• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blimey, how true! A quick search of my stacks confirmed both had been pulled to sell at the Atlanta 'Skid Show about 2 years ago. I recall Milt's 'Statements' rang fairly hollow. Given the cats on the Impulse date, it shoulda been more happenin'. Perhaps Milt was just coasting with mallets toward no one.

I'm sure you folks will know what these two albums have in common?

Two things - RVG and nuthin' happnin'. B-)

I know I couldn't get anything past you ^_^:g That was easy.

Did Creed Taylor ruin Montgomery? Or was Montgomery's talents already failing and this was Creed's way of "packaging" Wes for sales?

I like Milt's vibes playing, and the "Statements" album is a whole lot better than Wes's album; admittedly, though, good, not great.

George Lewis Mosaic: (side XII), probably my favorite side of the collection. Features live renditions of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee", "Ice Cream", "Canal Street", and more. If you don't have this set, phone up Scott @ Mosaic, they might have a few more collecting dust. Got mine for $50 (five Lp set). Great stuff.

Reading and spinning records this afternoon:

b4_1.JPG

Joanne Brackeen - "Ancient Dynasty" - Columbia/Tappan Zee.

With Joe Henderson, Eddie Gomez, Jack DeJohnette. Don't think this one made it to CD-- should though. Everyone plays hard on this one.

ca_1.JPG

Weather Report - "I Sing the Body Electric" - Columbia 31352

e78384xhodf.jpg

CTI. Lateef sings and plays the sax. Funkified.

f15398jrk9v.jpg

Columbia 9189

e00824mv003.jpg

Columbia KC 30640

I just pulled these pretty much at random, didn't realize these were all Columbia recordings, except the Lateef.

"Porgy and Bess"  Hank Jones

"Porgy and Bess"  Cleo Laine and Harry Belefonte [amazingly good!]

followed by

"Porgy and Bess"  Miles Davis

"Porgy and Bess"  Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald

Any particular version really stand out for you?

Really hard to choose a favourite, since they are so different from each other. I've always loved Jones' take, but Laine/Belefonte was surprisingly alive and vibrant. Louis and Fitzgerald are brilliant. Miles Davis' version was the very first P&B I had in my collection, so it holds a special place. His is passionate and amazingly innovative as I consider all his work, no matter the period in his career. He did lose me for a few years, during his fusion explorations, but the sheer total work over decades stands as a giant now, crossing genres and evolving magnificently.

Edited by patricia

blue%20note%20186_thumb_1.jpg

Toshiba Japan pressing, which sounds really good.

bluenote3%20031_1_thumb.jpg

Liberty pressing. Two session. Cahrles Tolliver and Stanley Turrentine on 3 cuts on side one; Tolliver and Bennie Maupin on 3 cuts on side 2. Interesting contrast. Turrentine is swinging, bluesy, soulful, pretty straight-ahead. Maupin plays more "out," more probing lines, and Tolliver is more out in front in the 2nd session, which, BTW, I happen to like quite a bit.

c76987t960i.jpg

BN Rare Groove series.

ea_2.JPG

Benny Carter- "Cosmopolite" Japan pressing.

Leeway 

Posted: Dec 4 2004, 06:57 PM

Reading and spinning records this afternoon:

user posted image

Joanne Brackeen - "Ancient Dynasty" - Columbia/Tappan Zee.

With Joe Henderson, Eddie Gomez, Jack DeJohnette. Don't think this one made it to CD-- should though. Everyone plays hard on this one.

That's a damn fine album, isn't it? It's really a shame it hasn't reached CD. Think I'll reach for my vinyl tonight...

f60096cnuca.jpg

Donald Byrd 'Byrd In Flight' Blue Note 47 W 63rd mono pressing. Some lovely Mobe on this one and the playing of Byrd and Mclean is pretty excellent too. Highly recommended!

To be followed up with two UK 'Stateside' pressings of 'Eric Dolphy/Booker Little Memorial Album' and Charles McPherson 'Bebop Revisited !' The Stateside LPs were pressed by EMI in the mid-60s and invariably sound better than their US Prestige counterparts..