• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up 5 titles in Blue Note/Toshiba's latest heavy vinyl reissue series. I'm playing Mobley's "Workout" right now. Sounds fine to my ears. Not earth-shattering or anything but not bad. The vinyl is quiet as can be.

any one else have any thoughts re these recent Japanese vinyls, ?

is there a list any where?

MOMOFUKU- Elvis Costello and the Imposters- Lost Highway 2LP very good set reminds me of Blood and Chocolate , I'd rather lost track of his output since Spike but on this evidence he's as strong as he's ever been. Recommended.

Next up Bluesnik J Maclean- 2LP 45 rpm set- I want to hear what all the fuss is about...

Next up Bluesnik J Maclean- 2LP 45 rpm set- I want to hear what all the fuss is about...

Good man. I think mine is 'in the mail'. Let us know what you think.

Just spinning JJ Johnson/Kai Winding 'The Great Kai & JJ' (Impulse Am-Par, stereo)

Edited by sidewinder

Good man. I think mine is 'in the mail'. Let us know what you think.

Bear in mind that this is the only Music Matters LP I have ever heard. My local HiFi shop from which I've sourced all my gear over the last 4 years had a vinyl day today. Diverse vinyl came up with a shed load of new vinyl. The MM sets are very dear at £47.50 each. I chose Bluesnik cos it's a really great session and I only have it on a McMaster 80s CD.

The sound , package is realy excellent but I'm still doubtful I'd buy more of these given the extreme cost. I also picked up Somethin Else and Cool and Struttin in recent Japanese issues (TOJJ 6501 & 6502). These were £29 and sound no better or worse than the MM set. All are a little quieter than Classics reissues I've got of BN material (only 4 so far). So I'm still fence sitting re the MM sets, if they can be had cheaper I might bite. Pity True Blue don't sell them with their "useful" attitude to customs valuation.

These TOJJ sets are billed as 100th Anniversary of Alfred Lion and claim RVG mastering (hopefully not digital !!). Very impressed with these 180gm issues, altogether rather more practical than 45rpm.

Yeah, the McMaster CD doesn't sound the greatest so the MM is a big step up.

A cheaper alternative might be to buy from Ron at Music Matters direct. They are just under $50 so with the favourable exchange rate it's about £25 plus shipping. I did see one of the sets (the Lou Donaldson + 3 I think) at a Diverse Vinyl stand some time ago and £47.50 is a bit steep (although cheap I guess compared to an original).

Yeah, the McMaster CD doesn't sound the greatest so the MM is a big step up.

A cheaper alternative might be to buy from Ron at Music Matters direct. They are just under $50 so with the favourable exchange rate it's about £25 plus shipping. I did see one of the sets (the Lou Donaldson + 3 I think) at a Diverse Vinyl stand some time ago and £47.50 is a bit steep (although cheap I guess compared to an original).

shipping is likely to be around £8 I would guess , then import tax/ DHL handling fee etc could add another £15 ( based on my experience with big mosaic orders) easily making it hardly any cheaper.

Bob Dylan - JOHN WESLEY HARDING - mono Sundazed reissue

Bob Dylan - BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME - mono Sundazed reissue

I bought John Wesley Harding the day it came out (those were the days - a new Dylan, a new Ornette, a new Cecil - had to hear them right away!), and never knew that a mono version existed til I heard the Sundazed issue. At least to my ears, the music is better served by the mono version.