Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

You know, when I played this the other day, I noticed a couple of spots in the saxophone solo on "Plantation" where I thought I heard a skip -- it wasn't a repeating skip, but a barely audible "jump" that sounded almost like a clumsy edit. I took the record off and wiped with a cloth to see if there was a speck of dust or something stuck to the vinyl. Played it again with same result. I couldn't feel anything with my finger, so I was confused. Then I played it again with my eyes right at stylus level to see if I could actually see the "jump" but I could not see anything unusual, but I still heard the jump. I was about ready to take the record back ... 

Take that fucker back. Get one that plays right, like a record should play.

Think about it - if you had paid as much as....$8.98 for that record, you'd not think twice.

This is more than 3X that.

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Perilously close to an old-guy rant.  Look out there, Jim.  :P 

There's always been records that make folks' rigs skip or have problems... especially when you get up there in rarified "audiophile" air.  ;) 

Next up:

R-4408159-1380866700-5601.jpeg.jpg

Jay McShann, Buddy Tate - Crazy Legs & Friday Strut (Sackville, 1977)

Buddy Tate, people!  Buddy Tate !!!

Oh yes, agreed !

I saw Jay McShann in the mid 80´s I think, at Jazzland in Vienna. Very very fine to hear some Kansas City styled music. And at one point on the last set, the sicilian female blues singer Etta Scollo sat in for some blues vocals, it was very very nice and Mr. McShann also liked it.

I saw Buddy Tate around the same time in other surroundings. It was a Woody Herman All-Stars. That was the first time I saw Woody Herman without the Herd, just a smaller group. Buddy Tate, Al Cohn and Scott Hamilton were on tenor, I think it was Warren Vaché on trumpet, John Bunch on piano, a young unknown bass player (George Duvivier was scheduled but was sick, I think he died a few days later), and if I remember right, it was Jake Hanna on drums.

R-18629965-1621010619-6403.jpeg.jpg

Sounds great so far, definite improvement on the CD, (which I've played several times this week) to my ears at least.  My copy has passed the 'Plantation Bag' test, thankfully.  Still two tracks to listen to though, so...fingers remain crossed.

The pricing is steep over here but if it means shops like Honest Jon's survive then I'll make that choice.  Lovely to purchase this over a counter in a real shop; it's been too long.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yes, agreed !

I saw Jay McShann in the mid 80´s I think, at Jazzland in Vienna. Very very fine to hear some Kansas City styled music. And at one point on the last set, the sicilian female blues singer Etta Scollo sat in for some blues vocals, it was very very nice and Mr. McShann also liked it.

I saw Buddy Tate around the same time in other surroundings. It was a Woody Herman All-Stars. That was the first time I saw Woody Herman without the Herd, just a smaller group. Buddy Tate, Al Cohn and Scott Hamilton were on tenor, I think it was Warren Vaché on trumpet, John Bunch on piano, a young unknown bass player (George Duvivier was scheduled but was sick, I think he died a few days later), and if I remember right, it was Jake Hanna on drums.

:tup:tup:tup 

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-3647249-1338748666-1198.jpeg.jpg

Billy Bang & Charles Tyler - Live at Green Space [Anima, 1982]

Bang's Anima releases would make a great boxset

I don’t know the Animas at all. Are there any you’d recommend in particular? 

the idea of a Tyler / Bang meet up sounds pretty intriguing.

17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

My favourite is the one with John Lindberg. Great playing from both on that.

The one with Tyler is more austere than I had imagined but that's only after two listens. He plays on a couple of the Black Saint albums iirc

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

NoBuisness released an excellent 2xCD that has the Anima date New York Collage paired with an unreleased session. Highly recommended.

Sweet Space and Untitled Gift are both great as well. Frank Lowe on the former, Don Cherry on the latter. They were released as a CD set in 2004, but you'd be better off searching for the original LPs as that one is very hard to come by. 

Edited by colinmce

29 minutes ago, colinmce said:

NoBuisness released an excellent 2xCD that has the Anima date New York Collage paired with an unreleased session. Highly recommended.

I didn't realise that, don't know how I missed it either.  Thanks for mentioning it. The 'New York Collage' goes for far more than the other LPs the last time I looked into it

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, those are really fine duos. 

I guess I'll keep my Passing Ships CD.

