Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

A good bold one, albeit in its own genre.

Yes, it works well. I've just ordered his new one after listening to it a few times, impressive

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

R-13118819-1548378952-3135.jpeg.jpg

Cleveland Eaton's bass is well-recorded on this live session.  I dig his big, resonant sound.

I find that cover really inviting, screams 'listen to this and have a good time'. I only have one Lewis album, the Clifford Brown tribute with Lem Winchester who was the main reason for buying it.  I'm going to try and listen to this one though.

Edit to add: found the Lewis on Spotify. The era of instant gratification...playing now

Edited by mjazzg

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I find that cover really inviting, screams 'listen to this and have a good time'. I only have one Lewis album, the Clifford Brown tribute with Lem Winchester who was the main reason for buying it.  I'm going to try and listen to this one though.

Yeah, the cover is right on the money.  It's feel-good music, for sure. :tup 

Over the last year or so, I've been picking up Lewis' records here and there -- usually for peanuts -- and I've enjoyed every one of them. 

Chico Hamilton - The Gamut (Solid State)

Liberated from the Stereo Jack's dollar bin.  Pristine vinyl in a generic cover. 

This album is all over the map.  The money cut is "MSP," the opening of which was sampled.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Joe Harriott and John Mayer Double Quintet, Indo Jazz Fusion (Atlantic)

Image result for Joe Harriott john mayer indse jazz fusion

Killer album!  I love records from that period when jazz and easy listening artists were gettin' hip to Eastern sounds!  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

19 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Bolivia - Gato Barbieri with Lonnie Liston Smith - Flying Dutchman

Nice. 

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Killer album!  I love records from that period when jazz and easy listening artists were gettin' hip to Eastern sounds!  

I wish it wasn't just the one period. That mix of freeish jazz and Indian rhythmic and melodic ideas works so well that I think it has as much potential in it as the jazz/cuban combination that has been so fruitful since forever. It's sad that it was essentially a false dawn, plus a few lame Aquarian fusion attempts. 

35 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I wish it wasn't just the one period. That mix of freeish jazz and Indian rhythmic and melodic ideas works so well that I think it has as much potential in it as the jazz/cuban combination that has been so fruitful since forever. It's sad that it was essentially a false dawn, plus a few lame Aquarian fusion attempts. 

There's still a few artists mining that vein.  Rez Abbasi and Rudresh Mahanthappa come to mind.

NP:

R-3360227-1336891183-2523.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

50 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Nice. 

Agreed.  But I also like the "of their time"quality of those albums.

Now Playing:  A Tear to a Smile - Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Polydor

I would have assumed that things would have been more disco-fied by this time, but they are not.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

There's still a few artists mining that vein.  Rez Abbasi and Rudresh Mahanthappa come to mind.

Not to mention, John Handy, Dave Holland,  Charles Lloyd, Aakash Mittal, and Sameer Gupta. And there's: https://brooklynragamassive.bandcamp.com

Edited by kh1958

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Not to mention, John Handy, Dave Holland,  Charles Lloyd, Aakash Mittal, and Sameer Gupta. And there's: https://brooklynragamassive.bandcamp.com

Did these players actually mix jazz with Indian rhythmic and improvisatory concepts, or were they just adding a sitar to mix? What are the records I’m missing?

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Mr Mahanthappa I know, and there’s a nice example of full integration of ideas. Where should I start with Rez Abbasi?

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Latin Jazz All-Stars - Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat (Crown, stereo)

One of the greatest albums ever made.  

I like that. Always think of it as a Buddy Collette album, even though it does say Latin Jazz All Stars in small letters on the back cover.

MG 

On 5.9.2021 at 8:10 AM, kh1958 said:

Sun Ra, Hiroshima/Stars that Shine Darkly (El Saturn). 

Sun Ra, Nothing Is (ESP DISK, Italian pressing)Image result for sun ra hiroshimaImage result for Sun Ra Nothing is

The Sun Ra ESP was the first Sun Ra I had. I bought it together with a batch of other records from a young woman who moved to South America and sold all her stuff, among this a huge collection of jazz, mostly avantgarde and electric Miles early 70´s. 

So my "Nothing Is" was my first impression of Sun Ra and I liked it from the first moment on. Later, just for not wearing out my old LP I also bought it on CD (mini LP cover), since I listen quite often to it. My personal listening experience of it is that I always listen to it at dark with all lights off. I´ve kept this listening in the dark  for 45 years now....(referring to this LP! )

The Sun Ra I heard in the late 70´s was more traditional, his own act of space free jazz mixed with some bop and swing standards....

Edited by Gheorghe

7 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I like that. Always think of it as a Buddy Collette album, even though it does say Latin Jazz All Stars in small letters on the back cover.

MG 

The original vinyl lists Buddy Collette along with the other musicians, but his name is not featured any more prominently than anyone else's.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Sun Ra ESP was the first Sun Ra I had. I bought it together with a batch of other records from a young woman who moved to South America and sold all her stuff, among this a huge collection of jazz, mostly avantgarde and electric Miles early 70´s. 

So my "Nothing Is" was my first impression of Sun Ra and I liked it from the first moment on. Later, just for not wearing out my old LP I also bought it on CD (mini LP cover), since I listen quite often to it. My personal listening experience of it is that I always listen to it at dark with all lights off. I´ve kept this listening in the dark  for 45 years now....(referring to this LP! )

The Sun Ra I heard in the late 70´s was more traditional, his own act of space free jazz mixed with some bop and swing standards....

Nothing Is was also my first Sun Ra LP, in school in Austin at the time. That first side, and John Gilmore on Dancing Shadows, started me on the Sun Ra path. The guys at the record store had seen Sun Ra at some legendary performance at the Armadillo World Headquarters, as I recall.

Edited by kh1958

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Did these players actually mix jazz with Indian rhythmic and improvisatory concepts, or were they just adding a sitar to mix? What are the records I’m missing?

Mr Mahanthappa I know, and there’s a nice example of full integration of ideas. Where should I start with Rez Abbasi?

John Handy's jazz-Indian music fusions are perhaps the most successful-- Karuna Supreme (MPS) and Rainbow (MPS).

Dave Holland played a concert in Dallas in 2017 with a group of mixed jazz and Indian classical musicians that was fantastic--I don't think the group has recorded. There is  Good Hope, a scaled down trio version, but with only Chris Potter and Zakir Hussain.

Aakash Mittal is an alto saxophonist playing in the same vein as Rudresh Mahanthappa that I heard at the Ragas Live Festival a few years ago in a trio with Rez Abassi on guitar.

Sameer Gupta, who I heard at the same festival, is a percussionist with Marc Cary, who combines jazz and Indian music in his own recordings.

There's also a John Mayer recording of more recent vintage (1996) that is quite good.  https://smile.amazon.com/John-Mayers-Indo-Fusions-1997-01-01/dp/B01K8QOISU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=John+Mayer%27s+Indo+Jazz+Fusions&qid=1630943091&s=music&sr=1-3

Edited by kh1958