• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading this thread reminds me of all the titles I do not have, but want.

Sometimes I think about all the LPs I DO have (not to mention CDs), and get that sinking feeling, "So many records, so little time!" :( OK, that doesn't keep me from going out for more, or lusting for some of the great BNs, but sometimes I feel a need to consolidate what I have and NOT think about what I don't have. Here's some more of what I have ;) :

f0_2.JPG

Bethlehem BCP 6007. The LP has fine liner notes by our own Chris Albertson, then (ca. 1976) a contributing editor at "Stereo Review" (an excellent magazine from what I recall).

Yes, indeed, more Coltrane, from "Heavyweight Champion":

d5957597y1a.jpg

I love "Equinox."

Some Stones:

f62200t7rrr.jpg

Rolling Stones Records COC 79104. Not one of the great Stones albums, but better than you think. "Fool to Cry" is the best known, and best, cut on the album, but there are some other strong cuts: "Melody," "Hand of Fate" (with some wicked Keith Richards grooves), and "Memory Motel," a bluesy ballad. Excellent recording quality.

Been listening to the Sundaze monos of Bob Dylan, which are very nice. The mono version of John Wesley Harding is a huge improvement over the stereo mix, the music is much more focused mono, the stereo mix was just to widespread for me. Also like the early aucoustic monos; still glad I bought the new stereo redbooks though.

Lalo Schifrin- "The Dissection and reconstruction of music from the past as performed by the inmates of Lalo Schifrin's demented ensemble as a tribute to the memory of the Marquis de Sade- Verve V-8654 Gatefold LP. This is "fusion" music-- that is, a combining of 18th century classical and 20th century jazz.

Really interesting liner notes by Schifrin. Schifrin tries to find the sense of improvisation in both forms. Similar to Loussier's Bach, in a way, but Schifrin dismisses Loussier, saying, "the addition of jazz rhythm sections to a Bach fugue have proven in my opinion to be very naive." Schifrin says of his own attempt that it should "be approached with tolerance from both sides since my only ambition was to play a musical game...Fun, sense of humor and a harmless secret perversion are its basic ingredients" ^_^

I recall reading that the CD version is very scarce- is that true? Don't know about the LP's availablity. Anyway, the music is a bit gimmicky, but it grows on you.

g27808wr7xh.jpg

Forgot to note that the album was recorded on April 27 and 28, 1966, at Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

Edited by Leeway

I'm in more of a 'meat and potatoes' mood than Leeway. :D

Shelly Manne: Live At The Manne-hole(Contemporary 2LP Mono)

Blue Mitchell: Down With It! Love the sound of trumpet and sax on this one. Play it loud and if you don't start dancing you are dead or you have a bad back.

Finally got some time this afternoon to spin some vinyl (although not until I had moved some boxes of books and records to the storage locker :rolleyes: ):

First up, some Coltrane:

d13605ci5xu.jpg

Then some Hutcherson, Spiral," one cust ("Jasper") with Sam Rivers:

d8_1_b.JPG

Then some Sam Rivers in his own right, with Dave Holland, Barry Altschul:

9c_1.JPG

Then Cecil Taylor:

bl8%20079_thumb.jpg

Then Mr. Devadip Santana:

f75857kkuu7.jpg

And an album that you can put in the "cool" category:

d7284608gfk.jpg

I recall reading that the CD version is very scarce- is that true? Don't know about the LP's availablity. Anyway, the music is a bit gimmicky, but it grows on you.

g27808wr7xh.jpg

Forgot to note that the album was recorded on April 27 and 28, 1966, at Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.

The Verve Elite of this one has been known to fetch big bucks on ebay but it's variable. I've got the feeling that there's a new CD issue either just coming out or in the pipeline (Japanese?)

According to the sleeve note of the Elite there's at least one place where there's no shortage of the LP gatefolds. Some club in Brazil apparently (visited by Schifrin and much to his shock) had all its walls 'papered' with original sleeves !

Nice little concept album IMO - a pleasant listen that I tend to group along with Ed Thigpen's 'Out of the Storm'.

I recall reading that the CD version is very scarce- is that true?  Don't know about the LP's availablity.  Anyway, the music is a bit gimmicky, but it grows on you. 

g27808wr7xh.jpg

The Verve Elite of this one has been known to fetch big bucks on ebay but it's variable. I've got the feeling that there's a new CD issue either just coming out or in the pipeline (Japanese?)

