Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far this morning:

• Donald Byrd - Free Form - Mono, no ear; 2nd pressing? -courtesy of Slide/Advantage/Redoux - Thanks!

No ! This one was issued originally without ear (later that its cat. number indicate !)

Booker Ervin - The Trance - Blue label - orig? - :tup :tup

I believe so.

Sweet. Thanks guys. :tup:w

Just finished:

• Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child - 4 Lp boxed set by Classic Records on 140 gram red vinyl. 2 Lps studio; 2 Lps live. :cool:

Now spinnin'

• John Coltrane - Crescent - Abc/Impulse - Stereo - courtesy of slide/advantage/redoux :tup

Does anyone remember the film which Robert Stigwood did, I think, as a follow-up to his huge success with Saturday Night Fever?

It was Bugsy Malone, a gangster flick, with an all-child cast. The machine guns shot whipped cream. The only two I recognized were a very young Scott Baio and an equally young Jodie Foster. But, the entire cast was amazingly good.

Well, I was routing around at a second-hand store and found the soundtrack. It was by Paul Williams and the film was directed by Alan Parker, who went on to do "Angel Heart", another out-of-the-mainstream project, which is one of my favourites.

In any case, all the music and lyrics for Bugsy Malone were original compositions and were based on the typical music of the period in which the film was set.

The liner notes were written by Alan Parker and were an explanation of just why he would take on such an unusual project.

This is a really interesting album. Not quite authentic jazz-age music, but it does have the right feeling. Many of the scenes are set in a speakeasy called Fat Sam's Grand Slam.

My oldest daughter, who is now twenty-seven, loved this as film as a kid, as did her younger sister. They still remember much of the music.

Fifty cents well-invested. :cool:

Fifty cents! That's even less than I paid for Baba Maal's "Nomad soul".

I was rooting around the back of a record shop in Senegal and the proprietor came back brandishing this album. "You must buy this! It was specially made for white people!"

"Oh no, I don't want anything like that," I said.

He kept insisting; I kept insisting. He kept lowering the price and eventually I bought it for about 30p.

It's fuckin' awful!

MG

Always keep in mind my late mother's philosophy for bargain-finding.

She said that if you want something enough, any amount is the right price.

If you don't place any personal value on something, if you pay anything at all for it, it's too much.

The Bugsy Malone album is actually quite charming and, if you saw the film and enjoyed it, brings it back to you.

I have tons of records that are a pleasure to listen to, for various reasons. But this one has sentimental value.

But, you're right, even something you get for practically nothing, if you don't want it, wastes your storage space and you should get rid of it at the first opportunity. :blink:

Edited by patricia

After getting the Haruna Ishola CD yesterday, I dug out of my LP shelves

Akanni Animashaun and his Apala Group - Akanni de alawiye orin - Shanachie (probably licensed from Nigerian firm)

and, because my hand was in the right area,

Fela Kuti - Gentleman - Creole orig UK issue

Hugh Masekela - Home is where the music is - Blue Thumb orig UK issue in the impossibly ridiculous packaging.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg