Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You Get More Bounce with Curtis Counce

Recently listened to my vinyl of this fine session called Counceltation. In 1972 Lester Koenig repressed the lp with a new title and cover - great color shot of Curtis on the street outside the Contemporary offices. I wish they'd reissue a 24 bit of this date with the politically correct (and better) cover.

Concord could do worse than a set of the Counce Contemporaries.

I think someone was listening to you. But is this a Concord release?

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=tcb...ef=upcoming.php

I can't find the Counceltation cover with Curtis anywhere on the net. Can someone post it, or link to it?

I am certainly enjoying the Counce Contemporaries.

Chickened out - playing it tonight, not first thing in the morning :)

Screaming Jay Hawkins - I hear voices (45)

MG

I don't know, MG. I think I'd rather listen to Screaming Jay during the daylight hours. The combination of Screaming Jay and darkness might be too much for me.

The combination of Screaming Jay anywhere within audible reach of my wife would be too much for me! So after she's gone to sleep is best.

MG

Pee Wee Russell, the Time/Life Masters of Jazz box.

How is this boxed set in terms of both selection and sound quality?

A local store has this one, and several others priced at $8. All in great shape. They also have Ben Webster. I can't think of the others right now...

Don't think I've got any Pee Wee...would this be a good introduction? :blush:

Edit: I remembered and just found the thread about these boxed sets. Seems they're worth the bucks. Not that $8 is that much. I scanned through the booklets and they seem to be cross-licensed. :tup

You have no Pee Wee??? I have tons and never tire of them. I don't have the Jazz Giants box, but I know where I can get it. This weekend, if I can make it downtown.

I am amazed at how many boxed collections were released in the late fifties, early sixties by mail-order. And, they were relatively inexpensive. But, the best part is that when I find them now, many of them are as close to mint as I've seen any records. It seems as if people bought them because they were seduced by the great prices, but once they had them, didn't play them, or played them very seldom. Sometimes one of the records has been played, judging by the slightly more wear on the paper sleeve.

So, I guess that some people bought the sets for just part of the track list.

Jazz Giants are a relatively low-cost, good introduction to the featured artist, if you're not familiar with their work, I think, before committing yourself to individual records.

Hi Patricia,

I only just now found your reply. I'd say that's a good enough recommendation for me.

I'm sure my wife will be thrilled... :ph34r:;)

Thanks. :)

Roosevelt Wardell Trio 'The Revelation' (Riverside, stereo)

with Sam Jones and Louis Hayes. From the 'Cannonball Adderley Presents' series.

Notes by Chris Albertson.

I used to have that. Flogged when I was on the dole. Never seen it since. That's one I'd like to see Concord reissue.

MG

Curtis Fuller 'Two Bones' (BN/King Japan)

with Slide Hampton, Sonny Clark, George Tucker, Al Harewood.

:tup One of my favorites, brownie. I hope that BN will get around to putting it on CD so that's available for all.

A smoking session that one! What a shame it's not been reissued (apart from the Mosaic Fuller).

I got my new turntable platter mat today, so I've spent the evening spinning LPs:

Paul Bley - Copenhagen and Haarlem twofer (Arista Freedom)

Cal Tjader - Return Engagement twofer (Verve)

The Best of Horace Silver, Vol. 1 (Blue Note)

Herbie Mann and Bobby Jaspar - Flute Souffle (Status/Prestige)

The Four Freshmen - and Five Trumpets (Pausa/Capitol)

The Thelonious Monk Story twofer (Riverside)

The John Graas Nonet - Jazzmantics (Decca) [great West Coast jazz!]