According to the sleeve note of the Elite there's at least one place where there's no shortage of the LP gatefolds. Some club in Brazil apparently (visited by Schifrin and much to his shock) had all its walls 'papered' with original sleeves !

Nice little concept album IMO - a pleasant listen that I tend to group along with Ed Thigpen's 'Out of the Storm'.

I wonder what kind of club it was? ^_^

Odd that this item has been so collectible. I wonder why? Does it have to do with the De Sade theme? Is that the "harmless little perversion" that Schifrin mentions?

I picked up my vinyl copy for a buck. I enjoyed the album and I expect I will be putting it on the TT from time to time. It's quite clever in the way it melds classical and jazz. I don't expect to use the album for any decorative purposes, or as theme music :D

Just looking at the notes in my Verve Elite booklet Leeway and it says 'Schifrin recalls going to an elegant cafe in Ipanema many years ago and finding all of the walls paperd with Schifrin/Sade album jackets....'

Probably find they are papered over with the Spice Girls now.. ;)

Great little 'cult' item nevertheless. I like the 60s feel (sort of 'sub-Loussier') and the fantastic lineup of session musicians in the band - Jimmy Maxwell, Ernie Royal and Snooky Young just for the trumpets. Pretty well the cream of the crop at the time.

As for latest listening - just got Donald Byrd 'Mustang' NY USA mono on deck, 'Dixie Lee' :tup

Sidewinder:

Great little 'cult' item nevertheless. I like the 60s feel (sort of 'sub-Loussier') and the fantastic lineup of session musicians in the band - Jimmy Maxwell, Ernie Royal and Snooky Young just for the trumpets. Pretty well the cream of the crop at the time.

Agreed on all counts, although Schiffrin gets a little snooty about Loussier in his liner notes. I just picked up a couple of Loussier Bach/Jazz albums and need to give them a spin and compare. Schiffrin did use some superior musicians. BTW. I don't see why one can't paper one's walls with both De Sade and the Spice Girls ^_^ . Certainly, some of thos Spice Girls could do with a spanking B-)

Anyway, just back from a trip, no vinyl for 4 days :(

Listened to:

bluenote3%20062_thumb.jpg

I love Pearson's variety, compositions, and arrangements.

Then the King Japan pressing that combines the following two albums:

blue%20note%20066_thumb.jpg

e38580axdrb.jpg

Also:

blue%20note%20178_thumb_1.jpg

A Blue Note DMM pressing, inferior sonics of a superior performance-- talk about a talented lineup of musicians. :tup

Edited by Leeway

Leeway - there was a documentary on BBC4 TV over here last week telling of Loussier's story and rise to fame in the 1960s, after discovery by UK Decca's Paris offshoot. He's not really my 'cup of tea' but there's no doubting the great musicianship and technique. His current trio sounds superbly rehearsed and beautifully co-ordinated. Great programme.

BBC4 are on a roll at the moment. Last night it was Jane Monheit at the Brecon Festival.

Just giving Dexter Gordon 'Go' a spin. Blue Note BLP 4112. Majesterial ! :tup

Bob Dylan/ The Band "The Basament Tapes", white label promo.

I just got a buch of vinyls from my pusher, mostly Watt at ridicolous price.

I have to admit that I love Carla Bley Band records as much as I hate Steve Swallow records, is he still her husband?

And I found also Pharoah's "Wisdom Through Music", strange stuff, it remembers me some Barbieri's music.

Edited by porcy62

I bought my copy back in 1967 and STILL HAVE IT - freakin' amazing. :lol:

Warner Brothers 1689 Monaural [bTW, on the label it says "Monaural" and on the jacket it says "Monophonic," interchangeable I suppose, but which term is technically correct?]

f60223f9n0i.jpg

And:

f57380g9eqg.jpg

Vol. II. Blue Note, blue label, black "b". The Dead and Ornette; if not similar, certainly birds of a feather. Cetainly, they share a fondness for extraordinary hats ^_^ , and who is to say who is the real "Captain Trips"?

Edited by Leeway

Anthony Williams: Spring Great BN sound on this original.

Fiesta in Hi-Fi.... Mercury Living Presence original from late 50's, early 60's. I think it's laughable and a shame they can't get LP's/CD's to sound as good 40 years later. Call me, dumbfounded. I need some Scotch.....

How are the Speakers Corner reissues?

Edited by wolff