My 'Passing Ships' LP is faultless and sounds great compared to the CD (but my TT is probably of higher quality than my CD player nowadays). So I guess if you're lucky in the Tone Poet lottery it's worth a go

a2480294455_16.jpg

Praed Orchestra - Live In Sharjah [Morphine Records, 2020]

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Sweet Space and Untitled Gift are both great as well. Frank Lowe on the former, Don Cherry on the latter. They were released as a CD set in 2004, but you'd be better off searching for the original LPs as that one is very hard to come by. 

Oh! I actually own Sweet Space. That's a very good record. I hadn't realised it was on Anima.

Now spinning this new-to-my-collection LP:

R-568430-1585808275-4447.jpeg.jpg

Eddie Palmieri - Superimposition (Tico, 1970)

I ordered this LP -- a VG/VG copy -- from one of my "go to" Discogs retailers at a (relatively) low price.  VG is one of those grades that's "iffy"; LPs with that grade can sound fine or they can sound terrible.  So I just gave the disc a good scrubbing and a couple spins on the Record Doctor.  I'm listening to it now, and it sounds fantastic!  No Rice Krispies!!!  Not "perfect" -- but perfectly listenable.  

As for the music, it's TREMENDOUS.  And this is one of those recordings for which vinyl is especially appropriate. The A side features Palmieri in a more traditional "Salsa" (for lack of a better term) mode, and the B side consists of more open-ended, "Latin Jazz" explorations.  It's like the two sides of the album represent two different -- but interrelated -- aspects of Palmieri's musical personality. 

I caught a plum. :g 

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning this new-to-my-collection LP:

R-568430-1585808275-4447.jpeg.jpg

Eddie Palmieri - Superimposition (Tico, 1970)

I ordered this LP -- a VG/VG copy -- from one of my "go to" Discogs retailers at a (relatively) low price.  VG is one of those grades that's "iffy"; LPs with that grade can sound fine or they can sound terrible.  So I just gave the disc a good scrubbing and a couple spins on the Record Doctor.  I'm listening to it now, and it sounds fantastic!  No Rice Krispies!!!  Not "perfect" -- but perfectly listenable.  

As for the music, it's TREMENDOUS.  And this is one of those recordings for which vinyl is especially appropriate. The A side features Palmieri in a more traditional "Salsa" (for lack of a better term) mode, and the B side consists of more open-ended, "Latin Jazz" explorations.  It's like the two sides of the album represent two different -- but interrelated -- aspects of Palmieri's musical personality. 

I caught a plum. :g 

Well done.

A really incredible album that I’ve et to find in the wild.

35 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Joe Chambers/Larry Young, Double Exposure (Muse)

Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, Abdul-Malik, Curtis Fuller, Kenny Dorham, Herbie Mann, Live in Rio (Vogue)Image result for Joe Chambers larry young double exposure

Just listened to the Abdul-Malik track from 'Live in Rio' which is the only one I could find online, predictably marvellous. The Discogs entry for the album is confusing as to who plays with whom.  Am I correct in thinking it's a different band for each track?

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Just listened to the Abdul-Malik track from 'Live in Rio' which is the only one I could find online, predictably marvellous. The Discogs entry for the album is confusing as to who plays with whom.  Am I correct in thinking it's a different band for each track?

Yes, except the rhythm section is the same throughout: Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker, David (?) Bailey (Donald Bailey?).

Aside from the fantastic Abdul-Malik featured track: Red Door has Zims and Cohn; Lover Man features Herbie Mann; It's All Right with Me features Curtis Fuller; Autumn Leaves features Kenny Dorham, and Wee Dot has Mann, Dorham, Fuller and Sims.

The Vogue LP I have appears to be a German pressing. The Notes say it is originally recorded by Roulette.

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, except the rhythm section is the same throughout: Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker, David (?) Bailey (Donald Bailey?).

Aside from the fantastic Abdul-Malik featured track: Red Door has Zims and Cohn; Lover Man features Herbie Mann; It's All Right with Me features Curtis Fuller; Autumn Leaves features Kenny Dorham, and Wee Dot has Mann, Dorham, Fuller and Sims.

The Vogue LP I have appears to be a German pressing. The Notes say it is originally recorded by Roulette.

Thanks for explaining it all.  I'm almost tempted just for the Abdul-Malik track alone

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-17985154-1616575904-2903.jpeg.jpg

Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders, LSO - Promises [Luaka Bop, 2021]

I know this splits opinion, especially amongst the Jazz cognoscenti, but it works for me every time. Definitely not a Jazz album though.

Works for me too!!