• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Herbie Mann's Nirvana (Atlantic) Red/Purple label. One of the few Mann albums I have time for.

Why not the others?

I might feel different now, but years ago, everything I heard by him was very commercial sounding and not very interesting to me. Yeah, it's jazz snobbery raising its ugly head. Truth is, nowadays, I'm listening to Gabor Szabo, Brazil 66, etc. which are pretty poppy sounding compared to what I used to listen to on a regular basis, so maybe I should give him another chance. Ten years ago, I would have not given Szabor or Mendes the time of day either, so maybe I'm ready for Mann.

What do you recomend and why?

Just Wailin' - w/ Charlie Rouse, Mal Waldron, Kenny Burrell et al., on New Jazz.

The Village Gate records on Atlantic.

Memphis Underground is not bad, actually.

The Savoy always looked really cool to me, though I haven't heard it.

He could definitely "play" and had a penchant for, when he was on, surrounding himself with good players.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Fair enough. Right off the bat, since you like Gabor Szabo, I would recommend you getting ASAP both "Impressions of the Middle East" and "The Wailing Dervishes," both on Atlantic, circa 66-67. They both have a groovy eastern vibe to them that I think you'd love.

Also, the early bossa LPs - one on UA, and the other, "Do the Bossa Nova" are worthwhile.

Generally, though, most of his LPs from the 60s - if not exactly groundbreaking or surprising - feature nice latin grooves and vibe work by Roy Ayers. Considering what these LPs go for (i.e. cheap), they've rarely disappointed me.

Agree that his late 60s and 70s output is on the commercial side of the spectrum.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

'The Roland Kirk Quartet Meets The Benny Golson Orchestra' (UK Mercury, mono)

How is that album? Ever since I found out about that one, I've wanted to hear/buy it. I've never seen it in any format.

Fabulous. Kirk with Golson's orchestra on side 1, just the quartet on side 2 (Harold Mabern on piano). One of Kirk's very best albums IMO and one of the better recorded ones too - and yes, it does seem to be somewhat scarce.

How is that album? Ever since I found out about that one, I've wanted to hear/buy it. I've never seen it in any format.

Fabulous. Kirk with Golson's orchestra on side 1, just the quartet on side 2 (Harold Mabern on piano). One of Kirk's very best albums IMO and one of the better recorded ones too - and yes, it does seem to be somewhat scarce.

I concur that it is very good. I also have the LP. As far as I know, it has only been available on CD in the Kirk Mercury box.

I concur that it is very good. I also have the LP. As far as I know, it has only been available on CD in the Kirk Mercury box.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep my eye out for it. Records have a way of just showing up one day.

Fair enough. Right off the bat, since you like Gabor Szabo, I would recommend you getting ASAP both "Impressions of the Middle East" and "The Wailing Dervishes," both on Atlantic, circa 66-67. They both have a groovy eastern vibe to them that I think you'd love.

Also, the early bossa LPs - one on UA, and the other, "Do the Bossa Nova" are worthwhile.

Generally, though, most of his LPs from the 60s - if not exactly groundbreaking or surprising - feature nice latin grooves and vibe work by Roy Ayers. Considering what these LPs go for (i.e. cheap), they've rarely disappointed me.

Agree that his late 60s and 70s output is on the commercial side of the spectrum.

I had an early Bossa Nova album with him and Joao Gilberto on Atlantic (I think). The album was split between the two of them, though not segregated by sides. I found it pretty lackluster. Neither artist sounded that great on the record. I don't like Push/Push or Memphis Underground either. I can't recall seeing the two mid sixties Atlantic albums you mentioned.

I'll put them on my list. As you say, his records are usually very reasonable, so they aren't big financial gambles.

I had an early Bossa Nova album with him and Joao Gilberto on Atlantic (I think). The album was split between the two of them, though not segregated by sides. I found it pretty lackluster. Neither artist sounded that great on the record. I don't like Push/Push or Memphis Underground either. I can't recall seeing the two mid sixties Atlantic albums you mentioned.

I'll put them on my list. As you say, his records are usually very reasonable, so they aren't big financial gambles.

In the seventies, he had David Newman with him - I started buying Mann LPs because of that, and have a few more now. And more planned.

MG