• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[*]John Coltrane - Crescent - Abc/Impulse - Stereo - courtesy of slide/advantage/redoux :tup

I've been listening to the shit out of that one lately. Historically liked the "blue" one the best of the pre-free Impulses, but this one is far eclipsing it. Perhaps because this girl I'm dating has her own copy on frequent rotation... :)

Johnny Jones - He walks with me he talks to me - Creed orig

Dixie Hummingbirds - A Christian testimonial - Peacock MCA pressing

Jackson Southernaires - Too late - Songbird green label orig

Inez Andrews - The needof prayer - Vogue French edition

Rev W Leo Daniels - It's coming up again (sermon) - Peacock ABC pressing

MG

lou levy - hymn - philips mono japan pressing

Lou levy : one of the most underrated pianist . Do you have "jazz in four colors" ? beautiful record....

... not yet but will keepy my eyes on that one, thanks

spinning right now:

milt jackson - the jazz skyline - org savoy us pressing

bennie green - s/t - on time records

[*]John Coltrane - Crescent - Abc/Impulse - Stereo - courtesy of slide/advantage/redoux :tup

I've been listening to the shit out of that one lately. Historically liked the "blue" one the best of the pre-free Impulses, but this one is far eclipsing it. Perhaps because this girl I'm dating has her own copy on frequent rotation... :)

The Blue (A-21) is my favourite Cotrane ! the blue (A-21) is the beginning of the journey, its an essential coltrane recording IMO ! And Crescent IS also...But the Blue, the blue...the Blue is my favourite... I'm sure the girl has also the Blue (A-21). :)

Jazz In Transition - Transition label

Donald Byrd

Art Blakey --------------Paul Chambers

Horace Silver-----------Philly Joe Jones

Doug Watkins-----------John Coltrane

Joe Gordon--------------Pepper Adams

Dave Coleman----------Curtis Fuller

Dick Wetmore-----------Jay Migliori

Herb Pomeroy-----------Tommy Ball

Sun Ra-------------------Cecil Taylor

A couple of hisses at the beginning of Side A. Otherwise the sound is perfect. The cover is totally ratched, held together by electricians' tape. :cool:

The back of the cover is gone down to the rough paper, so there is no tracklist. But the booklet [complete with a coffee-cup ring] was included. It contains terrific photographs of the artists involved, as well as writeups on all the tracks. I love this.

Edited by patricia

Jazz In Transition - Transition label

Donald Byrd

Art Blakey --------------Paul Chambers

Horace Silver-----------Philly Joe Jones

Doug Watkins-----------John Coltrane

Joe Gordon--------------Pepper Adams

Dave Coleman----------Curtis Fuller

Dick Wetmore-----------Jay Migliori

Herb Pomeroy-----------Tommy Ball

Sun Ra-------------------Cecil Taylor

A couple of hisses at the beginning of Side A. Otherwise the sound is perfect. The cover is totally ratched, held together by electricians' tape. :cool:

The back of the cover is gone down to the rough paper, so there is no tracklist. But the booklet [complete with a coffee-cup ring] was included. It contains terrific photographs of the artists involved, as well as writeups on all the tracks. I love this.

Almost every single Transition I have come across over the years has seam splits an half of them had the top and bottom seam COMPLETELY split!! And at least 1/3 of them are missing one or both labels!

The only one I've had that had a traditional back cover is TRLP-1 "Jazz in a Stable." All of the others have plain backs with all the info and pics in a booklet (you're lucky to have it--half of the Transitions you come across are missing the booklet).

Transitions were pressed on styrene. If there were taken care of they can sound great--most weren't. Very brittle and they didn't stand up to abuse like a Blue Note!

Alan I'm amazed at how rich the sound is on this album. There are NO scratches on either side. The nuances are all there.

The front of the cover is fine, only because whoever had this used clear tape over the entire front, with the electricians' tape firming up the edges.

Thank goodness the booklet was there. That's where the tracklist was.

Funny, kind of embarrassing thing.

I had this record for several months before I noticed that the booklet was tucked into the cover. :blush:

Edited by patricia

Sonny Fortune 'Long Before Our Mothers Cried' (Strata-East)

How is that? I saw PJC has/had a copy.

My favorite Sonny Fortune. Smashing session, plus there is Charles Sullivan on trumpet, one of my top underrated musician!

Now spinning:

Dave Burrell 'Round Midnight' (Denon) :tup