Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

The record was still sealed and I am giving its first spin. My word!! No wonder so many people are prepared to pay so much for original copies. This is just incredible.

Edited by ASNL77

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

The record was still sealed and I am giving its first spin. My word!! No wonder so many people are prepared to pay so much for original copies. This is just incredible.

Is the opening side of the LP off-vertical, as if the guillotine was cutting the thing at wrong angle? Every one of this title I've ever seen has had that !

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

Is the opening side of the LP off-vertical, as if the guillotine was cutting the thing at wrong angle? Every one of this title I've ever seen has had that !

Mine's in storage, else I'd check the labels. It's mono and sounds like a bat out of hell!

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

Yes it is. I hadn't spotted it until you mentioned it. It is pretty obvious once you know it.

Question about original BN titles: Do some records have a NY label on one side and a 47 west 63 rd on the other? Are these real original records?

Edited by ASNL77

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

Yes it is. I hadn't spotted it until you mentioned it. It is pretty obvious once you know it.

Question about original BN titles: Do some records have a NY label on one side and a 47 west 63 rd on the other? Are these real original records?

Often BNs are pretty confused about labels, better check the stampers out on dead wax: look for the "ear" and "vangelder" or "RVG" stampers, if you want to be sure you got an early pressing.

Lee Morgan Cornbread NY

Can't seem to find my 'Cornbread' at the moment ( ;) ) but I think this one was issued early on in the Liberty era - the front cover art should have 'Liberty' on it, even though the labels are NY USA.

It would appear that the 'collectable' version of this title is the one with the straight side ! :lol:

Re: 47W63rd mixes - There was a transitional period where some titles (Hank's 'Roll Call' comes to mind) had 'NY USA' on one side and '47W63'rd on the other, usually with deep groove and ear.

Edited by sidewinder

Labels don't always denote original - I have seen W 63rd labels on non-Van Gelder (Liberty-era) vinyl.

I have a few of them - often stereos with 'Van Gelder' and no 'ear' - and they can sound very good indeed. Suprisingly good, in fact !

Edited by sidewinder

Cal Tjader - Greatest Hits Vol. 2 - Fantasy (stereo, brown label 70s reissue).

A nice one-stop shopping collection.

I think I have more albums by Cal Tjader than any other single artist. At least 30 of them, spread out over at least 5 sections of my record accumulation.

De-flowered a brand new Grado stylus with this album tonight!

Edited by Teasing the Korean