Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

A friend of ours in Chicago worked for the ad agency and made it happen.

He still fits comfortably in the type of person Dewar's was "profiling". Just check a google image search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22dewar%27s+profiles%22&sxsrf=ALeKk02xnne5jTlF-ZObF1uoSyqsGBfR-Q:1621279329096&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=g5xWiYj2UAoM6M%252C3up6HqYBj7aMQM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTSftim8kr6atMDz4ZKfWJJ56oJfA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjY2_eTuNHwAhVOd6wKHdzwAsUQ9QF6BAgWEAE&biw=1280&bih=560#imgrc=g5xWiYj2UAoM6M

(That's gotta be the youngest photo of Jerry Orbach I've ever seen ... granted he was a major broadway star but that was pre-hollywood fame let alone Law & Order.)

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Miles-Davis-Rolex-Day-Date.jpg

Wait a minute ! Since I couldn´t see any comentary or analysis, is that "You Are Under Arrest?". Since it seems this as another cover photo than mine. On the copy I have Miles with  a gun. Well I don´t really like guns in combination with music and with live in general  with the exception when I was in the army as a teenager and liked it, but how about a little talk about the music ? 

I remember those 80´s as a time when we all waited eagerly for the next Miles album. At least as long as there still was a kind of "jazz group" feeling in it, not only computeres with Miles overdubbed. 

As much as we loved "Man with the Horn", "We want Miles" and the third one, that one with the long blues on it "Star Eyes", but  let´s say "Decoy" didn´t move me at all with the exception of "Code MD" which he also played live, much better than in the studio. 

"Arrest" was something else. I liked the bass intro because it reminded me of "Jack Johnson" and the Jack Johnson version on "Agartha", and even the pop tune "Time After Time" sounded good for me. Only John Scofield was not exactly what I wanted to hear on guitar, he is a bit behind the beat, I liked Mike Stern more.

I heard Miles with the same group when it was brand new. It was imediatly after the release of "Arrest" and they played those tunes. Then it was fresh and new. But after that it started to become boring and a routine show. For the next years, he always repeated "Arrest", "Time after Time" and the silly "Human Nature". And the then so good blues on the 1983  "Star People" album became some dumb blues cliché (New Blues) . Only on a 1989 album there came a bit more stuff added and some more interesting tunes and real players instead of machines.   

Edited by Gheorghe

Newest and possibly greatest acquisition this side of the Four Sounds Acetate.

After something like 15 years of hoping to find a copy, I tried a "G+" copy from a seller in Denmark. Paid ... way too much for a "G+" record, but way, way less than their offering price. And now after just a seven day trip from Denmark to Florida, dealer is turning out tohave been very conservative in his grading.  Not even sure now if I will bother with the kind offers I got as a result of this thread:

That's Curtis Amy on tenor, if you didn't know ... 

Screenshot 2021-05-18 140127.jpg

R-6869449-1428362468-5787.jpeg.jpg

James Williams - Magical Trio 2 (EmArcy, 1988)
with Ray Brown & Elvin Jones

21 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Newest and possibly greatest acquisition this side of the Four Sounds Acetate.

After something like 15 years of hoping to find a copy, I tried a "G+" copy from a seller in Denmark. Paid ... way too much for a "G+" record, but way, way less than their offering price. And now after just a seven day trip from Denmark to Florida, dealer is turning out tohave been very conservative in his grading.  Not even sure now if I will bother with the kind offers I got as a result of this thread:

That's Curtis Amy on tenor, if you didn't know ... 

Screenshot 2021-05-18 140127.jpg

GREAT news!  :tup 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

GREAT news!  :tup 

Indeed!

And, it seems as though Click Repair is doing a nice, no-artifacts job with decrackle, too, so may not even spend that much time working on getting the tracks in listenable shape. :g

Now this:

71YwF0FiGcL._SL580_.jpg

Ross Tompkins and Good Friends (Concord, 1978)
The most notable "friend" on this LP is Al Cohn, whose playing is ridiculously good.  He makes such an assured and powerful sound -- but it's also effortless, practically Rollins-esque. 

