What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I just got a new stylus for my pickup (Shure V15 type IV, the model with the (in)famous "stabilizer brush"). The first record I played was Clare Fischer's excellent debut on Pacific Jazz, 'First Time Out' on a hyper-quiet Toshiba pressing. I espescially like the interplay with Gary Peacock. 

R-9100492-1547185978-7601.jpeg.jpg

Was he the composer of that fine bossa tune I heard on a Freddie Hubbard album, maybe also on a Messengers Album with Freddie in the group ?

I remember that even my wife liked the "feeling of the tune" , but I was quite astonished it´s not a brazilian composer....

But most of all, how Freddie and Lee Morgan cooked on that tune, which sounds like some palm beaches ,  sun, holiday resort and relaxin at the pool.... that happy feeling of summer vacation...

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Was he the composer of that fine bossa tune I heard on a Freddie Hubbard album, maybe also on a Messengers Album with Freddie in the group ?

I remember that even my wife liked the "feeling of the tune" , but I was quite astonished it´s not a brazilian composer....

But most of all, how Freddie and Lee Morgan cooked on that tune, which sounds like some palm beaches ,  sun, holiday resort and relaxin at the pool.... that happy feeling of summer vacation...

You probably mean 'Pensativa'? It's a great tune that is also fun to improvise on. 

38 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

‘Night of the Cookers’ ?

On 12/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, porcy62 said:

I've got few original pressings, mostly japanese reissues of Transition.

no doubt your king is the #1 way to go for a record of this as it sounds like they mastered it good, ive seen a transition lp once - way older style and louder and different

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

7 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Sounds of Synanon (with Joe Pass, Arnold Ross) (Pacific Jazz)

Weather Report, Black Market (Columbia)Image result for sounds of synanon pactific jazzImage result for weather report black market

Though the electric jazz , jazz rock was the style of the 70´s I had less access to Weather Report than I would have had to Headhunters, RTF, electric Miles . I don´t know what the reason was or is.....

R-5098470-1384438927-3119.jpeg.jpg

I will listen myself through Clare Fischer's albums over the coming weeks, many of which were never reissued on CD. Today, his second Pacific Jazz album, 'Surging Ahead' on an original stereo pressing. It is slighly more conservative than 'First Time Out' with just a single original composition. Again, an interesting choice of bass player in Albert Stinson.

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

R-5098470-1384438927-3119.jpeg.jpg

I will listen myself through Clare Fischer's albums over the coming weeks, many of which were never reissued on CD. Today, his second Pacific Jazz album, 'Surging Ahead' on an original stereo pressing. It is slighly more conservative than 'First Time Out' with just a single original composition. Again, an interesting choice of bass player in Albert Stinson.

A really nice one--I have this on the Mosaic set. I love Stinson's playing anywhere I find it.

2 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

A really nice one--I have this on the Mosaic set. I love Stinson's playing anywhere I find it.

Yes, it's really good. I never got around to that Mosaic set, but I have Fischer covered.

Now I am spinning this one, maybe for the first time in 10 years. Or 20?

R-2962556-1412607607-4381.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

R-2388086-1281112104.jpeg.jpg

Sorta ECM-esque.

Never saw that one! Could you elaborate a bit more? I like Kloss' Prestige dates, but as much for the sidemen as for his own playing, and I don't play them that often. When it comes to ECM, most of what I have (and like) is from the 1970s. Should I look for this album?

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Never saw that one! Could you elaborate a bit more? I like Kloss' Prestige dates, but as much for the sidemen as for his own playing, and I don't play them that often. When it comes to ECM, most of what I have (and like) is from the 1970s. Should I look for this album?

Daniel,

I like Sharing very much.  It's nothing earth-shattering, but it is lovely -- a bit like Kloss' duo LP with Barry Miles a few years earlier, Together (Muse, 1976). 

Neither of these duo records are anything like his earlier Prestige dates.  They're very gentle and reflective.  Not nearly as "jazzy."  

Here's a taste: