wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

48,086 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm intrigued to know which higher plane of transcendence you'll have reached by Friday afternoon.

It will be interesting for me too but the times ( about 60 to 70 years ago)  with this enthusiasm will never come back.

On 14/07/2021 at 10:54 PM, sidewinder said:
3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-4033378-1353009426-8420.jpeg.jpg

Dick Grove Orchestra - Little Bird Suite [Pacific Jazz, 1963 mono]

such a good record. Mine's too crackly, replacement just ordered.

Great record, I have this in beautiful red vinyl, not sure but maybe from a Mole jazz auction way back. The track ‘little bird’ is a minor masterpiece I reckon. I love Bob Hardaway’s tenor solo, probably not more than 30 seconds, but perfect. 

Anthony 

London

Now spinning:

R-3407811-1329226743.jpeg.jpg

Clare Fischer Orchestra featuring Jerry Coker - Extension (Discovery/Pacific Jazz)

Masterful composing & arranging.

R-3165352-1318717723.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Free Form [Jazzland, 1961, mono]

Thanks to @sidewinder for the nudge, made it across the Atlantic surprisingly swiftly. Sounding lovely

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 2:50 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Firstly, the YouTube stuff was posted by Milton Suggs Jr, not the bass player on the record. Luba was a friendly spirit who popped up once in a while. Never knew his history.

My record cot here today, and a lady named "Barbara" signed here name twice on the front cover, once in sharpie (and verylarge!), and then again in reglar inkpen in smaller, normal size writing. This was Barbara's record, y'all, BARBARA's record!

Also learned on the back cover that Tommy Jones was credited as producer, and again I ask...has the Madman's story every been fully told? Is it even known?

Liner notes are by Jim Partee...is that a real names, especially considering that the label is Erect Records?

Anyway, flayva, y'all, FLAY-VAH!

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-3165352-1318717723.jpeg.jpg

Joe Harriott Quintet - Free Form [Jazzland, 1961, mono]

Thanks to @sidewinder for the nudge, made it across the Atlantic surprisingly swiftly. Sounding lovely

Glad to hear it’s OK. I must admit, have never been a fan of those orange label Jazzlands from the US on the sonic front.

Thelonious Monk - The Complete Thelonious Monk At The It Club (Mosaic). Spinning LP2 now. I don't think I've ever gotten around to spinning all 4 LPs yet. Maybe today's the day?

The Complete Thelonious Monk at the It Club - Jazz Messengers

R-84278-1488305403-4069.jpeg.jpg

so far, so Brubeck and Bossa big band. 

I imagine @Teasing the Korean in a mid-20th century East German pad, Bauhaus inspired naturally. But would the cocktails be any good?

7 minutes ago, bresna said:

Thelonious Monk - The Complete Thelonious Monk At The It Club (Mosaic). Spinning LP2 now. I don't think I've ever gotten around to spinning all 4 LPs yet. Maybe today's the day?

The Complete Thelonious Monk at the It Club - Jazz Messengers

You’re not the only one to have let that one gather dust. :rlol

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I imagine @Teasing the Korean in a mid-20th century East German pad, Bauhaus inspired naturally. But would the cocktails be any good?

Rosa Klebb stirring the drinks?

Posted (edited)

R-5351950-1391260886-4289.jpeg.jpg

Ronnie Scott & The Band - Live At Ronnie Scott's [CBS, 1968]

24 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Rosa Klebb stirring the drinks?

But what is the white powder she's adding to them?

Edited by mjazzg

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Glad to hear it’s OK. I must admit, have never been a fan of those orange label Jazzlands from the US on the sonic front.

The few ones I've had seemed to always be cheap, crackly vinyl, or maybe plastic even. Not flexible, not luxurious, music great, records itself seemed cheap. not unlike Crown in that regard.

37 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

If I am mixing them, yes, though I may be inclined to drink wine with this music, based on your description.  

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The few ones I've had seemed to always be cheap, crackly vinyl, or maybe plastic even. Not flexible, not luxurious, music great, records itself seemed cheap. not unlike Crown in that regard.

Yes, I have a Dorothy Ashby that fits that description but this Harriott is definitely superior

2 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If I am mixing them, yes, though I may be inclined to drink wine with this music, based on your description.  

It was the availability of the ingredients that was worrying me rather than the mixer's skills. I know nothing about 1950's East German wine...

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Recycled vinyl?

