What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

15 hours ago, Brad said:

I never understood this fascination that VMP, as well as other companies, have for colored vinyl. 

Branding and aesthetics. I've seen where scolds on other audiophile forums have reminded others that ordinary vinyl is actually "colored" as it initially processes as clear. Some of these colorful pressings are cool to look at on the TT but other than that it's just marketing. 

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The funniest thing about colored vinyl is that it makes it almost impossible to grade the record without playing it so the collectors of these things have no idea what they're getting most of the time. I have to admit, I can't see scratches or even dirt/dust when I play them.

I do have to add that today's colored vinyl seems to be made much better than the stuff from old days. Back in the 70's & 80's when I was buying a lot of vinyl, I avoided colored vinyl and especially picture discs, because they almost always sounded terrible and wore out quickly. I remember when someone gave me a picture disc of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and the picture had a hazy look to it from being played so often and it played back with rice crispies throughout.

Listening to this LP again:

R-367437-1366787458-6518.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper - New York Album (Galaxy, rel. 1985)
with Hank Jones, Ron Carter, and Al Foster

Recorded in 1979, this is "leftover" music from the John Snyder-produced So In Love sessions.  Even though it was released posthumously, it's primo Pepper.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Listening to this LP again:

R-367437-1366787458-6518.jpeg.jpg

Art Pepper - New York Album (Galaxy, rel. 1985)
with Hank Jones, Ron Carter, and Al Foster

Recorded in 1979, this is "leftover" music from the John Snyder-produced So In Love sessions.  Even though it was released posthumously, it's primo Pepper.

That's the Artist House material that reverted back to Laurie, right? She is selling all of that material digitally on bandcamp: https://blueplatespecials.bandcamp.com/album/artists-house-sessions-complete

43 minutes ago, bresna said:

That's the Artist House material that reverted back to Laurie, right? She is selling all of that material digitally on bandcamp: https://blueplatespecials.bandcamp.com/album/artists-house-sessions-complete

Yep. That's correct.

Also, for those who prefer vinyl (and don't have the originals), Omnivore reissued the music in a 4-LP set ... in November on Record Store Day:

81IK1I5+ysL._SX522_.jpg

https://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/promise-kept-lp/

It ain't cheap ($78.98), but the music is transcendent.

BTW: If you've got the Complete Galaxy box, you've already got this stuff.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yep. That's correct.

Also, for those who prefer vinyl (and don't have the originals), Omnivore reissued the music in a 4-LP set ... in November on Record Store Day:

81IK1I5+ysL._SX522_.jpg

https://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/promise-kept-lp/

It ain't cheap ($78.98), but the music is transcendent.

BTW: If you've got the Complete Galaxy box, you've already got this stuff.

I have nearly all of this material on the 3 Analogue Productions SACDs that they put out in 2003. I think it's missing one track ("Donna Lee") and 4 alternate takes. They also sound very nice.

R-4808150-1498409258-3652.jpeg.jpg

Bud Freeman - Satin Doll (All Life, 1980)

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

I have nearly all of this material on the 3 Analogue Productions SACDs that they put out in 2003. I think it's missing one track ("Donna Lee") and 4 alternate takes. They also sound very nice.

Oh. I didn't realize Analogue Productions had reissued those sessions too.

Many routes to the same destination!  ;)

On 1/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, bresna said:

I do agree to a certain point but I thought that this one was particularly cool. As I said, the music isn't all that great to my ears and I wasn't planning to buy it on vinyl at all but this pressing caught my eye, so why not?

Besides, if I ever decide that I don't need this in my collection, I will not lose money on it. No matter the reason, many of these VMP pressings are getting crazy money on the secondary market.

Some of the colors are not terrible; the Billie Holliday VMP is a pleasing blue but they did a Monk one that was a splatter design that was hideous. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, Dub Modal said:

Branding and aesthetics. I've seen where scolds on other audiophile forums have reminded others that ordinary vinyl is actually "colored" as it initially processes as clear. Some of these colorful pressings are cool to look at on the TT but other than that it's just marketing. 

I think I read somewhere that black vinyl is not really black, as you pointed out. It’s just what we’ve become used to. 

On 2.1.2022 at 11:35 PM, Daniel A said:

Clare Fischer 'Extension', mono pressing. In all honesty, this session sounds better on the excellent CD reissue produced by Jonathan Horwich  some ten years ago. To me, this is the most interesting recording from Fischer's Pacific Jazz years. There's a lot to discover from repeated listening.

R-3483181-1633507026-8516.jpeg.jpg

I understand that the picture does not show your copy, but do you keep the OBI strips on? I hide them inside as I want to see the real cover pictures.

Yes , often on the OBI strip you can find some more valuable Informations.  On DISCOGS they prefer the  front cover scan with the OBI.

Now on the turntable

42799109bo.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

21 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Weather Report, Mysterious Traveler (Columbia)

The Mundell Lowe Album (Riverside)Image result for weather report mysterious travelerImage result for mundell lowe album riverside

I have this Mundell Lowe album, but it was a really long time since I played it. I recall that I found it a bit low-key. What are your impressions? 

Edited by Daniel A

James Williams, Everything I Love (Concord)

Stan Getz, Reflections (Verve)

Atomic Basie (Roulette/Japanese pressing)Image result for James williams everything I love concordImage result for Stan Getz reflections  verveImage result for Atomic basie roulette

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have this Mundell Lowe album, but it was a really long time since I played it. I recall that I found it a bit low-key. What are your impressions? 

This copy was unusually heavy vinyl for Riverside and had very fine sound. Music was modestly good. Pretty restrained and he's no Kenny Burrell, but still a fine album.

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Lester Bowie and Phillip Wilson - Duet (Improvising Artists, 1978).R-1125263-1449209481-8588.jpeg.jpg

New purchase today. First day out of quarantine. From Sounds of the Universe on Berwick St in Soho.

A surprise hit with my wife.

Wins all round then. Hope you're feeling fully recovered. 

R-18919375-1622278979-3077.jpeg.jpg

Masayoshi Fujita - Bird Ambience [Erased Tapes, 2021]