• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Ni05NjAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

NYC stereo

I´m not sure now but I think I heard an excerpt of one tune of it (Timmon´s Dat There I think) on a commercial. 

Love that record. 

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Sublime !!!

I love this Hutcherson album very much. He was such a flexible musician, from mainstream to avantgarde, and the occasion when I saw him together with Jackie McLean AND Billy Higgins was one of the greatest concerts I remember....

On 11.4.2022 at 6:14 PM, mjazzg said:

Yes, a great album, a favourite of mine. Terrific compositions and playing by everyone

now onto another very fine Polish album

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Andrzej Trzaskowski Quintet - Polish Jazz vol.4 {Polskie Nagrana Muza, USSR 1965]

Well unknown to me. The story about my vinyls from the eastern european countries is as follows: During the times of the "Iron Curtain" I did  send to  some jazzfans  from East Germany (DDR), Poland and Russia my used "western vinyls" when I got a new japanese or spanish edition.

They did send me then what was available overthere (not always to my  personal taste) but during the time I have also some good ones pref. the eastern big band. Poland had always a very modern oriented jazz scene then.

12 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup Music for Lighthouse Keeping

:tup Blakey: The Big Beat

Two good albums here too!

6 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well unknown to me. The story about my vinyls from the eastern european countries is as follows: During the times of the "Iron Curtain" I did  send to  some jazzfans  from East Germany (DDR), Poland and Russia my used "western vinyls" when I got a new japanese or spanish edition.

They did send me then what was available overthere (not always to my  personal taste) but during the time I have also some good ones pref. the eastern big band. Poland had always a very modern oriented jazz scene then.

Two good albums here too!

In the 60s I saw the Polish Modern Jazz Quartet (alt, pno, bs, dms) in a Leeds club. The usual jazz audience was swelled by a number of students from the very left-leaning Leeds University of the day, who were clearly there for the politics, not the music. When a number was announced "by the American pianist, Bill Evans", the group was booed! More palatable was listening to a "conversation" at the keyboard between the pianist and my late piano-playing friend Paul Woodrow in which the only shared vocabulary was the names "Wynton Kelly" and "McCoy Tyner". International co-operation at its best with jazz as the key!

4 hours ago, BillF said:

In the 60s I saw the Polish Modern Jazz Quartet (alt, pno, bs, dms) in a Leeds club. The usual jazz audience was swelled by a number of students from the very left-leaning Leeds University of the day, who were clearly there for the politics, not the music. When a number was announced "by the American pianist, Bill Evans", the group was booed! More palatable was listening to a "conversation" at the keyboard between the pianist and my late piano-playing friend Paul Woodrow in which the only shared vocabulary was the names "Wynton Kelly" and "McCoy Tyner". International co-operation at its best with jazz as the key!

:tup:D

Probably at that time Bill Evans was  somewhat of a rising star and not the creative superstar he is today in the eyes of the fans  even after his death. Have some nice  "live" vinyls with Getz & Woody Herman appearing on festivals in Poland.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

No, it was the mention of the word "American" that caused jeers from the Leeds Marxists. :( How out of touch can you get in a jazz audience!

I would be interested to know how much of the suddenly explosion in more original sounding European and Japanese jazz in the late 60s and 70s was spurred by precisely this, somewhat ridiculous in retrospect, rejection of Jazz's American origin.

Teruto Soejima's book on Japanese jazz obliquely references the importance of the student protests against the US-Japan Security Treaty as being part of the formation of the Japanese free jazz scene. I wonder whether this went for other forms of jazz too, like parts of the British jazz scene's turn to pastoralist and (British) literary themes.

4 hours ago, BillF said:

No, it was the mention of the word "American" that caused jeers from the Leeds Marxists. :( How out of touch can you get in a jazz audience!

Ahh yes that sounds familiar to me.

Germany had also that "left" direction among the students  combined with the antinuclear  position of the younger generation. Can't say whether they liked jazz or not.

Here are 2 more  of my "eastern" vinyls

a) from Hungary. An excellent pianist and his group s--- Janos Gondar

b) from Poland Z. Namyslowsko Quintet

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43503603wj.jpg

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43503601qq.jpg

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Ahh yes that sounds familiar to me.

Germany had also that "left" direction among the students  combined with the antinuclear  position of the younger generation. Can't say whether they liked jazz or not.

b) from Poland Z. Namyslowsko Quintet

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43503601qq.jpg

Ah yes, it was the Namyslowski quartet that I saw.

As for those students' politics, at least they got it right on South Africa. One morning two hundred students crossed the road to Barclay's bank and closed their accounts because of Barclays' co-operation with the apartheid regime! :tup

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Ah yes, it was the Namyslowski quartet that I saw.

As for those students' politics, at least they got it right on South Africa. One morning two hundred students crossed the road to Barclay's bank and closed their accounts because of Barclays' co-operation with the apartheid regime! :tup

We were still protesting against Barclays in SA when I was a student in early 80s

20 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now on my 'table:

OS03MDEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Carmen McRae & the Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band - November Girl (Jazz Man, rec. 1970)
Originally released on Black Lion in 1975

Oh yeah.  Sassy, swaggering stuff.  It's really walloping me tonight.  

Don’t think I’ve seen that sleeve version before. The only versions I know are the Black Lion and the Rearward.

11 hours ago, BillF said:

Over here, Italy, only the most radical left wing musicians were welcomed then. I mean I remember a "proletarian trial" that a left wing audience settled up against an italian forlk singer in a concert. Guess it was one of the reasons I still have some problems listening to some of the avant-garde european artists, their dogmatic attitude.

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Don’t think I’ve seen that sleeve version before. The only versions I know are the Black Lion and the Rearward.

Per Discogs, Jazz Man was a short-lived American jazz label -- with less than 50 releases -- from the early 1980s.  Looks like they were solely a licensing operation, reissuing LPs from Candid, Black Lion, Black & Blue, and other labels.

So it's no surprise that you've not noticed them before.  Not much to notice! ;)