What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I did peek  -_-

- they have a tuba player (Don Butterfield, Ray Draper),

- both were recorded by RVG,

- both were supervised by Bob Weinstock.

- or ???

Sharp as ever Brownie ;) . I actually missed the Weinstock connection.

But to the three you mention, let me add that both are Pestige dates, and that both have liner notes by Ira Gitler. So, 5 points of similarity (so far).

In addition, they were recorded within about 8 months of each other, the Melle in August 1956, and the McLean in Feb. 1957.

plus, both Mellé and McLean start with the letter M

The odd thing is that I pulled these two LPs off the shelf at random, and only later noticed the connections.

both from the "M" section, I presume.

Never underestimate the obvious dear Watson!

;)

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

both from the "M" section, I presume.

Never underestimate the obvious dear Watson!

I wish! :lol:

I promise you neither my vinyl or CDs or in ANY kind of order. We had planned to move, so much of it remains in boxes, and what's on the shelf was basically put there simply to get it off the floor. When I look for a record, it's like going to a rummage sale ^_^ . It's taken me a week to find my copy of Ayler's "Spiritual Unity," and then only by happenstance. Ther eis neither an "M" section, nor an "C" section ( ^_^ ) nor any other kind of section (although I wish it were otherwise). So, never overestimate the obvious dear Couw ;)

This must be Verve day:

Buddy De Franco-Live Date with Herbie Mann, Vic Feldman, Barney Kessel,Pete Jolly,Bob Hardaway, Scott LaFaro and Stan Levy.

Buddy DeFranco-Closed Session

with Georgie Auld, Don Fagerquist, Carl Perkins,Leroy Vinneger,Feldman,Kessel and Levy.

Mulligan Meets Getz-On side one they switch horns with Stan on Bari and Gerry on Tenor.

Freddie Roach playing tonight:

- Down To Earth (with Percy France),

- Mo' Greens Please (with Conrad Lester)

both BN NYK labels, in glorious mono sound...

That 'Down To Earth' in mono is a winner ! :wub:

Just re-levelled my deck with a spirit level. Very noticeable improvements in sonic quality. Maybe the house is sinking.. ?

Currently spinning the following:

Lou Donaldson 'The Natural Soul' BN NY USA mono :tup

Donald Byrd 'Byrd In Flight' BN 47W63rd mono (non deep-groove).

Currently spinning the following:

Lou Donaldson 'The Natural Soul' BN NY USA mono :tup

Donald Byrd 'Byrd In Flight' BN 47W63rd mono (non deep-groove).

Spun along the same lines last night!

Lou Donaldson - Gravy Train (Blue Label with RVG)

Donald Byrd - Black Jack (Liberty RVG)

also hit...

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues (OJC... just picked this up and expected Dolphy to dominate, but Nelson acquits himself well)

Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come (Revenant 3LP set on clear vinyl... another recent pick up... didn't own this in it's original form, but now realize how much I've been missing. GREAT set and highly rec'd)

B00000JAFI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Prestige 7140. This is a West 50th Street pressing.

f84328s23i1.jpg

Riverside, this copy a Victor Japan pressing. In one of those weird coincidences that I've been running into lately, these two albums (not shelved together) turned out to have something unusual in common.

Edited by Leeway

Johnny Cash's last few LP's are pretty good.  Other than that....????

Yes, Cash would be an exception, although one could argue that he was not a C&W artist, especially in terms of contemporary C&W; more of a roots music artist, who incorporates blues, folk, gospel, rock and country.

I was admittedly being facetious about C&W, but it remains one of the few genres of music that I mostly cannot abide. Today's version of C&W often sounds like cheezy Hallmark cards set to rudimentary arangements, or songs penned from the start to be used in Chevy pickup truck commercials. "Ooooh, my wife and dog done gone and left me and I sure do miss my dog, oooh..." ^_^:rolleyes:

Edited by Leeway

Some pretty bad country music.....

Don't tell your friends you can burn vinyl to CD unless you want to be doing this now and then. :(

What other kind of country music is there? B-)

For me, most of it after Hank Williams would qualify, especially current C&W.

Clem, my father, a HUGE jazz guy, only liked Hank Williams in the country genre. In his estimation, everyone who came after him was a poseur.

I would add George Jones to that and I still listen to Hank's early stuff and to George on occasion.

Kind of a mixed bag so far today

Dizzy with the Mitchell Ruff Duo In Concert-Mainstream

Eddie Condon-Tiger Rag-World Pacific with Rex Stewart

Ted Heath At The Palladium vol 3 London, with the excellent Ronnie Verrell on cans. IMO Verrell could have played in any big band in the States, had he decided to come over here.