IMO, this LP is right on par with Cohn's late-70s Xanadu gems like Play It Now and Heavy Love

Edited by HutchFan

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note). Listening to Side 1 to see if my turntable/cartridge can pass the torture test that is "Plantation Bag". Apparently, this track presents tracking challenges to some turntables. On first listen to this, they really did a nice job in the mastering studio in creating a lively analog master tape to cut with.

https://az721511.vo.msecnd.net/images/1838/9190152.JPG?637570144675799649

Well - my turntable failed that miserably. Weirdly, it wasn't Farrell's sax solo that got me. It was the piano solo near with the trombone/bass clarinet fills distoring like heck. Sounds like crap.

have the record people done forot how to make records like they used to, you know, where they play right, like records?

has all the knowledge science been lost in less than  a lifetime?

is the $1200/records cost going to R&D and to schooling for record making scientists to reclaim the acanity?

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

have the record people done forot how to make records like they used to, you know, where they play right, like records?

has all the knowledge science been lost in less than  a lifetime?

is the $1200/records cost going to R&D and to schooling for record making scientists to reclaim the acanity?

Perilously close to an old-guy rant.  Look out there, Jim.  :P 

There's always been records that make folks' rigs skip or have problems... especially when you get up there in rarified "audiophile" air.  ;) 

Next up:

R-4408159-1380866700-5601.jpeg.jpg

Jay McShann, Buddy Tate - Crazy Legs & Friday Strut (Sackville, 1977)

Buddy Tate, people!  Buddy Tate !!!

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Perilously close to an old-guy rant.  Look out there, Jim.  :P 

There's always been records that make folks' rigs skip or have problems... especially when you get up there in rarified "audiophile" air.  ;) 

Perilously close, my ass- it's an all-in old guy rant.

They charging how much for this shit and it can't even play as good as a $4.99 LP from 1972?

This only happens because consumers allow it, the same way the discontinuation of vinyl occurred in the first place because consumers allowed it.

Consumers, like people in general, all too ready to vote against their own best reality-based interests whenever a new shiny object is thrown in front of them.

Ok, factoring for inflation, a $4.98 record in 1972 would cost $31.57 today. So, about the same, actually a jumbo soda less. But that $4.98 record ($3.98 for mono), would probably play just fine, and if it didn't, hope in the car (or on the bike) and take it over to Soundtownhouse Of Records and get a new one that did, no problem, no questions asked, hey, this record don't play right, oh, bummer, here's a new one.

Things are supposed to get better over time, unless people forget how to do it, or else just don't give a damn about how it comes out. And the consumer is supposed to drive that bus, if they can stay sober-minded enough, which, ugh about how that goes. But Kramden done Krunk.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note). Listening to Side 1 to see if my turntable/cartridge can pass the torture test that is "Plantation Bag". Apparently, this track presents tracking challenges to some turntables. On first listen to this, they really did a nice job in the mastering studio in creating a lively analog master tape to cut with.

https://az721511.vo.msecnd.net/images/1838/9190152.JPG?637570144675799649

Well - my turntable failed that miserably. Weirdly, it wasn't Farrell's sax solo that got me. It was the piano solo near with the trombone/bass clarinet fills distoring like heck. Sounds like crap.

You know, when I played this the other day, I noticed a couple of spots in the saxophone solo on "Plantation" where I thought I heard a skip -- it wasn't a repeating skip, but a barely audible "jump" that sounded almost like a clumsy edit. I took the record off and wiped with a cloth to see if there was a speck of dust or something stuck to the vinyl. Played it again with same result. I couldn't feel anything with my finger, so I was confused. Then I played it again with my eyes right at stylus level to see if I could actually see the "jump" but I could not see anything unusual, but I still heard the jump. I was about ready to take the record back but then the next time I played that spot, the record seemed to play fine.

So:

(a) I guess I am not the only one who noticed an issue.

(b) My record apparently is possessed and it is sometimes going to jump and sometimes will play fine just to fuck with my mind. 

The rumor mill (actually, the Steve Hoffman forum :) ) says that cartridges with a higher tracking force seem to fare better. Well, I just happened to pick up a Denon 110th Anniversary DL-103R cartridge last month and that cartridge tracks at 2.5 grams, 2/3rds higher than my Ortofon 2M Black cart, so I stuck that on there (hooray for turntables with swappable headshells) and it plays straight through without any problem... except it really doesn't sound as good to my ears. Bummer. I was hoping to have this cart as a backup (always a good idea with vinyl playback systems) but now I may just buy a back-up 2M Black stylus.