Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting the day with

Rejoice! Red Mitchell Cello Debut At The Renaissance- Pacific Jazz.

This was a nice quintet with Red on cello a la Sam Jones, Jim Hall guitar, Frank Strazzeri piano, Jimmy Bond bass and Frank Butler drums.

I doubt if this will ever come out on cd since it was not recorded very well. I think PJ either bought or leased the session after the fact, but once you get used to the sound, the music is great.

e989958iwfn.jpg

one of the worst cover designs ever.

it's so bad, it's good again.

what *were* "they" thinking?

Reid Miles, the designer behind so many terrific Blue Note covers, did the cover design for this Clifford Jordan LP. I'll agree that it's not up to his usual standards, and if one didn't know who did the design, probably wouldn't guess it was by Reid Miles. It's a curiously static and bland design, although I like the photograph qua photograph.

Compare it to the other Clifford Jordan album from the same year, which I think is a lot more dynamic:

e973473h3dn.jpg

Reid Miles, the designer behind so many terrific Blue Note covers, did the cover design for this Clifford Jordan LP. I'll agree that it's not up to his usual standards, and if one didn't know who did the design, probably wouldn't guess it was by Reid Miles. It's a curiously static and bland design, although I like the photograph qua photograph.

Louis Smith fell pray to the same photo cut-out jobs. Though those are not as silly as this one.

Sam Rivers 'Contours' in the mono NY USA version. A wonderful and very under-rated Blue Note 60s session. I don't think Rivers has bettered this one.

Also been playing a bundle of Japanese Atlas pressings. 'Angel Wings' by Jack Sheldon and 'His West Coast Friends' and Sonny Stitt 'Groovin' High' - ditto. Art Pepper features most prominently on both of these, which were also included in the CD format 'Hollywood All Stars' set. Good music, beautifully presented by Atlas.

Edited by sidewinder

e168486wslv.jpg

Atlantic 1223. Warner-Pioneer Japan pressing, Mono, great sound, fine bop playing. The OBI strip designates the particular series which includes this LP as "Jazz-Forever Excellent 2," not fluidly expressed but, hey, isn't that what we all want ^_^

d06757p47vn.jpg

Blue Note, blue label, black "b," Van Gelder in the dead wax. Excellent sound. The title refers to the civil rights activists fighting discrimination on public transportation in the South in the early 60s.

89_1_b.JPG

Phil Woods, Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, Alan Dawson, "Musique Du Bois," MUSE 5037. A good group, and I think essentially MUSE's rythym section, but some really fine playing by Woods. Also excellent sound.

Edited by Leeway

Three East Wind direct to disc from late 70's. Love the realistic speed, impact and lack of distortion(especially on the highs) on these.

LA4: Pavane....

The Three

The Great Jazz Trio: Direct From LA

I have these three and will second that comment. Just love the sound of those East Wind Direct-To-Disk. I got hold of the Cedar Walton/Clifford Jordan 'Pentagon' around the time it came out and still think it is one of the best.

Art Farmer 'Modern Art'. Original UA stereo pressing. Sublime !

Just listened to my avatar recording. Henry Lowther Band 'Child Song' on Deram. An obscure but wonderful British jazz classic. One of the old BBC radio jazz programmes ('Jazz Today', I think) used to use one of the tracks ('Travelling Song') as a theme tune. Always liked this one.

Next on deck it will be the Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland 'Sextet' 2LP set on Rearward.

Edited by sidewinder