded in Seattle

I used to have all of them. Now sadly........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the three from the label I have. Along with Bley's Axis also solo

Easily one of my favorite Bley dates, and the first one I bought years ago.

pba.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now spinning on my 'table:

R-4016233-1426548990-6585.jpeg.jpg

The Pee Wee Russell Quartet - New Groove (Columbia, 1963)
Another LP from a recent dollar bin haul.  It was covered in dust when I found it, but -- after a couple spins on the record vac -- it sounds great.  The audio fidelity of the mono LP really is astonishing -- especially since I'd only heard the music previously via YouTube.  (There aren't any production credits on the cover.  Fred Plaut, I wonder?) ... Music-wise, it's not typical Pee Wee.  The quartet is more reminiscent of a Mulligan piano-less group -- or Jimmy Giuffre with Bob Brookmeyer -- than anything you'd normally associate with Pee Wee.  But it's always fun to hear Russell's clarinet -- in any setting.  ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning on my 'table:

R-4016233-1426548990-6585.jpeg.jpg

The Pee Wee Russell Quartet - New Groove (Columbia, 1963)
Another LP from a recent dollar bin haul.  It was covered in dust when I found it, but -- after a couple spins on the record vac -- it sounds great.  The audio fidelity of the mono LP really is astonishing -- especially since I'd only heard the music previously via YouTube.  (There aren't any production credits on the cover.  Fred Plaut, I wonder?) ... Music-wise, it's not typical Pee Wee.  The quartet is more reminiscent of a Mulligan piano-less group -- or Jimmy Giuffre with Bob Brookmeyer -- than anything you'd normally associate with Pee Wee.  But it's always fun to hear Russell's clarinet -- in any setting.  ;) 

 

I’ve got an old mono pressing of that one and I agree, it sounds great.

This one from a past RSD. Good stuff.

71kJfrnhyFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-8405771-1562155670-4400.jpeg.jpg

Parlophone mono. Lineup with Tubby Hayes and Ronnie Ross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1105743-1327593597.jpeg.jpg

Lambert, Hendricks & Ross - Sing a Song of Basie (MCA Impulse!; originally ABC Paramount)

 

and

R-9916260-1488492538-1943.jpeg.jpg

Sidney Bechet and Mezz Mezzrow (Classic Jazz)
Along with Bechet and Mezz, you get some low-down, dirty blues playing by piano man Sammy Price!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning on my 'table:

R-4016233-1426548990-6585.jpeg.jpg

The Pee Wee Russell Quartet - New Groove (Columbia, 1963)
Another LP from a recent dollar bin haul.  It was covered in dust when I found it, but -- after a couple spins on the record vac -- it sounds great.  The audio fidelity of the mono LP really is astonishing -- especially since I'd only heard the music previously via YouTube.  (There aren't any production credits on the cover.  Fred Plaut, I wonder?) ... Music-wise, it's not typical Pee Wee.  The quartet is more reminiscent of a Mulligan piano-less group -- or Jimmy Giuffre with Bob Brookmeyer -- than anything you'd normally associate with Pee Wee.  But it's always fun to hear Russell's clarinet -- in any setting.  ;) 

 

Lords listed the following + some more tracks as seen on your cover. The reissue has a different title obviously

'Round midnight
[R7128-15] Pee Wee Russell
New Groove: Pee Wee Russell Quartet:
Marshall Brown (v-tb,b-tp) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Russell George (b) Ron Lundberg (d)
New York, November 12, 1962
CO76992    Taps Miller    (unissued)
CO76993    'Round midnight         -
CO76994    My mother's eyes         -
CO76995    Pee Wee's blues    Col CL1985, CBS (E)SBPG62242, I Grandi del Jazz
        (It)GDJ-07, Time-Life STL-J17, Solar (Sp)4569938
        [CD]
CO76996    Moten swing    (unissued)

 

 

Edited by jazzcorner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SilverSixPieces.png

Mixed 47w63rd/NY labels, DG mono. Hits the spot !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralph Towner and John Abercrombie, Sargasso Sea (ECM)Image result for Ralph Towner and John Abercrombie Sargasso SeaImage result for Jimmy Cleveland emarcyImage result for Duke Ellington Jazz Violin sessionsImage result for Bud shank this bud's for youImage result for Fela teacher don't teach me nonsense

Jimmy Cleveland, Rhythm Crazy (Emarcy)

Duke Ellington, Jazz Violin Sessions (Atlantic)

Bud Shank, This Bud's For You (Muse)

Fela, Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense (Philips Nigeria)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1127457-1516937929-2039.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Don Moye - Earth Passage - Density [Black Saint]

R-6797094-1584683024-8049.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Don Moye - Black Paladins [Black Saint]

R-370964-1396706256-5820.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Anthony Braxton - Together Alone [Delmark]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1127457-1516937929-2039.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Don Moye - Earth Passage - Density [Black Saint]

R-6797094-1584683024-8049.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Don Moye - Black Paladins [Black Saint]

R-370964-1396706256-5820.jpeg.jpg

Joseph Jarman, Anthony Braxton - Together Alone [Delmark]

Glad these got an outing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Glad these got an outing

I second that motion.  :tup 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now spinning:

R-1257432-1362780913-8466.jpeg.jpg

Cecil McBee Sextet with Chico Freeman - Compassion (Enja, 1979)
with Steve McCall (d) and Famoudou Don Moye (perc)

Yeeeeeeessssssss.  

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count Basie, Hall of Fame (Verve)

Chick Corea, Bliss (Muse) (aka, Pete LaRoca, Turkish Women at the Bath)Image result for Count Basie hall of fameImage result for chick corea bliss muse

I haven't heard the original Douglas LP, but this Muse reissue has quite fine sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-1257432-1362780913-8466.jpeg.jpg

Cecil McBee Sextet with Chico Freeman - Compassion (Enja, 1979)
with Steve McCall (d) and Famoudou Don Moye (perc)

Yeeeeeeessssssss.  

 

Yep ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-10456756-1515755480-5955.jpeg.jpg

John Coltrane - Giant Steps [Atlantic, mono reissue]

R-15238394-1588513286-4418.jpeg.jpg

Chad Taylor - Myths & Morals [earsandeyes Records]

R-5557474-1396478876-6790.jpeg.jpg

Eric Thielemans - Sprang [Miasmah]

R-15592475-1594299869-5303.jpeg.jpg

Laurence Pike - Prophecy [Leaf]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.