What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

17 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

81cZ9ybG0wL._SS500_.jpg

If you care, this is a stereo version of

ab67616d0000b27371bccba528c888e9a27c633b

The stereo version sounds great, but omits "Casey Stew" and shortens "King Porter Stomp" by about 2 minutes. These edits undoubtedly were made to allow for the wider stereo grooves. I have made a cdr to include all the material.

Have the Fresh Sound reissue on vinyl. Didn't know about the missing 2 minutes on vinyl. There are no track durations listed on the Item.

Thanks for the Info.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cedar Walton - SPECTRUM, Prestige PRST-7591, 1968. A very enjoyable Blue Note-influenced hard bop. I believe this is his first album under his name. I wonder why Walton never received Blue Note bona fides for the leader session. It's just that it may have been too late for him, because Lyon and Wolff were selling the company. I like the cover; the hand of Reid Miles was leading Don Schlitten's.

ZWc.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Cedar Walton - SPECTRUM, Prestige PRST-7591, 1968. A very enjoyable Blue Note-influenced hard bop. I believe this is his first album under his name. I wonder why Walton never received Blue Note bona fides for the leader session. It's just that it may have been too late for him, because Lyon and Wolff were selling the company. I like the cover; the hand of Reid Miles was leading Don Schlitten's.

ZWc.jpeg

Yes, this is a fine album. He had almost ten years s a sideman behind him at this point. I am trying to imagine how it would have sounded if it had been recorded at the RvG studio. 

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Yes, this is a fine album. He had almost ten years s a sideman behind him at this point. I am trying to imagine how it would have sounded if it had been recorded at the RvG studio. 

While listening, I remarked to myself that it sounded similar to RVG. Maybe it was the material itself that led me to believe that, because it's very BN-like, with similar dynamics and drive, as if it were produced by Alfred Lyon. The album is on the shorter side, even by the Prestige standards, clocking at under 35 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if more tracks were recorded, but not released. 

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

This predates it slightly (1967):

ZWc.jpeg

You sir, are correct!

What a stupid cover, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

"Cedar" means a kind of wood --->  example: Lebanonzeder tree.

So the cover art  combines his name with the  kind of wood. IMO not stupid

;-]]

I know what cedar is. That's why I think it's a stupid cover, and a lazy design.

Do you think a sheet of plywood is sufficient to reflect on what's inside this record sleeve? I'd imagine working with something like these -

77e3798bb9782084333898c5f75d9aab_M.jpg

cedars1-425x350.png

1282202105.jpg

6 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I know what cedar is. That's why I think it's a stupid cover, and a lazy design.

Do you think a sheet of plywood is sufficient to reflect on what's inside this record sleeve? I'd imagine working with something like these -

Well tastes are different and I have seen the connection immediately.  Coverart is always a part of the production costs. Some labels invest more and some not. I have seen here worse examples without any connection to the music inside.

My favorite is David Stone Martin

Now on the turntable

42954917pk.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

52 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well tastes are different and I have seen the connection immediately.  Coverart is always a part of the production costs. Some labels invest more and some not. I have seen here worse examples without any connection to the music inside.

The Cedar! cover is amusing and it's a good record.

On 02/02/2022 at 11:29 PM, sidewinder said:

wayne-shorter-the-soothsayer-cv-1920-ljc

:tup

9 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51s+hXty+WL._SX355_.jpg

Horace Silver - The Jody Grind

got this as a filler in an order to take up space I guess. Its an original mono copy, assuming since they threw it in its not too valuable, but it is a Horace I don't have and after a spin on the record doctor it sound pretty darn good!

:tup

14 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51s+hXty+WL._SX355_.jpg

got this as a filler in an order to take up space I guess. Its an original mono copy, assuming since they threw it in its not too valuable, but it is a Horace I don't have and after a spin on the record doctor it sound pretty darn good!

I knew the tunes only because once a sax player wanted to play it, he had sheets for Jody Grind, Nutville and Peace (which a knew anyway) . But I didn´t have the album. I´m no completist, but is it possible that this one was not reissued on that RVG series ? 

16 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

51s+hXty+WL._SX355_.jpg

That's the best way to have this album as reportedly all digital versions are from a needle drop. :tup

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

but is it possible that this one was not reissued on that RVG series ?

Correct, no RVG for this one (that I know of).