What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Ballake Sissoko, DjouroImage result for ballake sisoko djourou

How are you finding that?  I sampled a few tracks and wasn't too convinced by some of the collaborations

Edit to add: decided to listen to it and can see that I fell for the danger of random sampling. Still not sure about the Camille track at all

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How are you finding that?  I sampled a few tracks and wasn't too convinced by some of the collaborations

Edit to add: decided to listen to it and can see that I fell for the danger of random sampling. Still not sure about the Camille track at all

I ordered the LP from amazon (US). The CD was not in stock when I ordered but does show up as in stock now (though with a suspiciously delayed delivery date). There are 8 tracks. Two are solo kora. Of the collaborations, the ones with Sona Jobarteh and Vincent Segal/Patrick Messina are excellent. I don't know who Camille is, but I liked that track and the one with Salif Keita. The track with Oxmo Puccino I did not care for. The track with Piers Faccini was okay. This opinion is based on listening to the LP twice in a row last night.

Edited by kh1958

2 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

I ordered the LP from amazon (US). The CD was not in stock when I ordered but does show up as in stock now (though with a suspiciously delayed delivery date). There are 8 tracks. Two are solo kora. Of the collaborations, the ones with Sona Jobarteh and Vincent Segal/Patrick Messina are excellent. I don't know who Camille is, but I liked that track and the one with Salif Keita. The track with Oxmo Puccino I did not care for. The track with Piers Faccini was okay.

Thanks.  Giving it another spin and I agree with you on the most successful collaborations.  Salif Keita could sing a shopping list and I'd enjoy it!

Spinning this LP again:

R-2475516-1458858836-7441.jpeg.jpg

José Roberto Bertrami - Dreams Are Real (Milestone, 1986)

Keyboards, Electric Piano, Percussion, Arrangements – José Roberto Bertrami
Flugelhorn – Paulinho Olivera
Flute – José Carlos (Bigorna) 
Harmonica – Mauricio Einhorn
Acoustic Guitar – Durval Ferreira, Otávio Bonfá
Bass – Nico Assumpção
Drums – João Palma, Robertinho Silva
Percussion – Laudir de Oliveira, Zizinho
Vibraphone – Jota Moraes
Vocals – Flora Purim

Fantastic.

This again:

91PfDmdfzbL._SS600_.jpg

EDIT: 
Just finished listening to Tate's version of "Isfahan," the first cut on Side 2.  I had to get up and move the tonearm back to the beginning to listen again.  Wow.  Tate doesn't erase memories of Johnny Hodges' way with this tune -- no one can! -- but Tate can take a proud spot right up there beside Hodges on Olympus when it comes to this song.  That is no mean feat.

16 hours ago, Brad said:

94994323-351A-4B76-9A15-BB95A915323C.jpeg

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by HutchFan

Horace Silver - Further Explorations of the Horace Silver Quintet (Blue Note/Tone Poet).

Horace Silver - Further Explorations (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) [LP] -  Amazon.com Music

This may be one of my last Tone Poet buys. Sound is very good but as I've been buying more & more of these, I'm remembering how damn inconvenient LPs are. Even with the purchase of a second turntable for my upstairs listening space, I still have to "make time" to play these damn things. It's so much easier to drop a CD into a tray and hit "Play" and even easier to load up my playlist on my PC and never have to get up again. I guess I'm getting too lazy for vinyl. :)

Booker Ervin - The In Between (Blue Note). As much as I like Booker, this doesn't seem to come off the shelf very often. "Typical Booker" might be the best descriptor. I was once told by a musician that Booker only has two solos - a slow one and a fast one. Maybe this is one of those dates where that is more evident?

The In Between - Booker Ervin | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic