• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pee Wee Russell, the Time/Life Masters of Jazz box.

How is this boxed set in terms of both selection and sound quality?

A local store has this one, and several others priced at $8. All in great shape. They also have Ben Webster. I can't think of the others right now...

Don't think I've got any Pee Wee...would this be a good introduction? :blush:

Edit: I remembered and just found the thread about these boxed sets. Seems they're worth the bucks. Not that $8 is that much. I scanned through the booklets and they seem to be cross-licensed. :tup

You have no Pee Wee??? I have tons and never tire of them. I don't have the Jazz Giants box, but I know where I can get it. This weekend, if I can make it downtown.

I am amazed at how many boxed collections were released in the late fifties, early sixties by mail-order. And, they were relatively inexpensive. But, the best part is that when I find them now, many of them are as close to mint as I've seen any records. It seems as if people bought them because they were seduced by the great prices, but once they had them, didn't play them, or played them very seldom. Sometimes one of the records has been played, judging by the slightly more wear on the paper sleeve.

So, I guess that some people bought the sets for just part of the track list.

Jazz Giants are a relatively low-cost, good introduction to the featured artist, if you're not familiar with their work, I think, before committing yourself to individual records.

Hi Patricia,

I only just now found your reply. I'd say that's a good enough recommendation for me.

I'm sure my wife will be thrilled... :ph34r:;)

Thanks. :)

Well, I went back and picked up the Pee Wee set. And the Ben Webster. And the Art Tatum. And the Bix Beiderbecke.

Hey, this music is all really old...

One of the early tracks on the Bix set was really well recorded. You can hear the bass just perfectly.

Man, this is all new to me... :huh:

Edited by Parkertown

Over the weekend I pulled out:

Passport - self-titled (Reprise) (first US LP, a compilation of the first two albums of the band)

Dreams - self-titled (Columbia) (to my knowledge the first recordings of Randy and Michael Brecker)

Game - self-titled (Evolution) (a jazz-rock band from 1971)

George Wallington - Jazz for the Carriage Trade (Prestige) (actually Disc 2 of the twofer Our Delight)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Columbia)

Tonight -

Horace Silver - 6 Pieces of Silver; New York, USA mono sounds pretty decent. I forgot what a soulful ballad pianist Silver was.

Tina Brooks - Lp #4 of the Mosaic set, which is "The Waiting Game" album first released in Japan in the 1980s. With Johnny Coles, Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware and Philly Joe Jones. I wish that band just kept on going. They were as good as anybody else playing hard bop at the time!