• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Brad said:

The new vinyl version from VMP. 

FA9114EA-F659-40C5-AB2E-2B09FC3FA114.jpeg

I don´t have it, but is this the album on which is the first version of "Con Alma". The strange thing is, that I always heard Dizzy playing it live and play it myself very often with the best trumpet players over here, but never really new when it was composed. It´s usually in bop sets along with other Dizzy originals, but I didn´t find it on my original 1940´s collections like the RCA Years or the Guild and Spotlite sessions.....

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t have it, but is this the album on which is the first version of "Con Alma". The strange thing is, that I always heard Dizzy playing it live and play it myself very often with the best trumpet players over here, but never really new when it was composed. It´s usually in bop sets along with other Dizzy originals, but I didn´t find it on my original 1940´s collections like the RCA Years or the Guild and Spotlite sessions.....

Yes, this is its first appearance. I have the Verve LPR CD that was issued about 20 years but decided to get the vinyl version as well. 

11 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Same music

44386046fm.jpg

Manteca as a title sounds good to me. I love the RCA version with Chano Pozo, I think I also have it on a Pasadena Concert from the late 40´s . 
I used to play it and love how you can build it up from starting with the drums, then the ostinato bass figure, the riffs and at last the line with it´s wonderful bridge. I have some gigs in good places settled for next year and it should include Manteca, Con Alma, Tin Tin Deo as so called "Latin tunes" . A few years ago I was a bit annoyd by a bass player who kinda "slept" and instead of shuttin´ up when the drum solo starts, he kept sticking to the ostinato bass figure while the drum solo started. I had told ´em to fade out and let start the drummer very soft and then building up his solo to a climax , a thing that doesn´t work if you cover it all with that bass figure....., but I got really good musicians for the future. 

Is this Dizzy Orchestra something later than his original orchestra ? I know that after he had to disband since it became too expensive, he only occasionally re-formed a big band. I saw one in 1987 (70´s Birthday) which was quite an allstar thing with Arthuro Sandoval, Sam Rivers and others, 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Manteca as a title sounds good to me. I love the RCA version with Chano Pozo, I think I also have it on a Pasadena Concert from the late 40´s . 
I used to play it and love how you can build it up from starting with the drums, then the ostinato bass figure, the riffs and at last the line with it´s wonderful bridge. I have some gigs in good places settled for next year and it should include Manteca, Con Alma, Tin Tin Deo as so called "Latin tunes" . A few years ago I was a bit annoyd by a bass player who kinda "slept" and instead of shuttin´ up when the drum solo starts, he kept sticking to the ostinato bass figure while the drum solo started. I had told ´em to fade out and let start the drummer very soft and then building up his solo to a climax , a thing that doesn´t work if you cover it all with that bass figure....., but I got really good musicians for the future. 

Is this Dizzy Orchestra something later than his original orchestra ? I know that after he had to disband since it became too expensive, he only occasionally re-formed a big band. I saw one in 1987 (70´s Birthday) which was quite an allstar thing with Arthuro Sandoval, Sam Rivers and others, 

Dizzy Gillespie
Manteca: Dizzy Gillespie And His Orchestra:

Dizzy Gillespie, Quincy Jones, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Nottingham (tp) Leon Comegys, J.J. Johnson, George Matthews (tb) Hilton Jefferson, George Dorsey (as) Hank Mobley, Lucky Thompson (ts) Danny Bank (bar) Wade Legge (p) (jazz parts), Ray Concepcion (p) (Afro parts), Lou Hackney, Bobby Rodriguez (b) Charlie Persip (d) Candido Camero, Mongo Santamaria (cga) Jose Mangual (bgo) Ubaldo Nieto (timb) Chico O'Farrill (arr)
New York, May 24, 1954
1711-4    Manteca (theme)    Verve MGV8208, VE2-2522, (Jap)POJJ-1517, Verve
        314-521737-2 [CD]
1712-4    Contraste    Verve MGV8208, VE2-2522, (Jap)POJJ-1517
1713-4    Jungle         -         -         -
1714-4    Rhumba-finale         -         -         -
1715-2    6/8 (*)    Norgran MGN1003, Classics (F)1424 [CD]
Note: All above titles also on Not Now Music (E)NOT2CD316 [CD] titled "Gettin' Dizzy"; a 2 CD set.
All above titles also on Verve (Jap)POCJ-2772 [CD] titled "Manteca"; see June 3, 1954 for rest of CD.
All above titles also on Norgran MGN1003, Verve MGV8191, 2610047, Verve 314-517052-2 [CD], Classics (F)1424 [CD].

