What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

16 minutes ago, bresna said:

Lonnie Smith - Drives (Blue Note). I have a label variant that someone on discogs dates to 1971/72. The LP artist/title and track info is printed in black ink. It sounds fine. Still uses the Van Gelder stamper. Not my favorite Lonnie Smith date. While the playing is fine, the tunes are not that great. Sign o' the times I guess. I'd rather hear the Blood Sweat & Tears version of "Spinning Wheel".

My cut corner is on the opposite corner.

cGVn.jpeg

cGVn.jpeg

I used to think that Drives was a second-rate period piece hampered by mediocre material, until I really dug the last track, who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.  That alone makes it a must have, IMHO.

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

NTA3My5qcGVn.jpegThat was the Baja Marimba Band, as I recall...

You will notice the guy on the hill in the upper left of the photo. 

That was a running gag of theirs.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Where's the guy who always had his back turned to the camera because he's supposed to be taking a leak?

Two more Dick Griffin dates:

-The Eight Wonder- : Dick Griffin Septet : Dick Griffin (tb) Sam Rivers (ts,sop,fl) Ron Burton (p) Warren
Smith (vib,perc) Cecil McBee (b) Freddie Waits (d) Leopoldo F. Fleming (cga,bells,perc)
New York, early 1974
Eight wonder                           Strata-East SES-1974/7
It could be                                   -
Girl, I really love you so               -
Jakubu's dance                          -
Flying back home                       -
Come be with me                       -
Note : Entire session also on Sugar Hill SH261 and Strata-East (Jap)JC7508.

-Now is the time- : Dick Griffin (tb) Clifford Jordan (ts) Bill Saxton (ts,sop) Don Smith (fl,p) Hubert
Eaves (p) Calvin Hill (b) Billy Hart, Freddie Waits (d) Lawrence Killian (perc,cga)
New York, c. 1975
Now is the time              Trident TRS504
Madrid                               -
Multiphonic blues              -
Waltz my son                    -
The queen                        -
Peaceful thinking             -

the only one of those I have is the Strata-East though I have seen the other two online (not in person). The Strata-East is great.

There's an incredible oral history of Mr. Griffin in the third volume of William Parker's Conversations book on RogueArt. I transcribed the interviews and it was quite an intense process! He has led a fascinating life.

I found the Trident LP somewhere (certainly not a collector-ish place) back in the day and snapped it up on the strength of the Strat-East. It too is quite tasty.

The Ruby LP was released on CD along with a few cuts from the Trident on a Ruby CD. I thought I had it, but it's misfiled if I do.

Dick Griffin is not the greatest trombonist ever, but he always made really good records, when he did. My kind of musician, always true.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dick Griffin is not the greatest trombonist ever, but he always made really good records, when he did. My kind of musician, always true.

yep, I agree with this assessment.

the same volume of Conversations also has a fascinating interview with Bill Lowe, who I didn't realize lived in London and played with the South African contingent at the end of the '60s. 

81cZ9ybG0wL._SS500_.jpg

If you care, this is a stereo version of

ab67616d0000b27371bccba528c888e9a27c633b

The stereo version sounds great, but omits "Casey Stew" and shortens "King Porter Stomp" by about 2 minutes. These edits undoubtedly were made to allow for the wider stereo grooves. I have made a cdr to include all the material.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
Expansion