• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monk--Brilliant Corners (Riverside, blue label)--somewhat abused but plays better than looks, I couldn't skip it for $5. What puzzles me is that it says Stereo, but I can't really tell the difference between channels if I go all the way from right to left.

Stereo or "SpectroSonic"?

Monk--Brilliant Corners (Riverside, blue label)--somewhat abused but plays better than looks, I couldn't skip it for $5. What puzzles me is that it says Stereo, but I can't really tell the difference between channels if I go all the way from right to left.

It says Stereo on the jacket and label.

It says Stereo on the jacket and label.

Strange, I though it was a mono recording. I just checked Fantasy Riverside cd box set. On the booklet they reported RLP 12-226 for mono and RLP 1174 for stereo, but no trace of Riverside RLP 1174 on Goldmine's book, nor I found a sold copy on eBay, but it's definitely on Riverside catalog. So it appears that it isn't very common in original stereo, if is it 'stereo'?

I've the Analogue's Monk Tenor Session vinyl set too, "Brilliant Corners" is a 'Spectrosonic', no 'stereo' on label and cover, 'Monk's Music' has 'stereophonic' on label and cover. The cover's artwork is pretty the same of original, as usual with these reissues. So I am wondering why they use the mono master for BC and the stereo one for MM.

Michel?

Edited by porcy62

Is the photo of the five Monks on the cover of the mono issue of this LP in black and white? I could have sworn reissues of this have his photo in color, but on this LP he is in black and white; in fact the only color on the cover is Brilliant Corners in red.

I need to listen through headphones to see if I can detect any stereo image at all.