wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

49,918 posts in this topic

Pat Martino - THE VISIT! A stellar record. With these side-men, it better be!

R-3839381-1412140872-4321.jpeg.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9.1.2022 at 3:04 AM, Dmitry said:

This is a masterpiece. One of the most overlooked records of all time, in my opinion. It must have been a big hit when it came out in 1960.

R-5682428-1502530091-8352.jpeg.jpg

Nice record, by Coltrane's shadow.

R-805208-1414941937-7009.jpeg.jpg

 

The "Live at the East" was my first LP of him, bought in the 70´s. I saw Pharoah on several occasions. The last time I had the LP with me and thought maybe I let him sign it for me after the concert, and I would tell him that I bought it when I was a teenager, but then I thought he might do autographs and went home with the album unsigned....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The "Live at the East" was my first LP of him, bought in the 70´s. I saw Pharoah on several occasions. The last time I had the LP with me and thought maybe I let him sign it for me after the concert, and I would tell him that I bought it when I was a teenager, but then I thought he might do autographs and went home with the album unsigned....

Why didn't you ask him?

Just played Side 1. Very high quality original Danish pressing. 1970s lightweight vinyl, without a single pop/crackle! R-15154408-1587387515-2879.jpeg.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Why didn't you ask him?

Just played Side 1. Very high quality original Danish pressing. 1970s lightweight vinyl, without a single pop/crackle! R-15154408-1587387515-2879.jpeg.jpg

 

 

 

Why I didn´t ask him...... well I heard things that he is not the kind of guy who likes to talk to fans. So I thought he might refuse me or they wouldn´t even let me get inside to "meet him". 

And at that venue they had a completly separate area for the artists , you wouldn´t meet them at the bar like in other clubs. 
I got autographs from Art Farmer, from Dave Liebman, from Eddie Lockjaw Davis and from Curtis Fuller.

I didn´t ask Woody Shaw for an autograph since I had heard he is nearly blind and thought it would be unpolite to ask him....


All the above mentioned musicians asked me my name and wrote dedications..... really wonderful human beings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Why I didn´t ask him...... well I heard things that he is I got autographs from Art Farmer, from Dave Liebman, from Eddie Lockjaw Davis and from Curtis Fuller.

All the above mentioned musicians asked me my name and wrote dedications..... really wonderful human beings...

Things to be remembered fondly .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-7954513-1452356497-3713.jpeg.jpg

Latin All Stars - Jazz Heat Bongo Beat [Eros, UK 1961]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-7954513-1452356497-3713.jpeg.jpg

Latin All Stars - Jazz Heat Bongo Beat [Eros, UK 1961]

Still going. 

Spring is on its way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Still going. 

Spring is on its way.

Warming the cockles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

42819671cb.jpg

 

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

42819671cb.jpg

Beautiful Cover Art ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1952043-1443865796-5089.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Moody's Workshop [Xtra, UK 1967 RP]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1952043-1443865796-5089.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Moody's Workshop [Xtra, UK 1967 RP]

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1952043-1443865796-5089.jpeg.jpg

James Moody - Moody's Workshop [Xtra, UK 1967 RP]

Was this part of the Summer haul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Was this part of the Summer haul?

No, separate indulgence but not wintery in the slightest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-13336560-1552312527-8470.jpeg.jpg

Masahiko Togashi - Rings [East Wind, Japan 1976]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1155429-1603117335-8308.jpeg.jpg

Pat Martino - Live! [Muse, 1972]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1155429-1603117335-8308.jpeg.jpg

Pat Martino - Live! [Muse, 1972]

This is the Pat Martino for me. It's so heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is the Pat Martino for me. It's so heavy.

First listen, lots to chew on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9753006-1485813093-1869.jpeg.jpg

johnny_hartman-sittin_in_with-02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

First listen, lots to chew on

It's like Black Sabbath or something. Happy chewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's like Black Sabbath or something. Happy chewing.

Thanks. I did plenty of Black Sabbath in my youth

23 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

R-9753006-1485813093-1869.jpeg.jpg

johnny_hartman-sittin_in_with-02.jpg

I had no idea that existed. I see from Discogs that there's only two Hill tracks, are they solo?  How's the sound on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a wonky record with a different actual track listing on the record than on the sleeve. More here from Hartman than listed there. Hill's trio backs Johnny and the two Hill numbers without Johnny are trio. 

It's interesting. . . you can hear the roots of the Blue Note Hill here. . . but he's not playing in that manner overall. Sound is okay. Not great--not bad--mono.

 

Right now

a.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie Jam Montreux '77, Pablo LP

Bags! He makes the record for me.

Edited by jazzbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

It's a wonky record with a different actual track listing on the record than on the sleeve. More here from Hartman than listed there. Hill's trio backs Johnny and the two Hill numbers without Johnny are trio. 

It's interesting. . . you can hear the roots of the Blue Note Hill here. . . but he's not playing in that manner overall. Sound is okay. Not great--not bad--mono.

Thanks for the lowdown, sounds intriguing

ZWc.jpeg

Larry Young - The Complete Blue Note Recordings [Mosaic, 1991]

LP.1 'Talkin' About'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.