What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I struggle with avant warbling, but enjoy Lee much more than Maggie Nichols or Patty Waters (despite a long and personal relationship with Sings). It's an X factor thing: Lee is just much warmer and has less of the proto-arts institution feel that I think Mrs R is picking up on.

I had to laugh when you mention warbling under a cover photo of "Black Fire".

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Soulfulness Lee has mountains of. A lovely late summer night feel too, which is definitely not what what I associate with the area.

Tippetts I like a lot. Who is Uschi Bruning? I don't know his/her work at all.

Bruning I only know from the three FMP albums she appears on with Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3131309-Uschi-Br%C3%BCning-Ernst-Ludwig-Petrowsky

Stepping back for a moment and making a general observation:  I'm glad this forum exists. 

It's such a great place, with so much collective knowledge and wide-ranging interests.  Every nook and cranny of jazz -- and then some! 

Can't help but learn a TON just by hanging out.

O.K.  Carry on.  :) 

17 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Stepping back for a moment and making a general observation:  I'm glad this forum exists. 

It's such a great place, with so much collective knowledge and wide-ranging interests.  Every nook and cranny of jazz -- and then some! 

Absolutely HutchFan, couldn't agree more

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

How does anybody not like at least one Jeanne Lee record?

The Viennese bicentennial thing is lost on me... what's that all about?

It’s a big European art festival. Well regarded and serious. Really more about the Art than the buyers or tourists. It has lots of performance art and multimedia.

I assume my wife meant that it sounds like a recording of a performance art piece, which I guess it does, particularly the bits with the high pitched squeals and the nervous vocal chattering. Obviously Lee preceded the codification and institutionalisation of that style and has a lot more to offer than just that.

I think that the comment was meant in the spirit of gentle fun. Like I said, I was allowed to listen to the second side too.

50 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Ditto.

Weird things happen on here. Small discussions or posts have a tendency to completely flip my listening habits or open up new areas that I generally hadn’t thought about exploring (most recently, I’ve spent a fortnight listening almost solely to swing music - no way I could have foreseen that).

Edited by Rabshakeh

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

71vh8Y9NxwL._SX522_.jpg

charlie-parker-yardbird-in-lotus-land-20

Seems to be a Spotlite Sunday.

oh yes, this was beautiful times for bop freaks. Yardbird in Lotusland is most of the first CD of the new "Bird in LA". 
My favourites from "Spotlite" are the Howard McGhee Machito "Afro Cubop" and the Billy Eckstine. But there were very much: Bird in Sweden (a 2 LP set), Bird in Paris, "Apartment Sessions" "Early Bird" etc.....

Jim Hall - Concierto (CTI, 1975)

F2FCFA55-BB0D-4EAD-B980-7EE4C10E83DD.jpeg

First listen to a new acquisition. I’m actually very disappointed with this on vinyl. It sounds like the tracks are playing out of time. This is not something I ever encountered with the digital versions. Is that a known issue with CTI?

Even aside from that, it lacks the close mystery of the CD master, and Ron Carter’s horribly recorded bass is much more prominent.

R-11037394-1508700540-3099.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

First listen to a new acquisition. I’m actually very disappointed with this on vinyl. It sounds like the tracks are playing out of time. This is not something I ever encountered with the digital versions. Is that a known issue with CTI?

That's strange.  I have plenty of CTI LPs, and I don't recall any issues like that.  (However, I don't have that particular LP on vinyl.)

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Even aside from that, it lacks the close mystery of the CD master, and Ron Carter’s horribly recorded bass is much more prominent.

Bummer. :( 

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

F2FCFA55-BB0D-4EAD-B980-7EE4C10E83DD.jpeg

I bought that LP when it first came out...don't know what you mean about the tracks "playing out of time"?

As for Ron Carter, that was how they did it then. CTI records were often used in stereo stores as demo records, in no small part due to that Ron Carter sound. People don't like it so much these days, but back in the day, it was money.