@jazzcorner: That´s really some good personnel with the early Quincy Jones, J.J. Johnson, Hank Mobley AND Lucky Thompson, Candido Camero. But I fear it was only for studio date. 

My discography of Diz in the 50´s is very very limited, when I listened to learn it was mostly his 40´s stuff, to learn his compositions and how to phrase.  After all the RCA´s and Savoy or what it was, my only entries of Diz from the next decade was the 1951 Birdland Allstars with Bird and Bud, and the Massey Hall Concert. People told me that those "DeeGee Years" was more fun music, and the Verve was under the firm guide of Norman Granz, who mostly did jams with different other stars from earlier generations. So, from the point of view of a record collector my knowledge of what and when he recorded, is quite poor and only comes to light from the 70´s when I saw him life so often until shortly before his death....

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

@jazzcorner: That´s really some good personnel with the early Quincy Jones, J.J. Johnson, Hank Mobley AND Lucky Thompson, Candido Camero. But I fear it was only for studio date. 

My discography of Diz in the 50´s is very very limited, when I listened to learn it was mostly his 40´s stuff, to learn his compositions and how to phrase.  After all the RCA´s and Savoy or what it was, my only entries of Diz from the next decade was the 1951 Birdland Allstars with Bird and Bud, and the Massey Hall Concert. People told me that those "DeeGee Years" was more fun music, and the Verve was under the firm guide of Norman Granz, who mostly did jams with different other stars from earlier generations. So, from the point of view of a record collector my knowledge of what and when he recorded, is quite poor and only comes to light from the 70´s when I saw him life so often until shortly before his death....

When I started collecting jazz I did concentrate the first years more on big bands so I have also some Dizzy big bands together. If you are interested a bit more I can list them FYI or select the earlier ones. On the one Newport live album he has a terrific and humourful presentation for the bariton sax in the band. Its really a highlight and typical Gillespie.  Also his singing  on one more track is great. You should not miss it.

Capitol [Japan] ECJ-50070 - Art Pepper - " Those Kenton Days" [compilation]- rec. 1953 to 1951

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

14392.jpgone of my very first mono buys........ wanted to test a new pair of Fluance speakers to see if my current system was strengthened.  not too much in this example (mono circa 1960).  seems like a red flag to replace the LP with a newer remastered version. this is a win/win for a badass recording by one of my all-time heroes and for a the new "treble-reference" sound i was anguishing to find recently (are other speakers AR-ish post).  thanks to all who contributed their advice. 

OS03NjYzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Bill Perkins - Peaceful Moments

that music room looks really cool - and after moving to Amsterdam a few weeks ago, it's even kind of in the neighborhood ;) can't compete w that room but the possibilities for record shopping after work are a definite plus, listening to one of the results from earlier today... (also brought home some Belgian craft beer with me actually, but that's gone already, records stay... Noblesse by Dochter van de Korenaar in the Belgian part of Baarle)

1 hour ago, BillF said:

A forgotten man! Someone I used to see at Ronnie Scott's in bygone days.

Wow, very jealous. His flute playing strikes me as much more individual than his alto and tenor work. Interesting that on his Island LP, Affectionate Fink, he is ‘MacNair’ but as Alan Branscombe is ‘Bronscombe’, I suspect this is sloppiness on the part of the record label.

Chris Peers, the producer of Affectionate Fink told me via email that that Chris Blackwell stopped him producing any more jazz releases after the poor sales of The LP ( and that they all made such a shed load of cash from Millie Small’s ‘My boy lollipop’ that they didn’t think again about this decision). Hope Millie did OK too. 

Anthony

London