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It was the availability of the ingredients that was worrying me rather than the mixer's skills. I know nothing about 1950's East German wine...

Nor do I, but we don't have to look at the label while we're drinking. ;)

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Nor do I, but we don't have to look at the label while we're drinking. ;)

Get pouring...

On a completely different tack, I saw this exhibition yesterday https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/charlotte-perriand-the-modern-life

Very interesting, great design and some lovely chairs. Perhaps a bit early for your tastes?

Edited by mjazzg

Now spinning:

61J8jjkyHqL._SL600_.jpg

The Art of Hank Crawford: The Atlantic Years (2 LPs, 1973)

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Get pouring...

On a completely different tack, I saw this exhibition yesterday https://designmuseum.org/exhibitions/charlotte-perriand-the-modern-life

Very interesting, great design and some lovely chairs. Perhaps a bit early for your tastes?

Well, we have an Art Deco bedroom set, and a Bauhaus Wassily chair, but much of what we have is 40s-60s designs, or newer designs in those styles.

On 8/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, mjazzg said:

R-4033378-1353009426-8420.jpeg.jpg

Dick Grove Orchestra - Little Bird Suite [Pacific Jazz, 1963 mono]

such a good record. Mine's too crackly, replacement just ordered.

A space-age bachelor pad classic!

On 7/31/2021 at 8:27 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Sabu - Jazz Espagnole

R-424610-1190897146.jpeg.jpg

Sah-boooo!

Love this album!

R-584224-1304174509.jpeg.jpg

Friedhelm Schönfeld

got this last weekend, inspired by that Euro modernism thread even though it's from a bit later (1978), I just felt like I needed more of those Amigas in my life. It's a nice free album with the leader on reeds + flute, the virtuoso Aladar Pege on bass, a drummer and on one track an additional cello...

8 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-584224-1304174509.jpeg.jpg

Friedhelm Schönfeld

got this last weekend, inspired by that Euro modernism thread even though it's from a bit later (1978), I just felt like I needed more of those Amigas in my life. It's a nice free album with the leader on reeds + flute, the virtuoso Aladar Pege on bass, a drummer and on one track an additional cello...

Pleased to hear that it's good as I also ordered a copy for much the same reasons. Mind you, Discogs seller is being very slow so whether it will turn up is a different matter

went through the big city (Amsterdam) in something of a rush on Saturday but ended up buying some pretty cool things like the Schönfeld album, a bottle of that British trappist ale you mentioned recently (excellent, definitely near the top of the more recently established trappist beers - haven't tried the Italian one though),  and also this album which is up next

R-563141-1455883330-4996.jpeg.jpg

Loek Dikker Waterland Ensemble - Tan Tango

Dutch free jazz meets third stream, I guess this is comparable to what someone like Willem Breuker did at the same time (mid 70s), played by a medium-sized band with three reeds, four brass and two violins

Just now, Niko said:

went through the big city (Amsterdam) in something of a rush on Saturday but ended up buying some pretty cool things like the Schönfeld album, a bottle of that British trappist ale you mentioned recently (excellent, definitely near the top of the more recently established trappist beers - haven't tried the Italian one though),  and also this album which is up next

R-563141-1455883330-4996.jpeg.jpg

Loek Dikker Waterland Ensemble - Tan Tango

Dutch free jazz meets third stream, I guess this is comparable to what someone like Willem Breuker did at the same time (mid 70s), played by a medium-sized band with three reeds, four brass and two violins

Sounds like a good trip.  Really pleased you enjoyed the Tynt ale (brewed at the monastery where my late uncle spent his life). That Dikker has a great cover.

the cover is indeed one of the album's biggest selling points... (I also like Gerd Dudek a lot, and I like how the bio for one of the violin players says that he usually plays "schmalzy semi-classical music") guess I'll have to order the companion album now, if only for the cover (this one)

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

61J8jjkyHqL._SL600_.jpg

The Art of Hank Crawford: The Atlantic Years (2 LPs, 1973)

Nice to see this series being played. I will dig out the Hubbard, Mingus and MJQ sets today (subject to finding them).

14 minutes ago, Niko said:

the cover is indeed one of the album's biggest selling points... (I also like Gerd Dudek a lot, and I like how the bio for one of the violin players says that he usually plays "schmalzy semi-classical music") guess I'll have to order the companion album now, if only for the cover (this one)

I'm listening to this now.  Very interesting and by the looks of Discogs very difficult to find