What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves (Mobile Fidelity). I was never big on Mobile Fidelity's LPs, as I never thought that they would sound that much better than the "regular" LPs of the day, but I have to say that this one sounds pretty darn good to my crappy old ears. I did have an original Wally when I got this and since that Wally LP is long gone, I assume that even when my ears were working better, this sounded better. :)

BOB SEGER & THE SILVER BULLET BAND - night moves - Amazon.com Music

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

LIONEL_HAMPTON_YOU%2BBETTER%2BKNOW%2BIT%

Cedar-Walton-Japan-Timeless-Jazz-Master-

I would have liked to hear Cedar Walton with that fantastic trio live. 

I saw Cedar Walton Trio somewhere in the beginning of this century, but don´t remember the personnel, but sure it was not Billy Higgins. 

About Lionel Hampton, I saw him with his BigBand in 1983, but this personnel seems to be a quite "modern" company for that time. 

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I would have liked to hear Cedar Walton with that fantastic trio live. 

I saw Cedar Walton Trio somewhere in the beginning of this century, but don´t remember the personnel, but sure it was not Billy Higgins. 

About Lionel Hampton, I saw him with his BigBand in 1983, but this personnel seems to be a quite "modern" company for that time. 

I was very fortunate to see Cedar and the trio quite a few times. Even got to chat with Cedar on a couple of occasions and as a club volunteer, made him some popcorn after the gig !

First time I saw him was with Eastern Rebellion around 1980, also with Higgins and Williams. Last time was a free outdoor gig in Central LA, Pershing Square, in 1999 where that very same trio was backing George Coleman. That was the last occasion I saw Billy Higgins - an absolute trooper. I have photos taken at that gig somewhere.

Most unusual gig of his - Ronnie Scott’s where the trio had Prof Irwin Corey as the 2nd act. The Prof asked for audience questions and the first one was ‘When is Cedar Walton coming back on?’ :lol:

R-744521-1463321438-2237.jpeg.jpg

Sponsored by Cadbury?

Edited by sidewinder

Funnily enough, this morning I was ripping this Lionel Hampton LP of radio performances from the period in 1948 when there was a MU strike:

R-4423102-1365103495-2571.jpeg.jpg

You get the big names on the front but the total band is:

Wendell Culley, Fats Navarro, Teddy Buckner, Leo 'The Wailer' Shepherd, Richard 'Duke' Garrett, Jimmy Nottingham, Walter Williams, Benny Bailey - tp. Britt Woodman, Andrew Penn, Sonny Craven, James Wormick, Lester Bass, Al Grey - tb. Bobby Plater, Johnny Board - as. Ben Kynard - as& bars. Billy Williams, Johnny Sparrow - ts. Charlie Fowlkes - bars. Milt Buckner - p. Billy Mackel, Wes Montgomery - g. Charles Mingus, Charlie Harris, Roy Johnson - b. Earl 'The |Fox' Walker. 

The arrangements are very modern and I'd not be surprised if Mingus didn't do them all, even though he isn't on all tracks. There are a couple of solos from him and one from Wes. On some tracks there's no Lionel Hampton solo.

THAT'S a modern band for its period, I'd say. The sound's not terribly brilliant, but I like it.

MG

This afternoon, ripped three Dixie Hummingbirds LPs from a not so good period, though there are still good things among the rather commonplace.

Your good deeds - Peacock 1967

R-7757839-1574780258-8466.jpeg.jpg

Ye shall know the truth - 1969

R-7528784-1540229768-5094.jpeg.jpg

Thanks to thee - 1975. They're very well dressed, but not as gospel singers :)

R-15093616-1586604220-1005.jpeg.jpg

And more on the reverse

R-15093616-1586604223-1596.jpeg.jpg

MG

18 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Funnily enough, this morning I was ripping this Lionel Hampton LP of radio performances from the period in 1948 when there was a MU strike:

R-4423102-1365103495-2571.jpeg.jpg

You get the big names on the front but the total band is:

Wendell Culley, Fats Navarro, Teddy Buckner, Leo 'The Wailer' Shepherd, Richard 'Duke' Garrett, Jimmy Nottingham, Walter Williams, Benny Bailey - tp. Britt Woodman, Andrew Penn, Sonny Craven, James Wormick, Lester Bass, Al Grey - tb. Bobby Plater, Johnny Board - as. Ben Kynard - as& bars. Billy Williams, Johnny Sparrow - ts. Charlie Fowlkes - bars. Milt Buckner - p. Billy Mackel, Wes Montgomery - g. Charles Mingus, Charlie Harris, Roy Johnson - b. Earl 'The |Fox' Walker. 

The arrangements are very modern and I'd not be surprised if Mingus didn't do them all, even though he isn't on all tracks. There are a couple of solos from him and one from Wes. On some tracks there's no Lionel Hampton solo.

THAT'S a modern band for its period, I'd say. The sound's not terribly brilliant, but I like it.

MG

Yes, it seems that Hampton had an ear for modern jazz also. But he had to make money, a lot of money with his "act", I mean people jumpin´ to that hits "Flyin Home", "Hamps Boogie" "Hey Baba Rebop" and so on..... and it was still that way when I finally heard him in 1983.

But Hamp really seemed to be interested in more modern musicians too, especially when he did that series of "Who is Who in Jazz" with albums with Dexter, with Mulligan, with Mingus. 

Dig how he plays those Mingus compositions, they have other forms than the usually 32 bars or 12 bars, and other chords than old swing music, but Hampton really manages to play them and solo on them. The only strange thing is that his vibes sound very unusual for younger ears, it sounds more like a xylophone and people of my generation grew up with Milt Jackson and Bobby Hutcherson.....

Yeah, I grew up with the MJQ, but I also had (maybe it had been my aunt's record), and still have,  a 78 of 'Ridin' on the L&N'/'Midnight sun'. So I got both kinds of vibes at the same time.

And on THAT 78, an R&B type number and an important bop standard. I think Hamp was happy with all kinds of jazz.

MG