wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

48,107 posts in this topic

Just now, mjazzg said:

Definitely! I can't believe I've slept on him for so long. I have another three in the post at the moment. My new obsession...

He's hitting a similar spot that Yusef Lateef does for me. Thank you for all your Moody posts that eventually nudged me in the right direction.

I'm happy that the Moody bug bit you. :) The man made amazing, SOULFUL music that's often overlooked.  

Just now, HutchFan said:

I'm happy that the Moody bug bit you. :) The man made amazing, SOULFUL music that's often overlooked.  

So far I've gone for late 50s through to a Muse. I saw a Novus, how are the later dates?

The later (on both Novus & WB) dates tend to be a bit "produced", but the last dates (on IPO) are badass. But - do not hesitate to go backwards as well. The late-40s/early 50s stuff are magnificent.

https://jamesmoody.com/discography/

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

So far I've gone for late 50s through to a Muse. I saw a Novus, how are the later dates?

I have one of Moody's Novus records, Something Special.  It's very good -- but, IMO, it's not quite on the same level as those prime years.

From Moody's later years, my favorite very well could be Our Delight with Hank Jones on IPO.  

Just now, HutchFan said:

I have one of Moody's Novus records, Something Special.  It's very good -- but, IMO, it's not quite on the same level as those prime years.

From Moody's later years, my favorite very well could be Our Delight with Hank Jones on IPO.  

Thank you

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The later (on both Novus & WB) dates tend to be a bit "produced", but the last dates (on IPO) are badass. But - do not hesitate to go backwards as well. The late-40s/early 50s stuff are magnificent.

Yep!

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

https://jamesmoody.com/discography/

Thanks a lot.

On this now

R-2672034-1398750148-9463.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mjazzg

Don't overlook Moody's Vanguard LPs.  They're products of their time, but they're definitely well worth hearing -- particularly Sun Journey and the "Summit" record with Elvin and Clark Terry.

There seems to be a lot not to overlook :lol:

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks a lot.

On this now

R-2672034-1398750148-9463.jpeg.jpg

Bought that from Mole in the deletions rack over 40 years ago !

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I have that one but find it a bit over-sickly with the souped-up synth, I’m afraid. Correction to say I’m thinking of ‘Sweet and Lovely’.

Edited by sidewinder

Now spinning:

R-5216907-1395092487-4254.jpeg.jpg

Duke Ellington's My People (Flying Dutchman; originally released on Contact, 1965)

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

R-5216907-1395092487-4254.jpeg.jpg

Duke Ellington's My People (Flying Dutchman; originally released on Contact, 1965)

I love this! I have a mono Contact copy that sounds wonderful. 

And several cd versions.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I love this! ...

Me too. :tup

It's a one-of-a-kind in Ellington's discography. Nothing else quite like it. 

4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Me too. :tup

It's a one-of-a-kind in Ellington's discography. Nothing else quite like it. 

Yes. Though I think "A Drum is a Woman" is a whimsical sister recording that I love.

18 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes. Though I think "A Drum is a Woman" is a whimsical sister recording that I love.

I'd never thought about a connection between those two LPs.  But now that you mention it, I can see what you're talking about. :tup

R-555557-1453378210-2897.jpeg.jpg

Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - South Africa to South Carolina [Arista, 1975]

Now one of today's arrivals

R-3630626-1338084219-3932.jpeg.jpg

Chico Hamilton Quintet - Ellington Suite [World Pacific Records, 1959 mono]

And now another

R-1276074-1549125707-8918.jpeg.jpg

Roberto Miguel Miranda - The Creator's Musician [Nimbus, 1980]

How's that Miranda? I love him as a bass player but don't own any of his leader dates.

A5-D8-F336-C9-DC-4054-B64-D-3915-A6-ABC0

Sam records does it again! What a sound and what a record! I already was a big fan of Nathan Davis but George Arvanitas strikes me also as a great musician! I like his playing. 

37 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

How's that Miranda? I love him as a bass player but don't own any of his leader dates.

It's solo. Uses the full range of the bass, some extended techniques but fundamentally melodic, lots of space.  Very spiritual if you read the sleeve notes, inspired by his faith which I think is transmitted in the music. Many might call it "Spiritual" because of the label it's on, I won't.

This was my first listen and I'm pleased I bought it. I think it will get many more outings

Now I'm on another new arrival

R-2838486-1611825011-2585.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Williams - Life Time [Blue Note, Liberty 1971]

sounds great, what a band

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

A5-D8-F336-C9-DC-4054-B64-D-3915-A6-ABC0

Sam records does it again! What a sound and what a record! I already was a big fan of Nathan Davis but George Arvanitas strikes me also as a great musician! I like his playing. 

That's good to hear. Mine's on order with a UK source, hopefully turns up soon. Very pleased that they repressed.

Also, you have lots of lovely spare room to fill on those shelves....

Edited by mjazzg

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Very spiritual if you read the sleeve notes, inspired by his faith which I think is transmitted in the music. Many might call it "Spiritual" because of the label it's on, I won't.

I'm looking forward to the materialist jazz scene of the 1980s getting rediscovered. Someone on Columbia get Gilles Peterson on the phone.

Edited by Rabshakeh

13 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'm looking forward to the materialist jazz scene of the 1980s getting rediscovered. Someone on Columbia get Gilles Peterson on the phone.

I might still have the suit. Whether I can get into it is another matter

R-5451516-1515021591-9459.jpeg.jpg

Johnny Lytle - The Loop [Tuba Records, 1966 mono]

'the "IN" sound of vibes & organ' - so it says and so it is

53 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I might still have the suit. Whether I can get into it is another matter

It's all about the enormous and prominently displayed watch.