• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Oh Yes, indeed it is

R-1818027-1474365723-8048.jpeg.jpg

Archie Shepp ‎– À Massy - U-Jaama "Unité" [Uniteledis, 1976]

Oh yeah, I also purchased this shortly after it came out. I think I bought it during an open air jazz festival were they sold records during intermission. They had more obscure labels, like this one.

That great group ! And maybe this was the beginning of Shepps return from totally free to more straight ahead forms like "Blues for Donald Duck" 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yeah, I also purchased this shortly after it came out. I think I bought it during an open air jazz festival were they sold records during intermission. They had more obscure labels, like this one.

That great group ! And maybe this was the beginning of Shepps return from totally free to more straight ahead forms like "Blues for Donald Duck" 

Yeah, indeed an excellent album. For what it's worth Shepp was playing straight-ahead throughout his career, left and right/up and down, and most of his LPs include at least one tune in a more standard vein.

8 minutes ago, bresna said:

Look at that old digital watch - it's huge. I wonder if it's one of those red LED watches where you have to push the button to turn it on or an early LCD where there was a button to turn on a light behind it?

My guess would be latter.

Yeah, I remember how digital watches kept getting bigger and BIGGER.  Eventually, lots of them had calculators with full numerical keypads built in.  Man, they were so ugly.  ... MUCH worse than the one Paquito's wearing.

Now spinning:

R-1092936-1260149547.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

17 minutes ago, bresna said:

Look at that old digital watch - it's huge. I wonder if it's one of those red LED watches where you have to push the button to turn it on or an early LCD where there was a button to turn on a light behind it?

A friend of mine has a theory that the late seventies through early 90s, starting with VSOP, was the wristwatch jazz / rolex jazz era. 

I'm not sure what the characteristics of the Rolex jazz genre are, but, since he pointed it out, I have had to concede that he has a point. 

8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

A friend of mine has a theory that the late seventies through early 90s, starting with VSOP, was the wristwatch jazz / rolex jazz era. 

I'm not sure what the characteristics of the Rolex jazz genre are, but, since he pointed it out, I have had to concede that he has a point. 

Like, as in official sponsorship? Such as "here's some $$$ for taking album pics with our watch on" type thing? 

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Like, as in official sponsorship? Such as "here's some $$$ for taking album pics with our watch on" type thing? 

I don't know. Possibly. I think more in the sense that a lot of live footage and cover artwork prominently features very chunky and expensive luxury wristwatches accidentally in shot. 

Rolex jazz classic:

A-270271-1113313383.jpg.jpg

Also, anything involving Wayne Shorter from 76 onwards. 

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know. Possibly. I think more in the sense that a lot of live footage and cover artwork prominently features very chunky and expensive luxury wristwatches accidentally in shot. 

Also, it seems like, beginning in the 80s, jazz came to be very much associated with "upscale" stuff -- more than it had been in the past.  A sort of cultural signifier for "classy shit." 

And watches would be one example of that.  Associate your watch with jazz and ergo you have a classy, sophisticated watch. 

All marketing nonsense, of course. 

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Also, it seems like, beginning in the 80s, jazz came to be very much associated with "upscale" stuff -- more than it had been in the past.  A sort of cultural signifier for "classy shit." 

And watches would be one example of that.  Associate your watch with jazz and ergo you have a classy, sophisticated watch. 

All marketing nonsense, of course. 

I think that's it. Like the return of the sharp suit, just a bit cruder. Maybe a hint of the 80s equivalence of wallet thickness with talent.